Brake guide pin lube? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scottm

SILVER Star
Threads
I've always used high-temp moly grease for brake guide pins, after trying things like anti-seize. I just did my rear brake pads, and the guide pins seemed to have rubber dampers and a clear lube. Everything was in excellent shape, so I put it back together without adding lube.

This looked like dielectric grease (silicone grease), which I use for a lot of things with rubber seals. It's good to 400*F, I'm thinking this is the stuff. Googling around, silicone grease seems to be the proper lube for brakes, I'm planning to use it for my front brakes.

Anyone heard any different?

I just did the rears on my friends 03 and his pins were dry, to the point that the inside pad (piston side) was gone while there was ample life left in the outer. We just used Napa Sil-Glyde (what the parts guy recommended).

It is a bugger to get the boots off and back on. Removing the outer shield with the 2 little 8mm bolts makes getting to the boots much easier.

Hmm, my boots came off easily, not as snug as I'd like. Probably ten-cent parts if I'd thought to add them when I ordered from cDan.

I bent the shield up just a little to get a socket on the guide pin bolts, maybe that helped.

I've got a tub of brake caliper grease that I use on all things brake caliper related. Any auto parts store should have it.

We just used Napa Sil-Glyde (what the parts guy recommended).

That's good stuff. Been using it for a while on various vehicles.

Hmm, my boots came off easily, not as snug as I'd like. Probably ten-cent parts if I'd thought to add them when I ordered from cDan.

I bent the shield up just a little to get a socket on the guide pin bolts, maybe that helped.

I should rephrase - bugger to get back on. off is the easy part!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom