Black Betty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought it was time to start my Thread. Black Betty is a 2000LX470 that I picked up in March from the Mud classifieds. I bought her with 71K on the odometer I am currently at 76K. I searched for a 100 series/LX for about 14 months and had almost decided to give up and go the GX route then I found her. The Previous Owner came up with the name and I feel like it is bad Luck to change it, so Black Betty it is. She is My daily Driver so I can leave my other toy in the garage (FJC). I can not say how great it is to have the wealth of information on Mud it was also one of my driving factors for buying. I got hooked with my FJC and the knowledge from the Blue room forum and have found Mud is just as good if not better. Thanks to all I enjoy reading your post.
Black Betty 1.JPG

I am currently in the Baseline Stage.
1. changed Oil to Mobil1 extended with M1209 filter
2. Replaced both inner and outer tie rods on both ends
3. decided to go ahead and replace steering rack bushings with Whiteline ( This brought back the slight looseness in steering that I had.)
4. Changed out front and rear diff along with transfer case to Mobil1 75-90 synthetic
5. Did full ATF fluid exchange with Mobil1 full synthetic ( can feel a huge difference )
6. Repaired the power antenna ( next time I will do the fixed antenna conversion )
7. Used Leatherique on all interior leather. ( brought some softness back to leather )
8. Replaced Radio with Pioneer unit
9. Replaced front Sway bar bushings and end links
10. Touch up paint where needed.
11. Disabled the auto tilt with techstream ( trying to get ahead of that possible repair )
12. Power steering flush ( switch to Mobile1 att full synthetic )

Things left to do on Baseline
1. Coolant change along with heater T replacement (done)
2. Go through brake (replaced front and rear)

Future plans
1. Replace front bumper with aftermarket
2. When AHC fails replace with 1.5 OME lift ( hope that is not for a while )
3. trying to decide on roof rack Delete VS. Aftermarket
4. When the Michelins wear out change over to the BFG KO2

Last edited:
Speaking of Leatherique, here's a great writeup with pics on how to use it to its fullest potential:

Leatherique Leather Care How-To | Ask a Pro Blog

I've been using the stuff personally and in business for many years, one of my favorite products. The key is to leave the oil on for a long time and let it do the work to eliminate any heavy scrubbing with their cleaner product after.

image.jpeg
Baseline is complete and heading to the smokies for the first of many mild expeditions.

Installed Cobra CB with 4 Ft fire stick and rear labrak mount.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Looks great! Looking forward to your progress.

IMG_1551.JPG
One year update. I have had Betty for a year and 25k Miles. After the initial fluid exchanges and brakes I have had no other issues. The latest has been new shoes went with 265 75r 16 to not mess with possible power loss. Next step will be a little armor in the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom