BJ60 towing BJ42 - Trailer or Dolly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have towed a lot of vehicles in my life, some very long distances. I really don't see this as being that big of a deal... I once towed a VW bug all the way across the country with a VW Van! No problems at all you just need to careful... And realize the dangers associated with what you are doing...

I will try the CAA trick, if that doesn't work then I'll be dollying it with the BJ60.... It's coming home that day no matter what! I have already waited a month to pick it up..........

If it wasn't in the city, I would change the oil, tinker on the brakes, fill it up and give'r!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in Toronto, I'll show up and give you a hand and the support you need, just tell me when you're coming, hell I'll even go out and do an oil change on the vehicle before you come if you so desire (work out details with the PO).

Let me know.

Nick,

Thanks for the offer. That's what makes this such a great board. Truck is near Walker's Line in Burlington.... If I knew more about the brakes I would consider driving it, but that seems alot more unsafe than towing it...Plus I haven't even heard it run! Looks like CAA or dolly with my '60... The more I think about it the less I think towing it would be a big deal.... But I definitely would prefer a dolly, I guess tranny and transfer should both be in Neutral if the wheels will be on the ground...

I hope CAA will just do it..... save me the PITA....

I am heading down there on Sat. 19th to pick it up... What part of Toronto are you in? If your close you should swing by, I have only ever met one person from this board.....

I'm in the bottom east of Toronto (Beaches area), but I'd love to come out on the 19th just in case a second hand is needed (read: shoulder to cry on) ha ha.

I've been meaning to contact you anyway as my Brother in-law has just moved down to Port Colborne, I may come down for a visit and kick some tires.

PS. pull your driveshaft for the tow, just mark it clearly.

Thought I might as well pitch in here as I have first hand experience with what you are talking about.
Earlier this year I bought an FJ40 and rented a Uhaul trailer (tandem) saying that I was towing my corolla on it, as they wouldn't let me tow the 40 using my dads Chevy Astro AWD. Despite being a bad idea because of lying to them if anything happened, the combination of the 40 and the trailer didn't go too well. At first we tried it front first, finding that even with a 2" riser it was insanely close to the ground, so we tried it backwards with a 4" riser and still had it very low down because of all the weight being at the front of the trailer as you can't go anywhere without hooking a set of tires in the straps. Anyway to sum up that's how we towed it but it wasn't a good experience and I don't suggest it in the least.
Cheers,
Lewis

don't take this the wrong way but.....

you post on here asking for thoughts and most of the thoughts you get are people telling you not to tow yourself....

They aren't saying you CAN'T.....just that the odds of something bad happening are higher than normal. Mind you these are people that don't really know you from adam and other than not wanting something bad to happen to good people they have no care what happens.
Yet, I expect you will end up towing this home yourself....I also expect nothing will happen....."fingers crossed"

It's just frustrating to me, if you are going to tow it yourself don't ask for feedback....if youask for feedback don't piss into the wind...

Sorry if this comes across wrong or like I am being a jerk but....well its the gin talking....:flipoff2:

Tim

don't take this the wrong way but.....

you post on here asking for thoughts and most of the thoughts you get are people telling you not to tow yourself....

They aren't saying you CAN'T.....just that the odds of something bad happening are higher than normal. Mind you these are people that don't really know you from adam and other than not wanting something bad to happen to good people they have no care what happens.
Yet, I expect you will end up towing this home yourself....I also expect nothing will happen....."fingers crossed"

It's just frustrating to me, if you are going to tow it yourself don't ask for feedback....if youask for feedback don't piss into the wind...

Sorry if this comes across wrong or like I am being a jerk but....well its the gin talking....:flipoff2:

Tim

I am not really into electronic pissing matches Tim but, as stated above I will trying the flat deck CAA tow truck option as my first preferred choice....

If not, I will have to tow it one way or another right? Or do I just not buy it then....:rolleyes:

And because I posted this on here for feedback I have had a generous offer of assistance from other list members in getting everything home safely.....

I love people who are all tough and have lots to say because they can hide behind a computer......Give me a break....provide your comments on the tow, keep the rest to yourself....

Just take some plates off of something else you have and slap them on the 42 and call CAA. I have done this before and it works like a charm!

just make sure there is some air in the tires and the widows are clean you know so it looks like it has been driven recently:)

I am not really into electronic pissing matches Tim but, as stated above I will trying the flat deck CAA tow truck option as my first preferred choice....

If not, I will have to tow it one way or another right? Or do I just not buy it then....:rolleyes:

And because I posted this on here for feedback I have had a generous offer of assistance from other list members in getting everything home safely.....

I love people who are all tough and have lots to say because they can hide behind a computer......Give me a break....provide your comments on the tow, keep the rest to yourself....

Look, sorry you missed the "don't take this the wrong way"

I am in no way trying to be tough or trying to get into an "electronic pissing match"

I'm glad you have found some assistance from a fellow Mud member.

Yes, I also understand that you may end up towing it yourself....however almost all the advice that has been given here has been to not tow it with the 60. Again, nobody is saying that you can't tow it with the 60, just that it isn't the safest way.

Once more, I'm sorry if you took my statements personally and I hope you are pleasantly surprised with the condition of the 42 when you get there.

Tim Ukena

Don't just slap plates from another truck on it, down here if you get caught for doing that you can lose your'e drivers licence for up to 1 year, do your'e self a favor keep it legal for your'e own good. Good luck with the move and be safe!

Don't just slap plates from another truck on it, down here if you get caught for doing that you can lose your'e drivers licence for up to 1 year, do your'e self a favor keep it legal for your'e own good. Good luck with the move and be safe!

Money, It's just to fool a tow truck...right or wrong...not for driving.

I still stand beside getting a temp permit and having the bj60 as backup. And if all fails give it a tow with the Bj60. But I would drive it home, after a really good look over.

Splitbuseric and Billyhusk, I don't see billy acting tough in his post, and eric is listening. So relax. Things written can sometimes come across different than intended. This post won't be going in that direction.

Awesome that Nick is offering help.... cheers to Nick!

Yep going to get a legal temp. permit to get it onto a flat deck for a CAA tow as BB indicated. It will also be insured by my insurance company...

Rig of Mortis Nick is going to meet me there and give me a hand (thanks!). I have got two batteries on trickle charge and I am going to bring some oil and a filter and a tank of fresh diesel and were going to see if we can get it running... then I may drive it down the road a little ways and then call CAA, just so I am not at the exact address where I bought it. I don't CAA can refuse to tow it then. As a last resort I will dolly it home on back roads, slowly and carefully..

Either way an exciting day as I always wanted a 42, long before I got my 'family friendly' BJ60...

Thanks for all the tips guys, and I will post some pics when we get her home!

Look, sorry you missed the "don't take this the wrong way"

I am in no way trying to be tough or trying to get into an "electronic pissing match"

I'm glad you have found some assistance from a fellow Mud member.

Yes, I also understand that you may end up towing it yourself....however almost all the advice that has been given here has been to not tow it with the 60. Again, nobody is saying that you can't tow it with the 60, just that it isn't the safest way.

Once more, I'm sorry if you took my statements personally and I hope you are pleasantly surprised with the condition of the 42 when you get there.

Tim Ukena

Tim,

Thanks for this and the same from me. Sometimes its hard to get what people are saying on a computer. I hope it works out okay and I am doing my best to get it home safely on a budget.

I have a 'feeling' this truck is going to be a driver pretty easily, except for the rust of course. I have a friend who is going to weld it to save myself some embarrasement, and then I will finish the bodywork/paint from there... Pretty excited...

Take care,
Eric

Well Finally Got it Home...

Finally got the '81 BJ42 home today. Rig of Mortis and CDNCruzer came over to help me revive the old girl after sitting for over 5 years... Couldn't have done it all without their help that's for sure. Its always great to meet some new folks too, especially when a diesel cruiser is involved. Thanks guys.

We ended up doing a bunch of maintenance and checks.. We replaced the batteries with two I had been trickle charging for a week. Changed the oil and filter and put in Rotella 0W40 Synthetic... Checked air filter for cleanliness, looked good. Went over the wiring and checked the brake and fuel lines and general condition. Then we added some fresh diesel and purged the old stuff(black!) from the lines and put a new fuel filter on. We reinstalled the hardtop which had been removed. Topped up the coolant and burped the system as well..

We couldn't find a block heater cord, so we couldn't even plug it in, even though it was about -5C. I gave it a glow(turn key backwards)while waiting for the screen to glow (I couldn't get it light up, although the PO had no trouble when he tried) but maybe I didn't wait long enough. So I cranked it anyway and it coughed once. I repeated the glow procedure and cranked and it fired up! With a couple of hiccups, probably due to the little bit of air in the fuel lines, it settled into a nice smooth idle. I was really impressed with everything overall including the lack of smoke considering it hadn't fired in 5+ years...

So I went around the block several times testing the brakes and steering. It had brand new tires on it so I knew they were good. Nick and Matt and Nathan(previous owner) took it for a few laps as well and then we went over the fluids etc. again. No leaks, overheating or anything else scary. So with a few more blocks under its belt and fully warmed up and running/driving great, I decided to drive it home with my Dad following me as back up. I got a permit and away we went.

The truck worked great all the way. Not one single hiccup over the 135km cruise home. I did have some observations as this is the first time I drove a 42 any real distance.:

1. The ride on a 42 makes my BJ60 feel like a Cadillac. But I guess there is obvious reasons for that...

2. The 42 is way faster than my 60. I understand it likely has 4.11 gears and attribute this partially to that. But I do wish that my 60 had that get up and go. It is an '84 with a 3b/H55F combo and I assume 3.73's... It was amazing the 42 had all around more power even the top end. I could easily make it hit 120kmh if I wanted.... My 60 struggles to do that, and I have only been successful once. However my 60 has 402K on it and the 42 only has 250K....

3. Manual brakes suck....I wouldn't mind up grading to power assist there... I can live with the manual steering though....

4. I can't believe there is no block heater (unless all 3 of us missed it)....Although it sured turned over fast with those new batteries...

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice and especially to Nick and Matt who shared a great day with me. That was a blast, glad the weather held out...

Nick, Post up those pics you took....

It is a 84 without power steering??? 84 had power steering, post pictures, if it is a 84 you just did a great find, i've yet to see someone with one 84 rolling in Canada....very rare, congrats!

Finally got the '81 BJ42 home today. Rig of Mortis and CDNCruzer came over to help me revive the old girl after sitting for over 5 years... Couldn't have done it all without their help that's for sure. Its always great to meet some new folks too, especially when a diesel cruiser is involved. Thanks guys.

We ended up doing a bunch of maintenance and checks.. We replaced the batteries with two I had been trickle charging for a week. Changed the oil and filter and put in Rotella 0W40 Synthetic... Checked air filter for cleanliness, looked good. Went over the wiring and checked the brake and fuel lines and general condition. Then we added some fresh diesel and purged the old stuff(black!) from the lines and put a new fuel filter on. We reinstalled the hardtop which had been removed. Topped up the coolant and burped the system as well..

We couldn't find a block heater cord, so we couldn't even plug it in, even though it was about -5C. I gave it a glow(turn key backwards)while waiting for the screen to glow (I couldn't get it light up, although the PO had no trouble when he tried) but maybe I didn't wait long enough. So I cranked it anyway and it coughed once. I repeated the glow procedure and cranked and it fired up! With a couple of hiccups, probably due to the little bit of air in the fuel lines, it settled into a nice smooth idle. I was really impressed with everything overall including the lack of smoke considering it hadn't fired in 5+ years...

So I went around the block several times testing the brakes and steering. It had brand new tires on it so I knew they were good. Nick and Matt and Nathan(previous owner) took it for a few laps as well and then we went over the fluids etc. again. No leaks, overheating or anything else scary. So with a few more blocks under its belt and fully warmed up and running/driving great, I decided to drive it home with my Dad following me as back up. I got a permit and away we went.

The truck worked great all the way. Not one single hiccup over the 135km cruise home. I did have some observations as this is the first time I drove a 42 any real distance.:

1. The ride on a 42 makes my BJ60 feel like a Cadillac. But I guess there is obvious reasons for that...

2. The 42 is way faster than my 60. I understand it likely has 4.11 gears and attribute this partially to that. But I do wish that my 60 had that get up and go. It is an '84 with a 3b/H55F combo and I assume 3.73's... It was amazing the 42 had all around more power even the top end. I could easily make it hit 120kmh if I wanted.... My 60 struggles to do that, and I have only been successful once. However my 60 has 402K on it and the 42 only has 250K....

3. Manual brakes suck....I wouldn't mind up grading to power assist there... I can live with the manual steering though....

4. I can't believe there is no block heater (unless all 3 of us missed it)....Although it sured turned over fast with those new batteries...

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice and especially to Nick and Matt who shared a great day with me. That was a blast, glad the weather held out...

Nick, Post up those pics you took....

Last edited:
It is a 84 without power steering??? 84 add power steering, post pictures, if it is a 84 you just did a great find, i've yet to see someone with one 84 rolling in Canada....very rare, congrats!

Sorry no, my BJ42 is a 1981, it was my BJ60 that is an '84... Still a cool truck though:)

Now after a good days work its time for a :beer:

Eric, I'm glad you've told the tale, as I didn't have the energy and besides, its nice to hear that you made it home, that truck had loads of power, the compression was fantastic!

Okay, here we go with the photo documentation of the BJ42 resurrection event day.

First glance as I pulled up to the driveway, I had pictured a more rural garage setting.
in_driveway2.jpg

in_driveway3.jpg

First things first, wheel it into the garage (flat ground) and perform an oil and filter change.
Oil_change.jpg

Eric (Splitbuseric) wrestling with an oil filter which was very happy to be left on there.
removing_oil_filter.jpg

How dare you shoot a man when he's down! I've gotten used to having the luxury of working on a lifted (R.O.M.) truck... oil change done.
Nicholas_crawling_out.jpg

Top up the coolant (CDN_Cruzer and Splitbuseric).
topping_up_the_rad.jpg

Time to bolt on the roof.
3_quarter_view_in_driveway.jpg

Product placement shot (R.O.M.), I mean getting the roof buttered up.
ROM_in_background.jpg

Scaring the neighbours.
Scaring_the_neighbours.jpg

Finishing the roof and doors attachment.
ROM_in_foreground.jpg

With the top firmly mounted, we could now roll the truck out onto the road and work on the fuel (giving courtesy to the PO as not to have any accidental spills on his driveway.
fueling_up.jpg

fueling_up2.jpg

Tarp down, bleed the lines -dirty diesel, its the new black!
Bleeding_fuel_system.jpg

Realizing that the fuel filter was also not happy to be removed, I opted to remove the battery so I could get more leverage with the filter pliers (you've gotta have the right tools!)
removing_fuel_filter.jpg

That's better.
removing_fuel_filter2.jpg

Retightening the battery terminals.
fresh_batteries.jpg

Eric brought his Dad "Don" along for the adventure, great to have the extra company!
Eric_and_Don.jpg

The moment of truth, everything checked and then double checked...
first_crank.jpg

Unhappy, yet willing.
first_fire.jpg

Continued

IT'S ALIVE!!!
first_fire2.jpg

Purring along, sounded fantastic, she seemed very happy to be back.
Engine_running.jpg

Maiden voyage!
Rear_quarter_view_on_road.jpg

Maidan_voyage.jpg

Maidan_voyage2.jpg

Maidan_voyage3.jpg

After a few hot laps around the neighbourhood, Eric treated us to lunch.
rolling_through_town.jpg

Parting shot.
Last_shot.jpg

All and all, it was a great day, tad bit chilly (no chiming in Winnipeg) but we all worked well together and got it done without incident.

Thanks to Don for the very well timed coffee run!

There seems to be "more then stock" wires that goes to the negative of the left side battery. Check that only the one for the dimmer relay or head lights goes there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom