BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/a or All-Terrain.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im putting a new set of 285/75/16 tires on my 97 Landcruiser. Mostly highway driving. Im not gonna use a lift kit or make any modifications. Im just wondering if anybody has any feedback on either of these tires. Im leaning toward the Rugged Terrain T/A because i heard its a bit better on gas mileage and quiter....yet has a cool/aggressive tread look. Any opinions? Thanks!!!

I'm in the same situation and looking for input on the rugged terrains. I've had the a/t on previous trucks and loved it but I don't know that I need an aggressive tire like I used to. My LX is the daily driver now and I want something that can handle trails but I'm gonna be on the road 90% of the time. In theory, the rugged terrain is probably what I need but I need more info on it.

Also, the rugged terrains aren't in stock anywhere and I'm hesitant to order them without seeing them in person.

Seems like there are a lot of these types of tires out there now, they are what I call a 80/20 tire (meant for 80% of the time on-road, 20% off-road). If you are looking for that type of tire I have heard very good things about the Hankook Dynapro ATm RF10 and the Falken WildPeak AT (also sold as the Rocky Mountain ATS by DiscountTires).

The Rugged Terrain is the worst tire BFG has ever made, does not compete with the AT or MT in any way.

Wears s***ty, no traction, just a cheap tire. Don't waste your money.

"D" rated (heavy load) BFG 285 AT's on an 80 series are proven off road and quiet on highway.

My only complaint is in the sticky mud, where the tread will fill up and can cause major slippage. ...they seem best suited on dry, rock, dirt..

If your an 80/20 mostly highway guy...they are probably overkill....but, at the same time, i think its best to be prepared for the worst case scenarios (think debris, potholes, ect in the highway at 55 mph or a quick jaunt off pavement into the unknown.

Everybody says good things about the all terrains and even I used to have a lot of respect for the tire but ever since I have had them on my fjc Ive devcided i wouldn't buy them again. I just never could balance them just right, they took to much weight to balance, and they got got out of balance multiple times. It made my fjc miserable to drive over 45. Maybe they would be good with dynabeads. Look at the wildpeak ats, they look like an excellent tire

The Rugged Terrain is the worst tire BFG has ever made, does not compete with the AT or MT in any way.

The old version I would 100% agree with but the new one (came out last year) is alot better tire all the way around.

I've run both on various vehicles. My experience is, given comparable maintenance, you'll get almost twice the miles out of the ATs, have better on-off road bite and a firmer response. No contest in my experience.

I'm looking for a highway/sand tire, which are supposed to be about the same use (air down for sand) and I've been looking towards the Firestone Destination AT. I've heard they're quiet, handle great, good in wet, good in snow, and last a long time. I've never had them or even any Firestone tire, I always thought they were a poor tire brand for the most part, but it seems F-Stone is trying to make a comeback (like Continental is with the DW and DWS) and this is one of the tires they're doing it with. Check reviews on Tirerack.

Last edited:
Can't say enough good things about the all terrains. I think I have 75,000 + on my current set. Solid tires. A bit spendy, but you get what you pay for!

Agreed, expensive, but fantastic mileage.

"D" rated (heavy load) BFG 285 AT's on an 80 series are proven off road and quiet on highway.

My only complaint is in the sticky mud, where the tread will fill up and can cause major slippage. ...they seem best suited on dry, rock, dirt..

If your an 80/20 mostly highway guy...they are probably overkill....but, at the same time, i think its best to be prepared for the worst case scenarios (think debris, potholes, ect in the highway at 55 mph or a quick jaunt off pavement into the unknown.

Agreed, my 2 main complaints are that they don't clean out well in heavy mud/clay and they can hydroplane on puddles. Otherwise, I love the ATs!!

Have you ran the new rugged terrain?? I have about 20k on a set on my F350 and they have been awesome. So much quieter and smoother than the ATs that were on it and they dont even look like that have any miles on them.

I'd also look at Yokohama AT and Toyo Open Country A/T. I didn't know there was a new Rugged Terrain out.

Have you ran the new rugged terrain?? I have about 20k on a set on my F350 and they have been awesome. So much quieter and smoother than the ATs that were on it and they dont even look like that have any miles on them.

I also have the new Rugged Terrains on my F350 and they still look brand new with 24k on them. Very little loss of tread and look sharp!

Does anyone know if BFG 285/55/20's AT's will fit the factory wheel wells a LC 100 series without a lift?

I put a set of the Rugged Terrains on my wife's 4runner this past winter and loved them, so I just got a set for my Silverado 4X4. Don't confuse the Rugged Terrains with the Rugged Trails. Two different tires.
001.JPG

Last edited:
I flatted four Rugged Terrain one 1800 mile trip, mostly highway. One torn sidewall, one went down in one minute and two slow leaks. I have never flatted two tires on a trip.

They were on the vehicle when i bought it, had 2/3 tread.

They are street tires imo..

Last edited:
I need some new tires also, running the 33x10.5 r15 bfg all terrain t/a ko's, I actually have 105,000 kms on them, the tread is almost at the wear bars but on a couple of the tires the rubber is splitting so that you can actually see the steel cords when you look closely. I have used them mostly on road, don't wheel as much as I used to. I have no complaints at this point, seems they have done quite well.
Seeing as how I drive mostly on the road I was thinking of a slightly less aggressive tire...all of the kal tire locations I call highly recommend the wild country xtx sport. The bfgs look good on the cruiser though...will also be dropping down to 31s. Anyhow leaning on getting the bfg ko's again, but I tend to overthink things blah blah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom