Builds Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What brand ratchets?
Nothing fancy. One was ACE hardware brand that I've had for years. The other was Stanley. I know they weren't high quality which is why I didn't shed a tear about either one. But they both had lifetime warranties so new ones were found quickly.

Dude I have wrenched so hard on my husky sets and nothing like that haha. The only one I jacked up was the one I welded by mistake with the battery... What you did there was impressive.

I added a couple BH3D emblems last night to replace the factory sombrero ones. This one on the rear hatch as well as the one on the grill.

And I was pretty excited about the number in the bottom left for the last tank of gas. Yes, it's mostly highway miles but that may be the best I've ever had for a full tank in an 80.

What brand/kind is that monitor your using?

Great looking 80 BTW!

I have a spare gopro mount and that's where I want my ultragauge... was it pretty easy to get those to work together?

Hey Box Rocket. I was in SLC UT a few weeks back for the OR Trade Show, and walking back to my hotel one day I spotted a super-awesome FZJ80. I Just stumbled on your thread and realized that its the same 80 that I saw. Great job man your 80 is well built and sharp looking!

**Prinsu Design Roofrack teaser.** I can't begin to describe how freakin cool this rack is going to be. Zach Scott is doing a fantastic job with it. We test fit the very first set of 80 Series rails on my truck today. *Don't mind the backward TEQ" , the guys that laser cut it forgot to flip the logo for this side. It's getting fixed. Rails are 1/4" aluminum. Might be hard to tell in the pics but the rail has one bend in it. It sits in the rail and angles in toward the center slightly and then goes vertical. The rails will be powder coated right away. Crossbars are black anodized aluminum and they are BEEFY. I love how this rack runs the entire length of the gutter to spread the load over a much larger surface. You can see 4 sets of 4 holes on the rail (laid out in a square), these will be where the mounting feet attach. so it will be held to the truck with 4 feet per side. It will have a wind deflector across the front and I like how the angle of it matches the angle of the windshield. I mentioned this before but this rack with require removal of the OEM roofrack. I wanted it to be as low profile as possible and it's about as tight to the roof as we could get it without worrying about any contact.

Should have it powder coated and ready to go in the next 10 days or so. Just in time for an early spring Moab trip! Can't wait.

Wow, thats looks sweet, so damn clean ! I cannot wait to see the rest of that rack. Are they gonna be for sale ?

Rgds…..

Finished up the sliders over the weekend. Not many people use the Trail Gear sliders, but I ran a set on my old '93 for years and was very impressed with them and how well they've held up. As will any slider, proper gussets at the frame are key to keep them from flexing. There is some fabrication involved with the Trail Gear sliders since they are made for Tacomas. The sliders ship with the main slider fully built but with the legs un attached so that you can set the angle of the slider where you want it. The forward leg that is supplied is too short so that what you need to handle on your own. I used some 1.5" 0.25" wall square tube for that front leg. It's crazy beefy but since it's a longer leg it helps to have heavier material. I made some big gussets from 0.5" plate. The sliders are welded to the frame using some 3/16" scab plates on the frame with the slider/gussets welded to the frame plates. On the passenger side I needed to bend the forward leg to pass under the cats. All in all I think they turned out nice and for the cost, they are the best bang for the buck sliders out there for the 80 IMO even with the extra work involved. Hard to go wrong for roughly $200. You'll want the 67" versions.
https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/Rock_Slider_Kit_58_/i_0_0_3212/_120001-1-KIT.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom