BJ42 1983 Engine upgrade options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi there, I am new to forums and I'm based in NZ, recently bought the above rig, I'm thinking of upgrading the 3B motor with a diesel that will give me more speed for traveling, could anybody advise what other Toyota motor I could use, preferably turbo, and changing to matching 5 speed.

I'm guessing there won't be anything that would bolt straight in ? I'm not able to do myself so will need to find someone to help, however was hoping to purchase the correct motor and box that would work as a starting point.

Many thanks in advance
Mark

A 13bt would fit in, direct replacement but you would have a few things to sort out like a handbreak with the 5 speed box and electrics depending on if you went 12v or 24v

Or go along the 12ht route which would give more power but a harder and more costly swap, just done this to my truck from the petrol 2f. Best thing I have done it it

The easiest way out is turboing the 3b, there are many kits and diy is pretty easy. The H55f goes behind it.

All of the B series motors will bolt in with the 15B-FT being the ultimate of that series. The B series mostly came in Dyna trucks and Coaster busses so check out truck wreckers. They are not cheap. There are no other bolt in options. Authough a 14b/15b will bolt up to the engine mounts and bellhousing there is still a lot of work in the conversion. There are plenty of threads on that.

The indirect injection Toyotas, particularly the 3B are very famous for cracking precombustion chambers which, if left to long can disintegrate and fall into the cylinder. Not many people do, but if I was to turbo one then I think it's certainly worth pulling the head and swapping out the precups and then treat them as a timing belt, replace every 100'000kms.

The 3B has alfin pistons and oil squirters so provided you keep the head/precups in check and stay conservative on the injection timing it will take a lot of boost, there's quite a few ih8mud members running PSI in the mid 20s reliably.

2H/12H-t is relatively straight forward as the LWB 40 had the 2H so many cables, hoses and lines are off the shelf but it does require the engine mounts to be moved. 1HZ/1HD is a more complex conversion again but a more advanced engine.

Thanks Taha32 and dare, really appreciate your thoughts as I have no idea, great to know what would bolt in if I go that way. I'll see if I can find some threads on this lot
Many thanks guys

Saw one on YouTube which blew my mind last night was sane rig with a Lexus v8 fitted, now that must take some work ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom