BJ60 steering / suspension / brakes overhaul this weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After working Saturday and Sunday, i'm only about 25% as far as I'd like to be. By the end of the weekend I got the passenger side disassembled. I guess this is going to take longer than planned. Would be nice if I wasn't working on the street, but my garage is tiny and the cruiser definitely doesn't fit. Mostly I just don't like leaving it on jack stands in the street.

When I started putting things back together last night I decided the half-moon plates and steel ring were unusable so I ordered replacement kits for both sides from the local Toyota dealer. They'll be ready tomorrow but I can't pick up until Thursday. That being the case I'm taking today and tomorrow to get the knuckle and pitman arm cleaned up and painted. The knuckle was pretty nasty, with at least 1cm of grease and crap built up on the outside. A steel brush is doing ok, but if anyone knows a better/faster method, please do chime in!

I did end up shearing one bolt. I assume I can only get replacements from Toyota? I'm going to bring it in to the parts department when I go in on Thursday and probably pick up a few, just in case.

I did have the 54mm socket. It wasn't really easy to use on those skinny hub lock nuts, but eventually I got it. I feel like most of my time spent on the weekend was sitting around waiting for the PB Blaster to work.

I looked at some other knuckle rebuild threads, including the one @hj 60 posted, and one thing I've noticed is that my knuckle had way less grease in it than other peoples'. I guess mine had been leaking for a long time :eek:

I'll get some more pics as I make more progress! I guess I could turn this thread into my BJ60 build thread…

Well no worries about time schedule because especially in the beginning the 60 series creates a space/time black hole vacuum so no escaping there, you think you did 25% but it is about 1,24785% :eek: :redface:

My hj had aftermarket grease zercs for the knuckle so dont consider the amount of grease normal, I kept adding it but the grinding would come back.

I had to chuckle at your torn apart cruiser on the street parked right next to the fire hydrant. I imagined you noticing that after you were too far into it to turn back and move the vehicle...haha. Slapping forehead....oh crap! Haha.

Not laughing at you....we've all been there done that. It's just a big dirty greasy puzzle...just pat attention to the little details...seating the seals properly, bearing preload, torque specs, etc...first time is a real learner.

Peace.

@hj 60 yeah I noticed the zerk there where I just have a plug. Not a bad idea. Would love to find a pair! Alternatively I could drill that plug and add a zerk but I don't have the tools or the confidence to do that without ruining the plug that I've got.

@Skniper Ha! I didn't even see the fire hydrant in the picture. You can't tell from the photo, but the cruiser is JUST out of the way of the hydrant! I actually did think of that and made sure to keep it legal before ripping it apart.

No new progress, picking up the parts needed to get back at it today. Got some drill attachments that should make the parts cleanup go faster than using a steel brush. More updates soon!

Mods, is there any way to change thread title?

Got home from work on Thursday to find a tow notice on the cruiser. It's illegal here to have a non-operational vehicle parked on the street. I knew that, but didn't really think I'd have a problem. Spoke with the city and they said it's something they only enforce if they get a complaint. Pretty annoyed that whatever neighbor that is upset for whatever reason about my truck being parked in front of my house, is too much of a coward to knock on my door and ask me to move it, or whatever it is they want. Anyway, I have until Sunday early morning to get it all put back together and move it forward a few feet, or the city will come tow it. Not sure I can make it happen that fast on my own, and I'm a bit nervous. One of those times when it would be REALLY nice to have a garage or a mechanic buddy!

Sorry to hear about your neighbors.... I guess today (Saturday) is a busy day! It does go together so much quicker than it comes apart as everything is already clean and ready. If you are just into the knuckle, this is very possible task in one day seeing no surprises.

The best I have found is a stiff wire or brass wire wheel on an angle grinder, 12,000 + RPM, works best for rust and dirt removal. A similar setup can be had for a drill, and still way better than a hand wire brush, but not as effective as the angle grinder. Just hard to get it into some corners but other than that it works VERY well. USE PPE! Watch out for brake lines etc.....

Wishing you some speedy wrenching!

At my old place it was illegal to have a non operational car parked in your own driveway. I had a parts car with no front seat but a valid sticker on the plate. It was parked in my driveway for 2 days behind my 2 other cars before the bylaw people came around.

So I did what any good neighbour would do. I ripped out the engine and all drive line and doors and strew the parts all across the front lawn for a month. Apparently there was no bylaw against that.
My nosey neighbour never fessed up either.
I ended up moving to the country. No neighbours to worry about.

I feel your pain and wish you luck

Well, the unexpected happened on Saturday. I left the house to get some parts and one of those fold-out canopy things, since I knew it was going to rain. When I got home and got to the truck I noticed something inside the knuckle. It was a business card from LandrcuiserNW with a handwritten note saying "call me I can help you put your truck back together". I called the number on the card and 15 minutes later Anthony and Mike from LandcruiserNW showed up and in a couple hours we had the truck back in one piece and moved out of harms way. I'm eternally grateful to these guys. I'm certain I wasn't going to get this done on my own before the tow truck showed up. LandcruiserNW just won a loyal customer, and Anthony and Mike… I owe you guys big time!

@dkyuss It did go together a lot quicker than it came apart, largely in part to the help I had, but I think the driver's side will go quicker, too, having done it once already and knowing what i might encounter…

@Cruising Canuck it's a bit ridiculous that one is not allowed to work on one's own vehicle, especially on one's own property. It seems like the laws were specifically written to require all automotive work be done at a shop, instead of a residence. I guess I'll have projects that'll take longer than a day or two done by the guys at LandcruiserNW.

Wow that's really nice of those guys!
Yeah, I suppose they saw my truck on jack stands with the big fluorescent green "We're going to tow your vehicle in 72 hours if you don't move it" sticker on the driver's side window and sympathized with my situation? I can't express enough how much I appreciate the gesture, and I most certainly plan on making up for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom