BJ40 Glow Plugs not getting juice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'79 BJ40 - When I switch on the glow I can hear the relay click, but neither the plugs or the resistor coil get juice.

All the fuses in the panel are OK and the starter turns over (I'm able to start the engine cold by holding a wire from the battery to the glow plugs for 10-15 seconds).

When I look at the electric diagram says there is a "fusible link" - does anyone know where that is or what it looks like?

12V BJ40 right?

If so, (and if it has the EDIC system of control) it should be wired like this:

Start&GlowWiring.jpg

The blue fusible link is the one that protects the glow circuits.

And both fusible links are found near your +Ve battery terminal. These photos show mine:

FusibleLinks2.jpg FusibleLinks3.jpg

They should have little fabric sleeves over them to contain the spatter when they blow (as you can see above).

:cheers:

PS. this thread should really be in the diesel forum.
Start&GlowWiring.jpg
FusibleLinks2.jpg
FusibleLinks3.jpg

So out of my +Ve terminal I have a wire which goes to the starter (1), and another two that disappear into the dash (2). Once, on a very curvy road, those two wandered into the steering column and were clipped in half (at night, it got pretty hairy :eek:). But no fusible link there then.

The other picture is of the relays. After looking at the wiring diagram you posted I realized I was looking at one for the wrong model - yours makes more sense :doh:

So I'm guessing the one on the right is the glow plug relay and the one on the left is for the starter? If that's the case I can start working back from there..

Thanks a lot for your post - you're awesome! :clap:
IMG_0713.JPG
IMG_0715.jpg

So out of my +Ve terminal I have a wire which goes to the starter (1), and another two that disappear into the dash (2). Once, on a very curvy road, those two wandered into the steering column and were clipped in half (at night, it got pretty hairy :eek:). But no fusible link there then.

The other picture is of the relays. After looking at the wiring diagram you posted I realized I was looking at one for the wrong model - yours makes more sense :doh:

So I'm guessing the one on the right is the glow plug relay and the one on the left is for the starter? If that's the case I can start working back from there..

Thanks a lot for your post - you're awesome! :clap:

Hi rloaderro

Judging from your photo, it looks like you don't have EDIC (electric diesel injection control) and I've found that is quite typical in south american cruisers. (I am not sure if they were made like that or if it is just a common owner modification.) Never-the-less, I think your start/glow wiring should still be similar to what I have drawn above.

Here's a photo of my glow relay and start relay:
RelayGlowStart.jpg

They're tucked up in the passenger footwell area of my RHD BJ40 (behind the big plastic heater duct that was removed for this photo).

So judging from this, I think you're right. (Right is Glow Relay and left is Start Relay in your picture.)

The red wires should be protected by fusible links (or at least some alternative like circuit-breakers or fuses) because otherwise you risk a vehicle fire in the event of electrical short-circuits.

What are the things I've circled in yellow here?

IMG_0713.JPG

Perhaps they are fuses?

Anyway I think those red wires are the ones you need to be looking at. And by the way, they don't look to be original because as far as I know Toyota didn't use red wire like that.

:beer:
RelayGlowStart.jpg
IMG_0713.JPG

Yeah, wiring is a mess - from the ones that aren't painted over only about half seem to match the colors in the diagram... The bit you circled is where those red wires were clipped in half by the steering column... so it's just duct tape holding it all together. Will revise...

Yeah, wiring is a mess - from the ones that aren't painted over only about half seem to match the colors in the diagram... The bit you circled is where those red wires were clipped in half by the steering column... so it's just duct tape holding it all together. Will revise...

I'd check if you have "juice" on both those red wires anyway. (Perhaps unwind the tape to check.)

Maybe the connection of one of them to the +Ve battery terminal is broken?

:beer:

(It is an easy check to do right at the start of investigations.)

Hi rloaderro,

My name is Rudi, I'm in Playas del Coco.
Where are you located?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom