Body Armor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I'm new to the FJ40's, wheelin and such. I've been thinking about some mods and some do it yourself add ons. My first thought is body armor. I have several sheets of Diamond Plate laying around the house, and was wondering if it were possible to make my own armor? I realize that cutting out flat pieces is a chinch... but what about quaters? Is it possible to bend this if I made a jig???

What are your thoughts.

Thanks.

Jford.

go for it!!

i also have some diamond plate and some smooth alum. will probally do somthin similar, thinking about custom dash/instrament panel, probally not quater panels, my cruiser body is all thick a$$ steal the PO fabbed up 18 years ago -- still no rust (except for the whole frame), I dont have the original runnin boards so i was gonna fab up some and use the diamond plate so they look stock.

i might use some sort of alum body armor as a skid plate (I have access up to an inch thick) just not sure how easy alum will slide. if doesnt slide i will use it as a template

good luck keep us posted -- with pics if possible

I took some steel I had to a metal shop and had them roll the rear quarter panels on the same radius as the stock panels. Cutting it was easy and it was alot cheaper than buying some already made.

Mayo,

What was the cost on having the steel rolled? That sounds good.. My quaters are in OK shape... but I've been wanting black diamond plated corners forever.

I was just thinking of making a jig, heating the metal a bit, and then clamp it down and bend! I might make a test strip this weekend and see how it goes....

Jford.

I called around and found a shop that would do both panels for $50. I furnished my own steel. Make sure and tell them you have your own; some of them I called wouldn't do it unless I bought it from them. I made a template by laying a piece of cardboard on top of the curve on the quarterpanel (my top was off). Then I laid a pencil flat against the side of the stock panel with the tip against the cardboard and traced an outline of the curve. I took this to them and they knocked it out in about 10 minutes.

I basically did the same thing as fjmayo, but used 1/8th" alum diamond plate. After I made my templates and cut the alum, I then pop riveted starting at the back and formed the alum around the radius as I drilled/pop riveted my way around. Worked pretty good for $30 total. Helps to have an extra set of hands. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom