BFG KO2 Cracking at 10k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah that I understand that 100%, wish the guy at long distance did.

Long distance told BFG it was a slice.. Due to a road hazard that I hit...Hence this situation. My local guy who's a dealer has been on vacation so now I'm just going to wait till he comes back tomorrow to put this to rest

Thats crazy logic - hitting road hazard would cause damage in one spot of the tire, not cracking all around the tires. And to have the same problem repeated on several tires is highly unlikely, unless you run over the same road hazard back and forth many times, and ensure all of your tires are damaged in consistent and similar manner.

Good luck - I hope they will take care of you!

Print this page and take it to them to show the other similar failures. To be used as a last resort maybe. So many tires all with the same failure pattern. How could so many people hit the same kind of road hazard?

Will be interesting seeing how my 5th tire that was the spare holds out. Now that it's on the front.

The fist person that said he got his siped. I'm not buying it.

For the others that had the issue did any of you go in sand? Did you air down any of your tires offroad.

I decided to go ahead and order 4 285/75R16 KO2's moments ago. I run 100% on road basically to work and back. I'm good with tire pressures etc, 80 series Land cruiser, daily driver, otherwise stock. I'll try to remember to post here with my manufacture dates and if I see any cracks appearing. In store I looked at a couple KO2's and tried to work the tread in the area displaying cracking with my fingernail. There was no sign of delamination or any inconsistency in the tread in the few I checked. Not very scientific but it's about all you can do for free.

& we don't really know if the cracks are significant. For all we know, maybe all they are doing is increasing traction and they disappear when the tread wears to 1/2.

Hard to say. Maybe they are a "good thing" though unintentional.

I've had a pre-production set of KO2's on my FZJ80 for 18+ months with zero issues....they are likely as worn as any KO2 in the public. I've noted zero "cracking" issues.

I've got a set on my 3500 Ram dually as well...also, no noted issues. These are just at a year old.

I have recently emailed my contacts with BFG and made them aware of this thread and the issues. When I get a response, I'll post it here.

I've had a pre-production set of KO2's on my FZJ80 for 18+ months with zero issues....they are likely as worn as any KO2 in the public. I've noted zero "cracking" issues.

I've got a set on my 3500 Ram dually as well...also, no noted issues. These are just at a year old.

I have recently emailed my contacts with BFG and made them aware of this thread and the issues. When I get a response, I'll post it here.

B,

Hopefully soon. I've been a loyal BFG customer for years and need to buy 3 sets before the move. But, I'm really torn because of this issue.

J

B,

Hopefully soon. I've been a loyal BFG customer for years and need to buy 3 sets before the move. But, I'm really torn because of this issue.

J

I am watching this thread with great interest.

I have been a loyal Michelin customer - bought no other brand for at least 4-5 sets for previous and current cars, and never has problem. This is the first time I bought BFG. I went back and forth between Michelin vs BFG but decided I would try BFG, and the KO2 just look so good on LC.

While mine has not develop this cracks, I am now kicking myself for not buying Michelin. I find myself keep checking these tires like every weekend. LC is my wife and son dd, so safety is a priority. Maybe I am too paranoid.

I really wish BFG would come out and say this size, this batch, this production week may develop cracks, so I can check my tires, and see if they are included. If included, I like them replaced, or I will get different tires.

No issues with the set my wife is running on her 2014 Sequoia at 8,000 miles. I'll will continue to monitor.

Will be interesting seeing how my 5th tire that was the spare holds out. Now that it's on the front.

The fist person that said he got his siped. I'm not buying it.

For the others that had the issue did any of you go in sand? Did you air down any of your tires offroad.

Yes. I did run these on sand a couple times in Mex. Only had to air em down once for about 1 mile on REALLY deep beach sand.

I'm curious to know, those of you with cracking issues, what tire pressures are you running vs max. inflation pressure for your tire? Most of the KO2 tires in Land Cruiser sizes are Load Range E with a max. inflation pressure of 80psi. I am wondering if this cracking issue is in any way related to under-inflation?

I am watching this thread with great interest.

I have been a loyal Michelin customer - bought no other brand for at least 4-5 sets for previous and current cars, and never has problem. This is the first time I bought BFG. I went back and forth between Michelin vs BFG but decided I would try BFG, and the KO2 just look so good on LC.

While mine has not develop this cracks, I am now kicking myself for not buying Michelin. I find myself keep checking these tires like every weekend. LC is my wife and son dd, so safety is a priority. Maybe I am too paranoid.

I really wish BFG would come out and say this size, this batch, this production week may develop cracks, so I can check my tires, and see if they are included. If included, I like them replaced, or I will get different tires.

If it makes you feel any better, BFG is owned by Michelin....

people on mud worry too much! its is just a tire....meant to be used and abused.......and keep the family safe...yeah you guys have an issue...BFG.....are they the next firestone?

After fighting with a few ignorant shops and BFG right now they'll cover 85% of The cost for 5 new tires. Guess it's better than nothing, but I'm pretty disappointed I had to haggle with them when it should have been just taken care of. They seemed pissed because the spare had yet to be roated in, so rotate it in guys and make it worth your while.

$300 for new tires and to M/B them after driving on them for 6 months is slightly ridiculous

After fighting with a few ignorant shops and BFG right now they'll cover 85% of The cost for 5 new tires. Guess it's better than nothing, but I'm pretty disappointed I had to haggle with them when it should have been just taken care of. They seemed pissed because the spare had yet to be roated in, so rotate it in guys and make it worth your while.

$300 for new tires and to M/B them after driving on them for 6 months is slightly ridiculous

That is good to hear you are taken care of at the end. It is definitely disappointing to hear that they did not just take care of their consumer.

It's a bad batch. My original spare that wasn't replaced is now cracking. The new replaced ones aren't. So going to have to get it replaced. This time it was only driven on the road. No sand or low pressure. All pressures were between 32-35psi.
image.jpeg

Casting number from bad tire
image.jpeg

Casting number from good set.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom