bottom dash pads without radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have seen pictures of this but no one that sells them. Any ideas?
Help

I bought mine from Mud but they said made in Australia on the back. Maybe an Aussie can chime in?

My '70 had the pad you are speaking of...and it was in great shape too!
switches.jpg
FJ40 018.jpg

The one in my 70 is still in good shape as was the one in my 68 when I removed it back in the nineties. They don't get the sun the upper dash does and tend to last longer. Probably still have the one out of the 68 as well as another one stored away in a box I haven't seen in years.

Racer65, where are you?

I think fjgoober has already made "regular" dash pads... I can see these being very popular with those of us using a center console mounted radio.

I've got this on the to do list. I have a buddy that has a 70 and he has been yelling at me to get it going. I get a couple of requests a year for the older lower dash pads.

I have had a lot of people order the newer lower dash pads to install in the older with the intentions of installing a radio. However, I can understand that there are people out there who would like the original look.

I'll get back on it and see about getting some patterns done in the next couple of weeks.

Just thought I would provide an update.

Sunday night I very, very, very carefully took the lower dash pad off the 1970. That thing was hard to get off without tearing it up. Only been on there for 45 years!!

It's at the patternmaker's waiting on to be quoted. The left hand pad appears to be the same. I will check bolt & screw locations during daylight hours.

Metal on the back of the long pad is obviously different but we will design one for the inserts. Planning on building these the same as the newer lower dash pads with a bolt sticking through the metal dash, allowing the one to fasten a nut on the backside. It seems that the majority of people like this better than the pin/clip method.

The metal will be the slow link in getting these to market. My guy is swamped.

I'll keep you updated.

Merry Christmas

Pretty sure your right on the left side being the same. Even thought the rod for the turn signal was gone after the 72 model the cutout remained. Same with the cut in the tub and instrument cluster for the column shift never went away. I agree on the bolt to replace the pin and clips. I seen one of mine today when looking for another part and everything was since intact but was probably removed over twenty years ago.

Update,

Patternmaker evidently didn't want to jack with it as his quote was outrageous. They are swamped working about 15 hrs. overtime per week. Started working on the pattern myself in my spare time.

Finished up the bottom of the pattern Saturday night. This will be the side that you see. Pretty pleased with it, looks good. Will try and finish the top this week and then send off to have a tool made.

Should be available soon. If you don't hear about it rattle my chains and I'll get back on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom