1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Light

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by davidfj406080, Apr 17, 2003.

1. davidfj406080

davidfj406080

:-/ On my '96 FZJ80, the brake light illuminates evry faintly sometimes, easier to notice at night. It does not seem to be the fluid level. Then if you pull on the E-brake it will light up bright. Sound familiar? Does it mean anything?Thanks-

2. Beowulf

Beowulf

David,

It might be the sensor in the master cylinder cap. Unplug it and see if the brake light goes off.  Another symptom would be that the cruise control may not work when the brake light is dimly lit.

The fix is to inspect the resevoir cap if unplugging causes the light to remain off and replace if you can't find a problem.

-B-

3. Underdog

Underdog

If it is the light for the parking brake then maybe it is the parking brake on/off switch. My light comes on occasionally when it feels like it and goes off when I jiggle the brake handle. When I get a chance I'll see if the switch is loose or maybe needs to be replaced.

If I'm way out in left field then just disregard!

4. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

No UnderDog your not way off. There is only two switches in that circuit, the e-brake handle and the fluid level. Unplugging one at a time should reveil the culprit. But from past posts it's usually the fluid level switch.

Rick

5. davidfj406080

davidfj406080

;) THANKS, GUYS, i'LL TROUBLESHOOT IT AS SOON AS I GET A MINUTE TO CATCH UP!! sorry for shouting! It's weird, the light is so faint that unless it is at night it is not noticeable, switches are either on or off, not variable resistance or whatever so they get brighter- I thought it could be stray light from a nearby switchlight, I'm used to the older Cruisers...

6. Lordulthan

Lordulthan

Wow...I just logged on because I have the exact same problem.... at first i thought that it was my fluid level getting too low... but now that i have this new found advice... i'm gonna give it a shot. Because I'm a specfic guy... can we do this step by step? I unplug the brake fluid sensor... if thats the culprit it WILL go off? If not, then it might be the brake handle sensor?

7. CJF

CJF

1) Make sure the brake fluid's not low.

2) Unplug the sensor. If the light goes out (almost guaranteed it will), then yes, that's the problem.

3) Clearly you did search, but still, we've done this about once a week lately... ah well...

4) Welcome. :)

Curtis