Black Balsam 2014 October 24-26th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 60 is sitting on 235s and I made it fine. 4 low is your friend.

Glad you made it. :deadhorse: Again, I believe it was a lack of experience on my part. I have never been on a trail like that. I was with my family and no one else. We made it pretty far up the trail (around the other side of the mountain) and came to an obstacle I didn't feel comfortable trying without guidance. I didn't know how to approach it and was worried about flipping over which would have not been good considering. And yes I was in 4 low. Thanks.

Hopefully we can replace that white Jeep in the photos with a white Fj40!

I've actually got a white 72 fj40 at the shop haha. It's a basket case but my grandfather bought it brand new and i inherited it. Dad and I are working on an fj45 as well. Need more fj in my life, the Jeep is fun until you pass 5 more just like it on the way to work.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414588475.686423.jpg

Last edited:
Took the day off from work and got my truck back on the safe side of things.
View attachment 959260
I had probably the hardest and most unorthodox extraction I've had in a while. I remember why I only had 3 bolts in there to begin with, I had broken off an extractor in there a while back. I tried beating, banging, drilling that stupid thing for over an hour and came up with this solution to drill above where the extractor was and beat it out from the backside. There is still plenty of metal around to support the knuckle, eventually I'll try and weld that hole back up. View attachment 959262 Top is the bit of extractor I was trying to get out. Bottom is what my 2 bolts looked like when I got them out. I re-tapped one hole and Heli-coiled 2 more, installed new hardware and lock washers. Would have been real scary to think if that thing went on the highway.

Josh I'd be looking for a new knuckle. Not easy to weld cast and two helicoils is pushing it on that component.

I've actually got a white 72 fj40 at the shop haha. It's a basket case but my grandfather bought it brand new and i inherited it. Dad and I are working on an fj45 as well. Need more fj in my life, the Jeep is fun until you pass 5 more just like it on the way to work.

It may be a basket case, but that body sure looks promising! So you have the 72, the 77, and the 78? Sorry about not taking a picture of the Jeep - we hadn't met at that point and I wasn't sure how you'd feel about a stranger taking shots of your rig. I DID get it in the composite ;)

Haha that's cool. The 78 is gone. I think it ended up in Arkansas. The 77 fj45 is dad and i's project (the cab in the pic). The 72 is really eaten up but has too much history being my grandfathers not to salvage what is left. He is a pic of my old 78
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414626746.144664.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414626776.025993.jpg

Josh I'd be looking for a new knuckle. Not easy to weld cast and two helicoils is pushing it on that component.
I agree with you Marshall. I wish my truck wasn't a daily driver so I could set it aside while I gathered parts and waited for a day where I had time. This is a band-aid fix and will only last for so long and under tame street driving. I looked at a new knuckle approx $330, new wheel bearings $160, new upper ball joint $15-30 (always the two things I run short on time and money). If I replace the front wheel bearing I want to do it on both sides to that way I know things are 100% up front (I do have 213k miles on them now). I looked over at TTORA and it sounds like that wheel bearing in front is a chore. Like need a 50K lbs press kind of chore, I don't know if its just people's individual experiences or if that kind of thing is normal. For right now I save up, check those bolts often, and don't drive stupid!

(I'm hearing everyone else's response in the background "Should have bought an 80!")

4Runner pop up at lkq from time to time. Would it be the same knuckle?

Should be, any 4wd or Pre-Runner 1996-2000 4runner or 1995.5-2003 Tacoma should have the same passenger side knuckle from what I see on the dealer parts page online.

4Runner pop up at lkq from time to time. Would it be the same knuckle?
If it is a 1996-2000 4runner or a 1995-2003 Tacoma 4x4 or Pre-Runner it should be the same according the the dealer parts page online.

p.s. jimbo how did those 35"s BFG ATs I sold you work?

They are working great. The jeep got sold to a guy in mid carolina jeepers and he is still running them on a set of beadlocks. The tires have even been all through harlan.

The knuckles themselves are the same. If you have manual hubs vs. Auto hubs then there are a few differences in some of the other parts like CV's, abs rings or spacers, etc.

The bearing is a serious B, and the 50T press seems to be the norm from what I've found. I am looking to do a manual hub swap on my 98 4runner so been reading up. The biggest issue with the bearing is that to remove the old one basically side loads the bearing and destroys it. And pressing in the new one requires that you have the correct force and the right adapter to put pressure only on the race. Any load applied to the center will pretty much destroy the new bearing as well.

My 4runner is my DD as well so if/when I get time to do this swap I will likely have a pair of knuckles that will need a new home, so I will keep an eye out.

Lol funny right there. Actually hoping to ride back up there possibly this weekend.

Man, that sounds fun. I would like to get back up there too, but I got some junk to fix first. I've had a new trans mission mount sitting in my garage for months. I need to get that and my power steering cooler replaced before I wheel again. Hoping I can get to it Sunday.

Some really great pics here for anyone considering go up to black balsam with us for the first time this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom