Boiling Coolant reserve tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
Very cool - nice pictures!

So to recap, you put 1.5F head on a '79 2F block, '79 manifold? and 3FE exhaust manifold?

Nice!

Yes 79 intake manifold.

You got it!

Compression seems good

Checked the compression and all cylinders were offering about 130 psi. The engine was cool, so I will go in again and do it with it warm in the next couple of days (warm makes a difference?) Then after removing the bell housing cover, we managed to check the timing. It seemed to be a little off. I loosended the pinch bolt to turn the distributor and that SOB will not budge! Any ideas? This engine is a 2F (out of a 78). Thanks for the advice and I will keep you all posted.

Randy

Compression sounds good. Warm, or operating temperature does make a difference as it may warp the head enough to cause a leak or whatever.

Use some liquid wrench or WD40 on the dizzy base and see if things loosen up.

Okay. The distributor cap never loosened up so we ended up taking it out from the bottom. I was going to change the oil pan gasket anyway as it was leaking at the rear saddle and spewing oil all over underneath. Taking the old gasket off sucked and now my fingertips are covered in microscopic cuts that keep me from typing fast. After sereral hours of tearing stuff apart, cleaning, going back to the store to get even more oil (who knew it needed 8.5 quarts), adjusting the timing and putting everything back together we went on a test drive!!!!!! Well, it still boils and now there is an even more massive oil leak at the rear saddle. So we took the pan off again and i will go and get another gasket. Turns out the rear saddle gasket was all jacked up when we put it on.....(any secrets). In general it sucked...between it being 100 plus degrees and the flipping wasps at the shed, I had to give up for the day. Maybe we will get this beat sometime this seek. Oh yeah.... I rechecked the compression with a warm engine and all were still at about 130 psi....
I finally took my camera out to take pics to post...but I left it out in the shed. My wife is going to kill me.
Randy

I have the exact same problem right now in my 1975 stock 40. I changed the stat and flushed the radiator. Drove it last night after letting it idle for 30 mins or so. As soon as I drove the thing the temp went way up and boiled over. Found fluid to be cleamn and no smell of gas. I will check plugs this eve. Don't have the tools to do the other testing.
Not sure how the gasket could go bad from sitting... It doesn't see all that much road time but thinking that was what happened.
Keep us posted as to what you find. Changing the head gasket for me is a big job and will suck. But I am thinking it is the next step.

Got the oil pan back on and it does not leak. :) Timing is PERFECT. I even made a little gasket type thing for the OEM radiator cap that seemed to not fit so tight. Drives VERY cool. However, the radiator is still a little noisy....only this time the radiator seems to be hissing from the radiator cap. It could be over filled, so I will wait a day or so to see as some of it will drain out of the draining tube. I did syphon some of the extra fluid out of the overfill bottle this evening after I drove it home. Antifreeze tastes good. No wonder dogs like it. Tomorrow it is suppsoed to be 90 plus degrees here so that will put it all t the test. I will keep everyone posted.
I borrowed the compression tester from my wife's dad. While the title "compression check" seems daunting to a greenhorn mechanic like me it was very simple to do. It seems like a simple tool that would prolly only cost 20 bucks or so at the parts store. i am just guessing. My plan is to go to the car wash tomorrow and spray down the underside and engine. Especially I need to clean the distributor cap. Just kidding.
Randy

Actually, I "invested" in a 15 dollar OEM radiator cap from Eddies Toyota here in town. That was after I bought an 8 dollar one at oreilly's that didn't fix the probelm either. Any other ideas? You're right. I think it is the radiator cap is contributing to the problem, but I am not sure what else can be done other that take the one I JUST bought back to Toyota? They even had to get it sent here from KC.

In the event of excess pressure, my understanding is that the radiator cap is supposed to open up passage to the overflow.

If it is not, or doing it all the time, then you would have a problem with:

- Cap
- Neck (where cap seats)
- Overflow passage off radiator neck
- Excess pressure in cooling system

Don't think it could not be more than one of the above...

Here is the dealio. My 72 has a 78 engine (2f) and I bought the radiator cap for a 72 (f?). It is slighly differnt from the 78. I went back to Toyota and ordered the 78 just to check if that was the probelm.....it was. The 78 cap solves all problems except for the leaking oil (darn). So if anyone needs a OEM radiator cap for a 72 I have one! Chain and all!
Randy

I parked mine for a while. I am afraid I too have a cracked head and don't want to deal with it til' all my other junk is back together and ready to wheel. Getting closer by the day. Thinking a week from now will be time to tear into it. Guessing mine won't be easy but hoping so after reading all of this.....

Glad to hear yours was a simple fix. Headache but simple in the end. The best type!

Goebs

Good luck....leave no stone unturned...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom