Brake Rotor (year?) Differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've done a disc brake conversion on my FJ40 years ago and it's time to change the pads and rotors. I was told the donor axle was from an 83 hilux but I just got parts from Napa and the rotors are different than the ones that came off the donor axle. Does anyone know what I'm running? Mine just bolt to the hub where the new 83s I bought only have two bolts and then accept the wheel studs. Pic below.
PSX_20160905_132621.jpg

Those hubs would be from an IFS rig if they are held in by 6 bolts.

They came from a solid axle, I did the swap myself. It looks like its the rotor that some 2wd trucks use (I haven't confirmed years), and 1980 4wd trucks used them. No parts stores near me have them of course, so I'll get to ordering. I love it when I end up having the oddball :)

It's not a 2wd rotor as they only have 5 wheel studs. Also just because it came off of a solid axle doesn't mean it's for sure a solid axle hb. You can put the IFS hubs on in order to gain 3" of width. It does look like it's a 1980's rotor though looking at Napa's website. Interesting as I thought 79-85 4wd rotors were all held on by two bolts and the wheel studs.

I thought the same thing.
The pads I bought (for an 83) are the same as the ones I removed, so 79-85 4wd must use the same caliper/pad. I wish my hubs would work with these new 83 rotors as they are much easier to get locally. Oh well, I'm taking them back to get some 1980s.

Napa is listing a single-piston caliper and a dual-piston caliper for 1980 4wd. Mine are the dual-piston. They also have a boot/seal kit for the calipers so I'll do that while I'm at it.

Last edited:
Pads are all the same. 79/80 rotors are different like yours with all the bolts. I believe the 82 and up were the two bolt type. Vented rotors are IFS, solid rotors from solid axle 79-85.

Did some looking at the diagrams, turns out the pre 8/80 front rotors bolted to the back of the hub like that. Is either rotor vented? The SA rotors were solid.

You probably have 76-78 land cruiser hubs/knuckles. The rotors bolt to the back of the hub- I have them on my 74 fj40. They also have the smaller bolt pattern on the steering arms and lower trunnion bearing caps. The birfields are also longer than the 79 and later birfields- They require either the long body Asco hub or aftermarket hubs (warn, avm, selectro, etc.) Mini-trucks (79-85) have the larger bolt pattern knuckles but used a solid rotor instead of the vented land cruiser rotor, and use the short body asin hub like the later land cruisers...
HTH,
Will

Napa had one rotor in the country! AutoZone had two in the state and will be here tomorrow. Napa has the calipers at a hub and will be here tomorrow.

My LC is a 12/72, the donor axle is a pickup axle and not another cruiser axle. I am running the pickup outters, hubs, the whole setup. It's been a few years since I did the swap so most likely the guy I bought the axle from was wrong about the year, or I misremembered.

I had done the same swap way back in the late 80s.Was a bit ahead of the curve back then. HUGE improvement in stopping power.

If you want an extra set, I just reposted a pair of rotors on CL HERE
Centric Parts 121.44015 C-Tek

I wouldn't know how much shipping to HIT IT! would be. :flipoff2:

AutoZone had two in the state and will be here tomorrow.

Might be too late, but I will NEVER EVER buy rotors from AutoZone again. Mine are badly uneven now, they were bad within a year and less than 8,000 miles. Junk.

Might be too late, but I will NEVER EVER buy rotors from AutoZone again. Mine are badly uneven now, they were bad within a year and less than 8,000 miles. Junk.

Ditto. I have to frequently have mine turned. They warp easy. Once there isn't enough metal to turn them I will replace them with something else.

Ditto. I have to frequently have mine turned. They warp easy. Once there isn't enough metal to turn them I will replace them with something else.

Yeah it's to late guys, they're already installed. If I get 8k miles, that will be probably 20 years of driving. If they warp I'll be sure not to buy them again.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom