Bought a small tractor yesterday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i bought a Massey Ferguson 1010 tractor. 16 horse diesel made by toyosha. it is a 1984 model. has front end loader and 54" belly mower. engine is locked down. had water on one cylinder and it stuck the piston. rain got in muffler which pointed straight up. anyone have any engine parts for these? MF made them from 1984 till 1991.

Those are cool little tractors. I have a Ford 1310 that is a bit bigger (19 hp), and it's a nice size for utility work, mowing, and tillage.

Look familiar? :D
1991_Massey-Ferguson_1010.jpg

I would recommend buying a manual to start with. This one runs $28.95

http://www.agkits.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=314

This is the Chiltons equivalent as far as tractors go. You can buy a factory manual, but they run a lot more. My CAT 247B manual ran around $300 and my Ford 1310 factory manual wasn't cheap either.

Just because I like tractors, I did a little research and found some parts for you. ;)

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/store/model_parts.cgi?SearchArea=MF&&md=1010

I worked for U.C. Davis Ag Engineering for a few years. I love tractors, what can I say? :D

They also list 2 manuals:

MF 1010 Gear Shift Trans, Dsl, Compact Service Manual 1387 Pages (Part No: MH-S-MF1010+) $134.95

MF 1010 Hydro Trans, Dsl, Compact Service Manual 1387 Pages (Part No: MH-S-MF1010+) $134.95

More manuals:
http://www.ssbtractor.com/tractor_manual_search.cgi

These guys are also a big parts supplier. Dealerships are really expensive, so it's nice to buy refurbished or remanufactured stuff to save some money.
http://www.asapagparts.com/index.php?page=massey_ferguson

Good luck.

Toyosha made the exact same tractor for Simplicity as well as Allis Chalmers. It depended on the color of the hood. I had a Hydrostat drive and a stick shift.

You can get all the part for them that you want. Toyosha is still in business and still making tractors for major manufacturers.

thanks for all the info. i got 3 factory manuals with the tractor. tore down yesterday. 2 cylinders and pistons still good. middle cylinder piston still stuck. soaking it a couple of days. it will need a sleave. all bearings good. crank good. probably do a valve job. it only had 880 hours on it but it has set since 1999. i called massey for prices. 3 pistons $323. rings $338. gasket set $278.
depends on stuck piston if i rebuild or give up on it.

You can look on line for rebuild tractor engines. The MF deaelr would be a good place to start. There is a market for then just like any other engine. You would have to send them you block for a core. They really do not care if the piston is seized or not.

Might be cheaper.

update on tractor. had to sleeve all three cylinders. salvaged all three piston so went back standard. decided to put in new rod and mail bearings even though old ones looked new. so with sleeve work at machine shop and buying rings, bearings, gaskets, seals,hoses, belts and water pump i have spent $1300. parts are really expensive at the massey ferguson dealer. doing all labor myself. oh wel i only gave $400 for tractor, loader and 54" mower.

Congrats!

For the price you paid for the tractor you definately have room to spend some money on it. I sold my last 23hp Toyosha built Simplicity for $5,800. It had a loader and a rear blade.

Last edited:
my father in law had a yanmar for years. couldn't break it with a hammer. $1700 is a great deal for a tractor, even when you figure in your own labor. with only 880 hours the rest of the tractor should last for years.

Sweat equity is worth investing in. Those small tractors are worth gold these days. They call them "Weekenders" in the industry because all of the small ranch and property owners only use them on the weekends to get chores done when they get home from their regular jobs.

Every time I walk into the Ford / New Holland dealership, they ask me if I want to sell my Ford 1310. They are getting so many requests for older used stuff, that they are practically working as a brokerage as much as a new tractor dealership.

Everyone is buying property in the Sierra foothills and elsewhere to retire, and they all want something small enough to mow pasture, but large enough to haul firewood, a splitter, operate a post hole digger, and heavy enough to grade, muck out barns, etc... It was definitely worth the time investment to rebuild that MF.

I'd LOVE to find the deal you have. I've been going back and forth on dropping upwards of $16K for the coolest little tractor I've ever seen - a Kubota BX23, or maybe 24 or 25 by now. It's more power than that that I don't really need but it comes equipped with a neat little backhoe along with it's front loader. Every time I see one I go nuts and my wife has to calm me down from going to see Dan the Kubota dealer local. He's already expressed how happy he'd be to sell me one but I know he's lying because he can't keep the darned thing in stock and could sell three times as many as Kubota will let him have.

Late edit: have outgrown the little Kubota BX-24, even before buying it. The longer we think/learn about tractors the more we find that could be done with one. Now up to about 30 hp....

Last edited:
i think all i have left to replace is the hydraulic lines on the frontend loader. i need tractor running so i can tell which ones leak. i can see two that have cracks in them. i think i will go ahead and repaint it while i have it apart.

I'm so looking at learning all abut compacts right now....We aim to close on the purchase of our next home in the end of April. Finally will be able to justify tractor. reviewing MF 2300 on line - used for ~10K with loader & 60" MMM (belly mower)

this is my first tractor with a loader. i can see lots of uses for that thing.

The easiest way to dig a hole is to put a pile of dirt where you want the hole.

You will see what I mean.

LOL

That, or buy a case of preformed post holes. Open the case and throw one on the ground. Insert post. Piece of cake.

tractor update

got the tractor running monday. installed the frontend loader but still working on the belly mower. runs realy well and lots of power from the 3 cylinder diesel.
mf 1010 007.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom