brake caliper rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did the birfield re-pack dance this weekend and noticed that I was getting some uneven wear in some of my brake-pads. Looks like one piston is pushing a little harder than the other, causing the pads to wear at a slant.

Who has rebuilt their brake calipers? I guess Toyota has a kit, but that's about all I know about it. Once you have the calipers off, is it about a single afternoon gig? Way off? How much is the kit?

95 FZJ, 96K

I forget how much the kits are. Less than $30. Anyway, the rebuild is not technically difficult, but you need a way to get the pistons out of the calipers. You're advised not to split the caliper unless needed. The kit includes new boots, o-rings, boot springs, and grease IIRC.

I usually use a screwdriver to lever out the pistons, but a compressed air source works well if available. May as well rebuild the master cylinder, too. &nbsp:Don't forget to bleed the system.

Dunno how long Shocker - but I got my rebuild kit from my fronts in the garage from Sir Hocker.

Some day will get around to it :eek: - probably like after the VSV
bandage.gif

I did the rear caliper rebuild. It took for ever. Get extra boots, as you need 2 small screwdrivers to get the boot on all the way a round. Just when you think you have it.. you don't. THen you have to start over. I ripped one boot and had to used the old one. As for the front, when you get good at it, come over and do mine ;)
kurt

Rebuilt mine about 6 mos ago. Not too big of a deal. There is a rebuild kit available (20-25 bucks, does 1 pr). Here are some things to look out for:
1. have an air source (compressor) to extract the pistons. I used a bicycle pump and some tape.
2. have a brake cylinder hone and stones
3. might as well get new pistons (likely that a piston is corroded, causing your problem)
4. take your time and be careful and patient with the seals (easily trashed)
5. might as well flush the whole system with new fluid since you will be breaking the hoses loose.
6. be careful not to foul the hoses with debris/ grease
7. get lots of brake cleaner
8. repack the wheel bearings and set pre load (need required stuff for that, see Jim Phillips write up on this board)

I apologize if I stated the obvious, just trying to help out. 8) :D

Thanks for the input everyone. For less than $30, I'll probably buy two kits in case I screw up some of the parts.

I do have an air compressor, so it looks like I'm golden there...

I did the re-pack and pre-load thing this last weekend when I did my birfs, so this will be a 'caliper only' deal. I could probably use a brake fluid flush anyway, so that's not a problem at all.

If anyone has any additional info, please add it on! :G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom