BJ73 engine upgrade to 14BT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Rbtsas,
is your '73 an LX? I'm looking at doing the same swap, but mine has a vaccum booster on the clutch (in the engine bay) which looks like it would hit on the turbo of the 14bt. do you have any pics of your engine bay?
when I look at the BMI site it shows the 14bt is $6500, did you get a special deal to get it for 5k, or is there a name I should ask to speak to there?
thanks for your help, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Last edited:
image.png
Yep lx. I'll take a photo and post it ASAP. I ordered mine way back and I know the freight and yen have gone up since so that could be making the difference. The turbo goes close. Like real close. But the Reser h I've done shows it clears. I've been trying the get the sheild that comes standard on the 13bt that goes around the booster. If I can get it I will get a c26 turbo heat sheild for two reasons to reduce the heat under the hood and stop the rubbing. Here's a pic of the sheild top left corner of one that was being wrecked but would sell me the one part. Bugger.

I got my engine in yesterday and the power steering pump return fitting hits the steering shaft and the intake-mounted reservoir hits the brake booster. I'm guessing you didn't have these issues as yours is RHD and mine is LHD.

I think my solution will be to put my belt-drive pump on and put a block-off plate on the timing cover where the gear-drive pump is/was.

Still like to see some photos of yours, esp down by the gear-driven power steering pump.

Is yours up and running?

not as yet i will be getting back into it over the weekend had a fair bit on at work so had to put things on the back burner. will get some photos up when i can

About a bees penis.
Nah a good couple of cm. putting the heat blanket on it will close that up!

Engines in and running well Guys. i'll take some photos and post soon. next step is to get the whole car stripped down and resparayed

Hi, trying to find out what bell housing, transmission and transfer case you have used. I am trying to fit a 14B to my fj40 back in the Philippines. I can source 14B engines there but have the hint truck transmission.. thanks

Hi. I have a toyota bj40 with a 14b engine, and I wanted to know if anyone could help me. I need to get a part of the 14b-t engine, to adapt it to my engine, but I need the exact model of the vehicle that assembles the 14b-t engine, OR BEST FRAME NUMBER.THANKS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom