Blue fan clutch mod...Thread has gone to hell, read at your own risk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I typed that on my phone and it was meant to read o-ring, lol. I've been able to compress them in once cooled down.
Lol, I just assumed that I had the name wrong...wouldn't be the first time :)

Smitty

Shout out to landtank and his modified clutch fan. Installed it last week and I can't get it to run hotter than 186 degrees.

Everything has cooled down and there is no chance...ugh. I have no idea how this happened.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438647175.416070.jpg

Smitty- did you clean the o-ring with a solvent based cleaner? I'm wondering if it swelled due to chemical incompatibility...

I didn't clean it with anything. The only thing that I can think of is when I pryed the two halves apart if the sudden breaking of the seal stretched the o ring. That is the only thing I can come up with.

Smitty

Anyone have any issues with the o-ring / gasket getting stretched during this process? I can only think that it happened when I separated the two sides to drain. I haven't touched it until I went to put it back together and now it is way too big. Is it safe to assume that this is not replaceable?

I have some "Right Stuff" Gasket maker, would this work as an alternative?

See pic below for pic

Best,

Smitty

View attachment 1115403

yup, I had the same thing happen on the three clutches I changed fluid on - O-ring suddenly was larger

put the O-ring into the freezer for a bit :hillbilly: - it will shrink enough that you'll be able to work it back into fit

seriously, just don't let it get really hard and brittle

I will try that tomorrow. I had it in the fridge today for an hour...maybe that wasn't cold or long enough. I will try fridge tomorrow.

Smitty

freezer

Regarding thermostat adjustments to 95F on these fan clutches, are they usually off? What temps are they typically set to? Are they consistent or all over the place?

the 95* set point was one that I liked to get the performance out of the clutch I wanted with out going higher than a 15k cst oil. The best I can tell most clutches seem to be set around 125* or so and a small amount do vary higher or lower than that. A few that didn't seem to work much at all were set upwards of 135*.

This is from when I was watching things more closely as I now just set them at 95* and move on. So if things have changed I'm not aware of it.

O-ring get larger happened to me too. I put it back on groove and slowly stroked until it shrank.
Just my 2c

Wow that's a ton of reading! I got through a portion of it and will keep reading, but is it necessary to mod the blue clutch? Any of you just bolting it up out of the box and seeing improvements over the stock clutch?
I just replaced the oil with 20k and didn't adjust mine and it helped quite a bit. On a 114 degree day in high the temps only got up to 205 with the ac on and on a dirt road. So under 20 mph. I'll be taking it in the washes to really test it this weekend

I didn't clean it with anything. The only thing that I can think of is when I pryed the two halves apart if the sudden breaking of the seal stretched the o ring. That is the only thing I can come up with.

Smitty

It's common, my guess; the silicone fluid swells/expands the o-ring. I clean the groove well, so it's not slippery. Use care cleaning the o-ring, pulling on it will stretch it more, roll/press it between rags. Then work it into the groove. Most of them go, only remember one that I gave up on.

Anyone have any issues with the o-ring / gasket getting stretched during this process? I can only think that it happened when I separated the two sides to drain. I haven't touched it until I went to put it back together and now it is way too big. Is it safe to assume that this is not replaceable?

I have some "Right Stuff" Gasket maker, would this work as an alternative?

See pic below for pic

Best,

Smitty

View attachment 1115403

Smitty, IIRC it's normal for that gasket to do that. What helped me was to put the gasket in the freezer or fridge for a couple of hours. It will contract and you can pop it into place easier. Landtank's advice works well, also. Just don't try to force with sharp or hard tools as you may damage it.

Ok I'm going to go ahead with the 95F adjustment and fluid upgrade. Regarding the silicone diff fluid, is there a particular brand that is preferred? Team Losi? Associated?

Smitty, IIRC it's normal for that gasket to do that. What helped me was to put the gasket in the freezer or fridge for a couple of hours. It will contract and you can pop it into place easier. Landtank's advice works well, also. Just don't try to force with sharp or hard tools as you may damage it.

I am at a loss. It spent the night in the freezer and doesn't appear to be any smaller than it was before. I have tried to work it in by staring at opposite sides but there is just too much o ring for the groove and there is no way to get it a point where I can put the other half on top of it without huge voids and crushing the exposed o ring. I guess I need to try any find a clutch that someone is trashing and salvage the o ring it or just buy a new clutch.

Thanks for the help and the ideas. I will figure something out.

Best,

Smitty

ACC Toyota here in Atlanta once again took great care of me. They had an old fan clutch that they were going to toss out so they let me have it to get the o ring out. I came home from work today and was able get the o ring out of that one and swapped over to mine. It fit like a glove and I am happy to have this behind me.

Thanks again to Brian, Michael, Towers and crew over at ACC!

Smitty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom