BJ60 towing BJ42 - Trailer or Dolly (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I am going to pick up my new 81 BJ42 weekend after next and am arranging towing equipment. Uhaul has trailers and dollys, but wont rent one to tow a BJ42 with a BJ60(they call it FJ60). It says the BJ42 is over the weight limit for towing with a 60. When I go through the calculator it will allow me to rent either a trailer or a dolly if I pretend I am towing my 1955 VW Camper. I can't see my loaded with camper cabinetry VW weighing that much less than a stock 42. So I am thinking about being 'creative' with my intentions and saying I am towing my VW.

So that said, would you prefer a dolly or a trailer? The truck has been in a garage un moved for 6 years. So there is potential for brake issues with a dolly. Although it seemed roll okay when I bought it, with little brake squeaking noise considering how long it has sat. On the other hand I think a dolly would be easier on the truck and there is something I like about having all the weight down on the ground versus up high on a trailer....

Anybody have any thoughts? Anybody who thinks it is too much for the 60? It is a 1.5 hour drive and I can take back roads most of the way and take my time so not too concerned about that part... I know the truck will be working but I won't be in a hurry....

Thanks,

Eric

get a permit for the 42 and drive it home. Bring the Bj60 with a friend driving it.

Don't tow the 42 with a 60. You will have an accident and lose two cruisers. It is way over the weight for the 60 and uhauls suck. And if you lie to Uhaul and have an accident they will counter sue for damages to their trailer.

Forget the 42 sat for 6 yrs. Stick fresh diesel it in and go(fill up). Fill the tires up too. Drive slow on those backroads.

If only it were that easy...

get a permit for the 42 and drive it home. Bring the Bj60 with a friend driving it.

Don't tow the 42 with a 60. You will have an accident and lose two cruisers. It is way over the weight for the 60 and uhauls suck. And if you lie to Uhaul and have an accident they will counter sue for damages to their trailer.

Forget the 42 sat for 6 yrs. Stick fresh diesel it in and go(fill up). Fill the tires up too. Drive slow on those backroads.

LOL.... I wish it was that simple BB... I have no idea the condition of the brakes and I haven't even tried to start it... Batteries are likely toast and who knows what else....IF it were 20 min away all backroads maybe, but it is in the greater Toronto area and there will be 20 min of serious city driving before I can get onto back roads for the rest of the way home... Plus the guy loves this cruiser ( he bought it in 82, one year old) and he wants to see it lovingly towed away on a trailer I think ;)

I just thought if I took it slow with a dolly or trailer i would be allright...

How much does a 42 weigh? I'm 99.99% sure it would be legal here in Aus!

My '83 HJ60 is rated to tow something like 5000kg braked according to some paperwork from when it was new.

Unfortunatly regulations here limit me to towing 3500kg with it, but a 42 + trailer should still be within that.

Sean

LOL.... I wish it was that simple BB... I have no idea the condition of the brakes and I haven't even tried to start it... Batteries are likely toast and who knows what else....IF it were 20 min away all backroads maybe, but it is in the greater Toronto area and there will be 20 min of serious city driving before I can get onto back roads for the rest of the way home... Plus the guy loves this cruiser ( he bought it in 82, one year old) and he wants to see it lovingly towed away on a trailer I think ;)

I just thought if I took it slow with a dolly or trailer i would be allright...

Like above rent a truck then.

I know this truck is out of the way, but is it possible to check things out before you go there?

Before you dole out a bunch of coin for a Uhaul see how much a professional tow company would charge you. Let's say the Uhaul costs 300 for adventure and the tow is 400..... I'm picking the tow. They break it, they pay.

Like above rent a truck then.

I know this truck is out of the way, but is it possible to check things out before you go there?

Before you dole out a bunch of coin for a Uhaul see how much a professional tow company would charge you. Let's say the Uhaul costs 300 for adventure and the tow is 400..... I'm picking the tow. They break it, they pay.

I may try this then.... I wish I knew someone with a full size pick up truck.... would be so much easier....I have CAA but they won't tow a vehicle that isn't licensed, I tried to do it with a VW I purchased once and when the driver got there he said he couldn't tow it because it wasn't licensed....

How much does a 42 weigh? I'm 99.99% sure it would be legal here in Aus!

My '83 HJ60 is rated to tow something like 5000kg braked according to some paperwork from when it was new.

Unfortunatly regulations here limit me to towing 3500kg with it, but a 42 + trailer should still be within that.

Sean

I wonder if an HJ60 has a higher towing capacity... i would assume so... I think most people here are concerned with stopping rather than toasting the 3B due to being overworked.... I

I once tried to tow my BJ42 with my 2003 Mitsubishi Montero.....i did, well....about 3 km and turned around...Granted weight distribution was bad and i had to much weight on the pin, still the combination of the trailer and weight of the bj was just too much. My guess was the trailer with truck was near or over 7000#...that is just to much even with a 215 HP V6 mitsu engine.. So i finally took the shop F250, felt like i never had anything in the back....With the montero it was scary...

Thinking of doing this with a BJ60 (3B) is just out of the question unless i have, well...3 km to do...

go rent a F250 or 2500 pickup and be done in a few hours... (1 day rent)

you could probably do a day rent on a 2500 diesel dodge for about 80-100 bucks. Then rent a full size drive on tandem trailer. Still take it easy cause you won't have brakes.

As you tell from the posts above, no one wants you to try with the BJ60.

you could probably do a day rent on a 2500 diesel dodge for about 80-100 bucks. Then rent a full size drive on tandem trailer. Still take it easy cause you won't have brakes.

As you tell from the posts above, no one wants you to try with the BJ60.

I am considering renting a truck for the day.... However, most of the rental places I have called wont allow you to pull a trailer with their trucks.... Uhaul probably would with a cube van or something but what a PITA.... Their car trailers are s***ty for weight distribution too.... BB you may be right, might work out just as cheap to have a towing company....

BJ42's must weigh more than I thought... It amazes me that uhaul would rent me a trailer to pull a loaded VW camper 4500lbs and not for a BJ42.....

I have pulled my VW Camper on a dolly with the BJ60 before and it worked well.... just slow thats all...

Thanks for all the input...

When I needed to tow my HJ-45 back, even with an FZJ-80 in the garage, it was just easier to rent a truck and trailer from Penske. It seemed kind of ridiculous having a 26' box truck empty just to tow the HJ-45, but it worked great. Especially when we were driving through the high mountains in Colorado with a good bit of snow around. Penske's equipment is in much better shape than U-haul, and with the diesel truck the cost over towing with a gas engined U-haul truck was actually about $100 less (I towed it about 600 miles).

I'd either check on a towing service, or check with Penske before I'd go with U-haul. The U-haul equipment is junk from what I've seen, and a gas engine consumes way too much fuel towing for my tastes. Both the U-haul and Penske car hauler trailers have electric brakes on them, so that is nice. The Penske trucks have an actual brake controller built in, whereas the U-haul trailers just sense when the brake light comes on.

Dan

You know what i would do. Check with CAA, they may have a package that allows you to get towed even 1 and half hours away. Get registered, could be 100-150$ i don't know. Then call next day to get your BJ pick up.... I have tons of friend who does this. You won't even have to loose anytime to get there.

my-caa

On quebec site they say 160km max, garage of your choice, that would be your garage... ;)

BJ42's must weigh more than I thought... It amazes me that uhaul would rent me a trailer to pull a loaded VW camper 4500lbs and not for a BJ42.....

I have pulled my VW Camper on a dolly with the BJ60 before and it worked well.... just slow thats all...

Thanks for all the input...

Instead of saying "Land Cruiser" to them say "Jeep". It's not a bold out lie. Many people refer to Land Cruisers as Jeeps. Plus there books might be saying the Land Cruiser is the wagon. Or not stipulating a difference.

You have no friends with a full size 3/4 ton truck? You must live in Toronto area :) Up here all the vehicles are 1 tons with diesels.

What!!?!? Are you all out of your minds... ?

Take all your tools with you. Get the ownership into your name. Get a trip permit. Get insurance on it.

Go early and fix it up as best you can. -if you can't get everything working on it, drive 5km from where you pick it up. Pull over to the side of the road and call CAA. It's got a temporary on it, you have the ownership. & you have insurance on it. Or, when you call give them the plate # of your other cruiser - the driver won't care!? They are both cruisers - they just need something to enter into their computer. (or take your front plate off your 60 and put it on the back of the 42 while they are loading) And tell them that your brakes siezed up and it's stuck in 4WD so you need a flat bed. They will tell you that if they determine that you didn't need a flatbed it will be an extra $35 charge. (they won't charge you because the driver of the truck won't care) Then tell them to follow you while you drive the other cruiser (take a friend with you so it's not obvious that was the plan... :)

Now thats a good idea

What!!?!? Are you all out of your minds... ?

Take all your tools with you. Get the ownership into your name. Get a trip permit. Get insurance on it.

Go early and fix it up as best you can. -if you can't get everything working on it, drive 5km from where you pick it up. Pull over to the side of the road and call CAA. It's got a temporary on it, you have the ownership. & you have insurance on it. Or, when you call give them the plate # of your other cruiser - the driver won't care!? They are both cruisers - they just need something to enter into their computer. (or take your front plate off your 60 and put it on the back of the 42 while they are loading) And tell them that your brakes siezed up and it's stuck in 4WD so you need a flat bed. They will tell you that if they determine that you didn't need a flatbed it will be an extra $35 charge. (they won't charge you because the driver of the truck won't care) Then tell them to follow you while you drive the other cruiser (take a friend with you so it's not obvious that was the plan... :)

Now were talking! Thats what I will do, I already have CAA Plus so I get a flat deck if I request it.... I will get the ownership and go to the license office and get a temporary permit. I have been denied by a CAA tow truck before because the plates on the vehicle I had just purchased were expired. I can't see how they can turn away a valid temporary permit though... I will just push it out on the street and say the brakes failed or something.... Which really is probably the only thing stopping me from driving it, too scared something will give and I'd total it... And I would like to do some maintenance first, since its been sitting for 6 years....

Instead of saying "Land Cruiser" to them say "Jeep". It's not a bold out lie. Many people refer to Land Cruisers as Jeeps. Plus there books might be saying the Land Cruiser is the wagon. Or not stipulating a difference.

You have no friends with a full size 3/4 ton truck? You must live in Toronto area :) Up here all the vehicles are 1 tons with diesels.

BB - Nope two hours from the big smoke and I hate going there, but I guess a cruiser is worth it.... Lots of trucks where I am just not with my friends...

thanks for the tips guys..

A few other options

I towed an HJ60 300 miles with a Uhaul tow dolly, but I marked and dropped the rear drive shaft, the towing vehicle was a 1500 gm pickup.

If you take it easy it should be no problem, I towed a 4000lb mercedes wagon from toronto to london with my HJ60, again with a uhaul tow dolly.

Also I have heard of people doing this many times without any problems, get a ride to the place, put your plates on the truck then call CAA, the driver will never check your registration,
and most of the drivers wont ever question you when you say that the injection pump failed or something like that.

I think that there is a truck rental joint in Cambridge ON called Carter truck rental that rents out trucks for contractors, including trucks with towing packages.
My advice; don't brake the rules of the highway act in any way. It can turn into a mess no one needs. The money you'll spend you'll forget, the "legal system" will never forget or fogive :( (Couple years ago, I had a collision with a fellow who did not have a valid licence and no insurance and I feel sorry for him even though he was at fault he lost his new truck (totalled), his licence for a very long time and likely the chance of being insured ever again. ).

Cheers, Edgard.

I think that there is a truck rental joint in Cambridge ON called Carter truck rental that rents out trucks for contractors, including trucks with towing packages.
My advice; don't brake the rules of the highway act in any way. It can turn into a mess no one needs. The money you'll spend you'll forget, the "legal system" will never forget or fogive :( (Couple years ago, I had a collision with a fellow who did not have a valid licence and no insurance and I feel sorry for him even though he was at fault he lost his new truck (totalled), his licence for a very long time and likely the chance of being insured ever again. ).

Cheers, Edgard.

I love how after the first part of that post.....a story that ends bad...the post ends with

Cheers.....

nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom