Bfg at vs Goodyear dura track vs nitto terra grappler? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a new set of tires to replace my 275/70/18 BFG at's.

I'm looking at either the BFG or nitto at 285/65/18 size. Or the Goodyears in at 295 /65/18.

I like the idea of a 295 6518 size. And I think the Goodyears have Kevlar on the side walls? My questions are:

1 which tire will get me the best wet traction?
2 which tire will do best off-road? I think it's the Goodyears but I wanted to get a second thought.
3 which will last the longest?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have bfg on my 40. Nitto on my 60 and Michelin on my 100. (Mainly pavement an general dirt roads there) best all propose tire for me is the nitto

I have bfg on my 40. Nitto on my 60 and Michelin on my 100. (Mainly pavement an general dirt roads there) best all propose tire for me is the nitto

Any issues with wet traction or with hydroplaning?

No not really. Nitto ride better on screwed up tucson streets and are more quiet than the bfg

Good info, thanks.

The ride will vary from vehicle setup to anther. Each tire has a spring rate built into the sidewall and changes with air pressure. For example on my 40 bfg I hated them as I drove away from discount tire. But i dropped airpressre down to about 31 psi and made all the diff. Nitto seem to ride better at a range of pressures but I have OME heavy springs and lift on that truck. Lots of variables. Confusing for sure

I like the idea of a 295 6518 size. And I think the Goodyears have Kevlar on the side walls?

The Duratracs don't have the Kevlar sidewalls that is the MTRs (at least they aren't advertised with it). Some people report sidewall issues with them, others have no problems.

My questions are:

1 which tire will get me the best wet traction?
2 which tire will do best off-road? I think it's the Goodyears but I wanted to get a second thought.
3 which will last the longest?

Any help would be appreciated.
1) They will all be pretty good.
2) Probably the Duratracs or the new BFG KO2s which are getting excellent reviews.
3) Given the track record of the old BFG KOs and that they are advertising the KO2s to be better I would expect them to last the longest.

The 295/65/18 is load range E and should have the 3 ply sidewall. No Kevlar. I haven't heard of anybody having sidewall problems with the 3 ply sidewalls. The load range C, 2 ply sidewall, Duratracs were the ones that got some negative feedback a while back. They may have upgraded those to 3 ply by now, but I'm not certain.

I'm very impressed with my load range E duratracs (315/75/16). They are much better than my BFG ATs offroad, and quieter on road. They are much quieter and better handling onroad than my KM2s. Haven't tried the new KO2s

Last edited:
I also haven't heard of issues with the E-rated Duratracs, only the C-rated ones like a 33x12.5-15. I have had my 285-16 DTs since 2011 and I think there are over 55k on them, they look around 1/2 tread to me - pretty darn good IMO on a heavy truck like this. I only wheel light trails and I have no complaints offroad. On-road they survived snow, ice, rain, dry, etc etc no issues.

All 3 of those choices are solid contenders and should perform very close in those environments listed. I know the BFGs have always been put high on the pedestal and are a great all-around tire for many people, for decades. The new version looks even more solid, I've been seeing them more frequently now. The Nittos also seem like a great choice and people seem to like them a lot as well. Personally I think my next tire might be something like the Toyo Open Country AT2

Unfortunately, finding any one person with long term experience on all 3 tires is about impossible...I ran Terra Grapplers on my Duramax and they were okay...no personal experience with the Duratracs, but have heard they are great in snow and good highway and offroad.

I am thoroughly impressed with my KO2's...having a hard time finding anything to complain about. Highway, snow, rocks, mud (for an AT)...impressed enough that I'm planning a set on my Ram dually next to see how they handle towing torture...

Having read the posts above and having done some research, I'm leaning towards the KO2's as well. They all seem to be great tires, but I don't see a reason to switch from the bfgs. I was concerned about the hydroplaning of the ko's, but the Ko2's seem to have addressed that.

I am in the exact same quandary. While I could just get 2 OEM LTX's, I am planning to go 285/75/16 and either get BFG KO2's or Terra Grapplers. The LTX's have served me well when I lived in SW Florida, but E. Tennessee provides much more challenging terrain and myriad options of places to go.

As it stands, I am planning to purchase the KO2s on Monday. They are a fair bit more expensive than the Nittos, but I refuse to allow cost to come into decision making when it comes to tires.

How much off roading are you going to be doing ? I am teaching / coaching off road every weekend so I actually get to see these tires get put to the test. Out here in NC where I go we have some pretty sharp rocks. Unfortunately I have not seen the new BFG's get used here yet but can comment on others for you. Pretty much the Duratracs , All Nitto, Toyo, have done pretty good here. The older BFG all Terrains not so well on the rocks / mud. All the rest have done well. The owners like them and they flex well down to the pressures we run them about 15psi. The owners like them. I run Nitto myself both the Terra and Trail and have not had an issue one in 5 years of trying them. Most sets I got were already lighty used and I still got good ride / mileage out of them.

I'm out on trails anywhere from half a dozen to a dozen times a year. More fire roads and less technical trails, but I do both. Good feedback, I wish you had some experience with the KO2's, they have gotten such incredible reviews. Also, i'm surprised to hear about the BFG's not doing well. I had a set on my Land Rover, Took some pretty nasty terrain, never had any issues and it lasted me over 75k miles. The current set on my LC haven't lasted me nearly as long. I've been told that the quality of the product has gone down a bit.

The original KO was launched in the late 70's...obviously, tire technology has come a long way :) I had a set of KO's on for a short time, and they were ok. The KO2 is night and day better in every aspect, both on and off road. Handling, stability, traction, sidewalls all drastically improved.

The Duratrac's are a bit aggressive than an AT. They also have good reviews about their winter traction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom