Bj40 voltage regulator missing?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After reading several post regarding ammeter fluctuating I noticed some members indicated the voltage regulator could be at fault. So I opened the hood to take a look and the regulator was nowhere to be found. I then looked in the cab, nothing.

Here are some pics I have taken of the alternator but how can you tell if it has a built in regulator? If it does not then time to ask for some help locating the connectors. I have also included a photo of a connector at the firewall that seems to have the right regulator connector but from my research looks like an FJ not a BJ connector.

The alternator is one installed by the PO and have no clue on the brand. All I know is has the vacumm pump.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

No tagging on the alternator? I believe my regulator is on DS firewall in engine bay.

I will get one later today. Mine doesn't have vacuum pump.

Anyone have a photo of their bj40 VR and its connector? My alternator does not seem to have a built in VR as most of them I have seen have an external plate with screws.

Tom, I have read your post regarding the ammeter issues you had. Looked at my wire harness for the VR connection like yours and nothing.

lostmarbles

What year is your BJ40?

My BJ60 was built in 83 (late) and is an 84 model. I have built in VR.

That connector looks like my alternator connector. I will see if I can get a picture of it later.

1977 bj.
It is not the original alternator and there is no markings to determine the manufacturer.

I have searched the wire harness what would appear to be a 6 pin connection for the VR but no luck.

Only was able to find a 3 pin connection that looks to be what a petrol fj40 would use for the VR.

Yeah I forgot to take a photo yesterday when I had it here at work. Does it look like your mounting is hacked up with that non stock alternator? I bought an alternator with vacuum pump that is used in NPR trucks that should work with some mods and rewire according to MUD threads. It was a $100 but I am still looking for alternatives that will drop in without mods.

Yes, I had to modify the mounting bracket. The PO built one that broke twice before I got around to fabricating a better solution.

There has to be a VR somewhere are my alternator would not be charging. Since I am unable to locate the external VR it has to be built inside the alternator?? Looking at my alternator it does not seem to have the VR cover I am seeing on others. Suppose I could take it apart to inspect.

Last edited:
Here are some crappy pics of my alternator. It was dark so I didn't get anything good. All it really show is it is plugged into the connector that you took a photo of. After snapping the photo I am wondering if I would could add the vacuum pump to my existing alternator
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks for the pics. It appears your 3 prong connector is running to your VR. Mine on the other hand does not utilizing that connection. I have a 2 prong running directly to the alternator and a separate hot wire (battery positive terminal) on the opposite side.

Maybe mine is wired like the diagram on on the left with an internal VR. In order to determine if it is a faulty VR my best option is to take to a alternator repair shop and have it tested. I have sourced a few OEM alternators but for the price I think it's best to test my current one.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Jimmie

Your 1977 would certainly have had an external VR when it was built.

But if you can't find one now then I'd guess your new alternator has it internally fitted.

Here's some photos from my 1979 and I believe theses photos show it in the same state as it left the factory back in July 1979:
EngineBayDec2014.jpg

Alternator3.jpg

Alternator5 .JPG

VoltReg1.jpg

I don't know if the above photos are any use to you.

:beer:

Edit later... Just remembered - The voltage regulator shown above is solid-state so that IS one change from the ex-factory charging system. You can see that the black cover is not as deep/high as the original electromechanical version.

Last edited:
Hello Tom,

I never get tired of looking at your photos but My pocket book does! Your pics continue to make me want to get this bj40 back to factory specs.

Anyhow, I think it is definitely built in the alternator. My plan is to have it tested to see if that is the cause of my ammeter showing some strange readings.

If your ammeter needle is fluctuating it could well be simply from worn out brushes within your alternator (that aren't making proper contact with the slip rings).

200,000 kms is often about the time that brushes are worn out ... but who knows how many kms your alternator there has done because it has no doubt been swapped in out of another vehicle at some time.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom