Black Balsam 2014 October 24-26th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This years Blue Ridge Parkway/Black Balsam campout trip is tentatively scheduled for October 24-26th. The reason I say tentative is that the paved access portion of the road is scheduled to be closed September 16th for repavement. It will take one month as long as weather permits. So basically unless a large enough group of people can go earlier we are going to take our chances for October 24th.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http://www.romanticasheville.com/black_balsam.htm&ei=Zlf3U62GFIrkoATm3IFw&usg=AFQjCNFz_sS8m-X9rF8yLWsblYj12YKV0A

Black balsam is an awesome place to camp and get away from the world. There is primitive restrooms at the trail entrance. The road going into balsam from there is unpaved and a great 2-3mile experience. A stock 4x4 can make it in with minor pinstriping from tree branches etc. Traditionally we have shown up Friday as early as possible to reserve a spot. Camp that night and tell our best lies too each other:rolleyes: and Saturday meet at the Blue Ridge Parkway Inn for lunch. After that it is up to the group on whether to hang out at camp, hike to shining rock, or cruise the parkway.

Headcount:
Gimpey
Trollhole
Charleston g8tor
Jp
Kudzu krawler
Teddy
Johnvee
Fj junkie
Forrest 5000
Jimbo

Last edited:
back balsam1.jpg
black balsam.jpg
blackbalsam2.jpg

blackbalsam3.jpg

This has always been one of my favorite adventures with the club even though I almost freeze to death each year. This year I am prepared. New 0 degree bag, building a new platform to sleep in the truck, and getting a heater. For those who have never been there is a good 20 degree difference up there due to the elevation.

Yes, we are going to make this a joint trip with ONSC, it's going to be a great time, maybe it'll snow for ya JP!!

I'm in as usual. Might go a day early this year since I had to cut my trip a day short last year. Probably be just me and the dogs. If the road is closed for some stupid reason. Then I'm going on down further and hiking into our Cullowhee spot off the parkway. I miss that place and this would be a good excuse to go see it.

I plan to go up that Friday.

It's on my calendar and I've got the time off from work.

Rick you got me what is that? Kajun i am thinking buddy heater.

Lol yep! You available?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Dude i could hear him from inside his cruiser.....i thought wild hogs were coming thru.:eek::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom