BFG KM2 255/85/16 Discontinued, What do I do Now??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Flank

American by Birth, Texan by the grace of God.
Threads
Website
www.staltimber.com
I just ordered a replacement set of KM2 255/85/16 for my worn set. I got 4 1/2 years and almost 55K miles out of these (rotated with a 5th spare) and loved them.

Discount tire called me to tell me that the 255 was discontinued. $#!T!!!!:censor::bang:

Trying to figure out what to do now. Loved the tall skinnies, and the KM2 was an excellent tire in all terrain for me, from rocks of Nevada to mud, snow and ice in Northern Texas. Surprised me how well they did in the cold slick stuff.

What other tires are offered in the tall skinny? I don't really want to go to a 35 due to power (its my DD) and cost, and I have no plans to re-gear at this time. I can go 285s, but really liked the 255 for its mileage, traction, and for the look.

What do you think?

Try other tire retailers. You might find out someone has a set sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

I just checked tirerack.com and it appears they have them listed as "close out" @$217ea.

I had been looking for a certain set of Michelins that had been discontinued and my mechanic friend found a set in a local tire warehouse. It might be worth a little research. You may get lucky.

295/75r16 in Toyo Open Country ATII Xtreme. I've owned BFG MUDs for years and recently changed to these. Zero regrets.

I saw tire rack - they don't distribute in Dallas, closest warehouse is Shreveport, to the tune of $131 shipping, then I have to bring them to a shop to
have them installed. Makes that a no-go.

Believe it or not, you can try ebay or amazon.com. Just type in 255/85-16 and there are lots of results. If one of your requirements is "no shipping costs", then you might be out of luck, though.

I just searched Amazon and found 2 in stock... now I'm imagining you building a set from 4 different sources...

I did see them listed as available at Walmart. Whether or not your local Wally World can get them is another story.

guess I won't be getting 33x10's any time soon.
Other tires are available in that size, but I'm not about to spend $1000+ on tires
235/85R16 here I come!

That size came on my 89 Dodge 1 ton stock. It looked like pizza cutters way bad.

Well, I think I got it figured out. Wally World lists them as mentioned above, $9 more than Tire Rack or Discount per tire, won't price match tires that they do not stock, but they say they can get them. Shipped free to my local store, free installation with a $10 balancing / valve stem charge.
Ordered today.
Looks like my beloved and historic vendor for the last (probably) 23 years, Discount Tire, lost me this go around.

Curses to BFG for the discontinuation, but oh well.

Glad to hear you found a set.

guess I won't be getting 33x10's any time soon.
Other tires are available in that size, but I'm not about to spend $1000+ on tires
235/85R16 here I come!
If I was not about to do an additional lift and was not following trucks on 35s and 37s, I would consider these! 32x9.5-16, basically. These would look great on an unlifted older truck.

These would look great on an unlifted older truck.

I have no plans to lift my de-flared '92. It will basically be my DD, so I'm more worried about on-road characteristics. I still want something good for off-road for the rare times I get to do that, but snow/ice is more important. I know 32's will look OK because I've got a set of 17" FJC rims/tires I'm running currently. I don't really want to go any wider than a 265 and I agree that the 235's would look awesome.

General Grabber AT2 is what I've been looking at, but I want the rig to be rolling before I buy tires for it. I'm running out of space in the 1.5 car garage!

All that said, these trucks with the stock 31x10.5 and no lift are pretty capable animals. I've also noticed that for most applications over seas they run tall-skinny tires. They work great in just about any terrain except in some very extreme cases. The smaller contact patch helps by increasing ground-pressure and helps to cut through whatever is in the way until you hit something solid. The trouble comes in deep mud where there is no real bottom to the soft stuff. That is when you want a wider/bigger "flotation" tire to get across the top without digging in too much.

I probably just :worms: but, oh well...

Let us know what you end up doing!

I was recently told the same thing for a different tire for my Jeep GC by Discount Tire. I went to Tires Plus and they had them in stock. Like one of the other posters stated: Check other retailers. Maybe they are discontinued, but that does not mean they don't exist......

Maxxis makes a mud terrain tire in 255/85R16, the Bighorn. Most people seem to like them and they are reasonably priced.

Cooper STT/Maxx - 255/85r16. Wider than most 255s - about 33.5" , great tire. Hybrid between an MT and AT.

16280163071_22c452491a_b.jpg

16251879925_cd3698ab25_b.jpg

Costco just told me they could get them for me but they can't mount them due to Michelin policy. Something about a 6% change from factory width and 5% is the cutoff. Roughly $965 for me to roll them out their door since they can't mount them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom