Builds BJ42 Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will try hard to thoroughly document this restoration, many of you did such a great job at this and it makes for a very interesting journey from start to finish. I hope to make a decent attempt at this. So far I have only had about 7 hours of wrench time and I figure I have made fairly good strides in that time, dealing with 30 year old rusty bolts is never fun and I was amazed that some of them spun out so easily, I know for a fact that the top has never been off so I was a bit leery but she came apart out too much trouble.
025 (2).jpg
032 (2).jpg
034 (2).jpg
036 (2).jpg
039 (2).jpg

The old owner had the rear wheel wells repaired by braking plate steel to conform to the fender, some of the existing steel is really bad and other parts are surprisingly solid, either way I am going to use a Aqualu aluminum tub for this restoration while hoping that I can salvage the doors, fenders, hood and windshield frame. The hard top sides are iffy in places as well, I will upload pictures of the doors and sides when I get a chance.

R

Wow, I am watching to get inspiration for the time I decide to start my rebuild. Mine is not as rough as this but I am interested in seeing the progress and inner working of the rebuild progress. Keep the pics and progress coming. I subscribed! Hope the doors, fenders, hood and W/S frame are workable for ya!

Wow! Nice to see it being saved!

:beer:

A bit of advice. Do you have a supply of Ziploc bags? As you disassemble the truck, keep it organized. In the future you won't remember which bolt goes where.

A bit of advice. Do you have a supply of Ziploc bags? As you disassemble the truck, keep it organized. In the future you won't remember which bolt goes where.

X2 & take a ton of pics.

Already doing the zip-lock bag trick and labeling the bags with a marker. I figure that I will pull the fenders and front support probably tomorrow, then I should have enough pieces floating around to keep myself busy for the next few months or so. I want to get these pieces and the hardtop restored and to either epoxy primer or go all the way into paint. I will talk to the paint shop and see what they recommend. It is harder of course to store all the pieces with out scratching them once they have their finish coat.

When the hard top is completely assembled I will put it outside on saw horses and under cover, that way I will have room in my garage to take the rest of it apart and get it down to a bare frame.

Has anyone ever used a windshield frame from EBI Cruisers? I think this will be the hardest to repair, there is also one rear side window that is showing signs of heavy rust. I will have a look at this down the road. I hope to pick up extra work hear and there to offset the bills that will soon be coming in. The downside to that is when I work I am away from home for weeks and weeks at a time, can't have both I guess.

Has anyone ever used a windshield frame from EBI Cruisers? I think this will be the hardest to repair, there is also one rear side window that is showing signs of heavy rust. I will have a look at this down the road. I hope to pick up extra work hear and there to offset the bills that will soon be coming in. The downside to that is when I work I am away from home for weeks and weeks at a time, can't have both I guess.

You should check the local club... Seapotato had a frame a while back... Other than that, I'd call Steve at EBI and ask him, he seems like a straight shooter and a real cruiser head, so he'd let you know the pros and cons. For that matter, pop in and see him next time you're in Vancouver.

No experience with Steve's, but I've had a Gozzard frame for the past 12 years with no issue:

http://www.gozzardcomposites.com/images/GC116_outside.jpg

Fibreglass, of course, if that's an issue. I like your garage decor, by the way - is that a prairie, or wood bison head?

The Bison is a Plains Bison from Pink Mountain BC, they have the biggest disease free Bison heard in the world there and the give out limited entry hunting tags every year. Wife and I got him about 4 years ago, had a draw this year but no luck.

I will dabble with the windshield frame to see what comes out of it. I got called back in to work for two and a half days of double time which I jumped at. I need all the extra funds I can come up with.

I will definitely check out EBI when I am across the pond. I will post some more picks in a couple of days.

When I was last there I didn't see any body parts on the shelves... But it was an interesting visit anyways.

Finally got through Christmas, New Years, and then the Flu. I only had a few hours to work on her this past week. I got both front fenders and the bib off and kicked her outside and under a tarp. This frees up space in my overcrowded garage for disassembly of the hard top sides and all 4 doors.

I successfully removed all the glass from the sides with out breaking anything and found some bad rust in the window openings that will be a bear to deal with. I am having difficulty finding repair panel pieces for the corners of the hard top sides, no one seems to make these that I can find yet.

On a good note I phoned Toyota today and ordered two factory LH and RH fenders. There are only 2 RH and 5 LH (or vise versa) in existence so I thought I would grab a pair for a good price. He gave them to me for $236 a piece, which I thought was cheaper then repairing the dented LH fender. I will price out repairing my two original fenders in the future when I'm in the chips and epoxy coat them for storage, you never know they might come in handy for trading stock down the road.

on a bad note I examined my radiator and the fins are crumbling and the top tank has a crack in it...sigh! I will source that down the road when I get to the chassis.
023 (3).jpg

I need the bottom of the two front doors and the two ambulance doors replaced, has any one used the replacement sheet metal from CCOT? They look decent but you never know until you try to fit them.

Just came back from the body shop and as it turns out the one hard top side is toast and not worth saving the other left side is actually not too bad and won't take much to bring back, I stripped the hood today and the windshield frame and I have decided to source a RH hard top side and a new windshield frame. I think this will be better in the long run because I don't think I can afford to restore her twice.
The drivers door is also salvageable but the passenger door and left hand ambulance door will need work.
I will post pictures hopefully in the next couple of days.

I am in need of a RH hard top side that is in good condition. Minor rust ok but no major perforations. If any one can help me out let me know.
I have also inquired about the cost difference of chemically dipping the rusty sheet metal and frame compared to sand blasting and sandblasting appears to be about one third of the cost. I am now waiting for extra work so I can raise sufficient funds to start rolling again on this project. It sucks working for a living!

image-2437431901.jpg

image-1047784506.jpg

So on another note a buddy sent me these, not sure what the year is but he thinks it's got a diesel. Any guesses on model year, and what is she worth? Thanks for all the input
image-2437431901.jpg
image-1047784506.jpg

Hood is a 67-71ish. Has a hood spear. Has removable top. Doors and windshield pre-75.

Good running ballpark $4-5k.

Seen them go for $1500. Paid $100 for my rusty 45.

PM me if you need a header bar for over your ambulance doors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom