BJ60 towing BJ42 - Trailer or Dolly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There seems to be "more then stock" wires that goes to the negative of the left side battery. Check that only the one for the dimmer relay or head lights goes there.

Thanks, there definitely is some extra wiring that needs to be sorted out ASAP... I didnt' have a chance to chase it yet but there is 12V relay, perhaps for the radio and I have to see how they wired in those driving lights...

Great Pics Nick! Thanks for the help! I can't weld very well so it's off to a friends for that part!

I am glad you got her home safely! I had a great day! it was nice to meet some other cruiser heads =].

She is going to be a beauty of a truck one day! (not that she is not beautiful now=)

It was my first time really taking a good look @ a 42 and I Really liked the truck now I want one!
It was great to get a ride in RIG OF MORTIS too she is a sweet ride!

Great adventure. Glad it worked out safely.

I was kinda hoping you would fire it up and go.

The IP filter at the inlet may need cleaning too. It the screen.

Cheers!

Nice truck. Congrats !

Thanks! I always wanted a BJ42... I had a chance to take it out in the bush a bit today. It really works great and is so much more manoevreable than my BJ60... I can't believe how well it starts! -20C this morning and no block heater it fired right up! It helps that I figured out the glow system; I wasn't turning the key backwards with enough force. It seems to take a little too much force to reach the glow circuit, I am worried about breaking the key! Perhaps there is a loose connection there or something...

I had time to look a little closer at the rust, definitely repairable with some significant welding, but it would be easier to get a new tub. But that is not in the budget; so she'll see some new steel most likely. So far it looks like rear sill, quarters, wheel wells, a couple of holes in the rear floor and one in the front, but the worst is the windshield frame; it needs to be replaced. I also need the right rear door; it is rotten at the top; if i can find a replacement great otherwise I can probably fix it....

the colour has grown on me and I think I will repaint it the same colour. I even like the period stripes; might put them on after as well...

. I may keep using it as my firewood hauler for the rest of the winter and start the welding in the spring....

Thanks! I always wanted a BJ42... I had a chance to take it out in the bush a bit today. It really works great and is so much more manoevreable than my BJ60......

Believe me, I know exactly how you feel.I have o0nly had mine for a month:D. With its short wheelbase and good PS it makes the 105 feel like a bus. :eek:

splitbuseric said:
I wasn't turning the key backwards with enough force. It seems to take a little too much force to reach the glow circuit, I am worried about breaking the key!

maybe look at moving the glow wires off the ignition key then to a separate switch(push button)

Ever seen this switch before?

maybe look at moving the glow wires off the ignition key then to a separate switch(push button)
1981 BJ42 (16) (Large) (Medium).JPG

I have this switch which I will look into. It looks kinda factory but I am guessing no... I thought perhaps it was some kind of 'afterglow' for once the truck fires... I haven't had time to check... Perhaps I can use it as a manual switch; if it has no other use.....
1981 BJ42 (16) (Large) (Medium).JPG

It is a manual switch for your glow plugs, turn the key to run and hold this switch closed and your glow plugs should warm up just the same as turning the key backwards. It means you can add glow plug after you start the engine when the cald makes it want to hiccup and misfire. The later trucks have a timer system instead, not so good in really cold weather, you sometimes have to keep restarting it until it keeps running, I much prefer the manual system like you have.

It is a manual switch for your glow plugs, turn the key to run and hold this switch closed and your glow plugs should warm up just the same as turning the key backwards. It means you can add glow plug after you start the engine when the cald makes it want to hiccup and misfire. The later trucks have a timer system instead, not so good in really cold weather, you sometimes have to keep restarting it until it keeps running, I much prefer the manual system like you have.

Awesome! that is what I was hoping it was! I will try it and see if it works still!. I was wondering why there was no method of afterglowing the truck once it starts and runs rough in the cold.... Hopefully it is still functional, learn something new everyday....

Thanks for the tip!

manual glow switch

Awesome! that is what I was hoping it was! I will try it and see if it works still!. I was wondering why there was no method of afterglowing the truck once it starts and runs rough in the cold.... Hopefully it is still functional, learn something new everyday....

Thanks for the tip!

Well, it doesn't appear to work! I tried it today, the relay doesn't click and the glow indicator light doesn't light up so.... I guess I will have to look into the wiring.... Is that a factory switch then>

Yes it is factory, you want to get it hooked up, it comes in real handy on those cold days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom