Bilstein 6112 2.65 Front coilovers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched "6112" in this 120 forum and got no hits. I'm surprised more people aren't running these...

I was looking for a high performance, low maintenance suspension that I wouldn't have to rebuild and it seems like these would fit the bill perfectly.

Anyone else considering these?

Is there a downside to these? Are they not rebuildable?

I'm on the fence between those and Icons. Dropping hundreds of dollars on a rebuild in 2-3 years, plus the downtime, makes the Icons a less-appealing option. Still trying to decide what coils to use in the rear if I get the 6112s.

The Amazon price of 474.00 for the 6112 set made my decision easier. I'm hoping they are designed to last a long time, 100K+ with regular driving and moderate off road driving(not much high speed continued off road use).

I'm probably going to go with a 5100 in the rear because of the lifetime warranty and use Airlift air bags inside of rear 2" lift springs(brand undetermined yet)

I've dealt with Bilstein shocks a lot on customers cars and it seems like performance wise they are not great compared to the more expensive shocks out there. That being said if you just want a durable reliable shock that will outperform the stock setup and is readily available pretty anywhere this would be a great choice.

The valve stack in the Bilstiens is a little stiffer than I like for the 120 chassis. They like to use the same valving for multiple applications which isn't the best choice.

I run the FOX 2.5 factory series and love them. My truck rides better and handles better than the factory suspension. As far as longevity FOX says I shouldn't need a rebuild for up to 50k miles.

II also had Icon on my 80 series and they were great. I put 20k miles on them and not one issue.

Rebuilding the shocks isn't really that difficult or terribly expensive, compared to replacing. The parts and oil necessary to rebuild runs around $100 for both coilovers/shocks.

Like mentioned above bilstein tend to run on the firmer side across the board.

Different weights, different suspension angles, no guarantee they will work well on a 120

I will probably end up using them instead of the 5100 after all.

I can't tell what the difference is between this and just getting the 5100 with your choice of spring (for much less)?

Thicker shock body and (supposedly) smoother ride. Only a couple hundred dollar difference versus the 5100s with a Toytec coil. Not a huge difference over the life of the shock. I'm going to get some and see what they're like.

Tien also has a coilover for the prado/GX coming out this summer. Looks amazing.

Installing them now along with JBA UCA's. Going with Bilstein 5100's for now in the rear with the Icon Overland rear springs. Just ordered RCI complete skid plate kit, and Dark Gunmetal FN f(X) Pro wheels. Looking into tires now.

full

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I didn't measure the truck before or after. I ended up with 285/75/17 Toyo open country at2 extreme LRE, on FN wheels in dark gunmetal.

Also added the full 3/16" steel skid plate kit from RCI.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom