Betsy the Farm Truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Such a great story on this truck!!

Thanks Andrew. She's been ornery at times, and has pissed me off alot, but at the end of the day, she's a pretty good old girl.

Well my chapters of the Betsy Saga are soon to come to an end. She will soon be going to her new home with @Hugh Heifer now that he is back from his adventures in the SE Pacific.

We are working on logistics, but since my biggest fear is not delivering as advertised, I am trying to get her all spit shined up and ready for her trip east.

I have documented all the things that I have done with her since we go her here and I figure why stop now. I am going thru a few things and plan to knock out a few others that I just never got around to, and I have a couple of little extras that I hope I can get in before I hand over the keys.

I will put a few pics up over the next few days and will be sure to document our last ride.

What's heffer gonna do with it? I'm betting hes gonna put an RTT over the bed, hang out by the eternal flame and reflect on the 3 years spent in paradise. :rainbow:

Last edited:
I'm not gonna touch that one. The man who flies in the black helicopters can do whatever he wants to with it. But I suspect it will be serving similar duties as it did for us. Hauling junk and making Lowe's runs.

And since my greatest fear is selling, especially someone I know, a lemon, I'm going over her really well before I send her to VA.

She got an oil and filter change today and a new set of plugs and wires. It ran so I never messed with them. Found one of the cap terminals wasn't making good contact, so probably grab a cap and rotor this week.

0507171516.jpg

The plug in number 4 looked like it hadn't seen much fire in a while.

0507171520.jpg

And all done.

0507171604.jpg

Not sure I could tell much difference, but I know its done now.

After I finished that up I started looking at the dash and it really bothered me that I never cleaned up that old hack job, so I decided today was the day.

It took a minute, but I got the stupid "aftermarket" gauges out. Wire nuts are acceptable for automotive use, right?....

0507171616_HDR.jpg

He butchered the old cluster. But thankfully he just T tapped into the harness.

0507171629a.jpg

0507171629.jpg

I got a replacement on the way. Why, well when we talked about it, he said it would be emissions exempt, but needed to have working signals and such and while they work now, the guy hacked up the printed board so badly that the dash lights couldn't work. I just can't turn the keys over like that.

0507171628.jpg

One thing you gotta love about these old trucks, I backed it up and parked it with the dash looking like this. Anything much newer would have been immobilized...

0507171636_HDR.jpg

I'm going to un-pin the plug and put some heat shrink over the t-tap splices to clean the harness up and then drop in the new cluster.

Once I get that in then put the interior back together and vacuum it out good.

I also adjusted the clutch and it seems to shift easier, think just a smidge more should get that.

Last edited:
You know hugh is going to take all that right back out because he's more anal than you.

All those scotch locks made me throw up a little.

Oh there are plenty of little projects left to sort if he so chooses. And once I drop the keys, he can do whatever he wants with it, I just gotta feel good about handing over the keys.

You seem like a seriously straight up guy, @jynx . My last straight six was in a 1980 F250 with Dana 60s front and rear. Best truck I ever had. Cracked a piston in southern North Carolina, motor locked for a minute. Beat on it with a hammer while jumping the starter and drove it home over 400 miles. Replaced the piston in my college parking lot with the motor in the truck and drove it a couple more years trouble free.

The Heifermans certainly appreciate the extra work!

The wife and I are planning on an around the world adventure in that truck so it needs to be in tiptop shape....

Or at least make it to the dump once a month, Lowes most Sundays and of course the mulch store. It will serve those duties until I find something else that strikes my fancy. I have my eye on a 1963 Ford Econoline Pickup. :lol:

Sad thing is, it is all stuff that should have been done a few moons ago. Plus, it gives me an excuse to tinker a little, you know not like I don't have plenty of other stuff to be doing :cool:

Anyway, this beaut arrived today.

0512171003.jpg

It really is amazing how much of a hack job was done on the old one. It took me a minute to decide that it was the same, just with all the appropriate parts in all their proper locations.

Going to plug it in tomorrow and see if the gas hand works, cause lets be honest, in these old 300 straight 6 Fords, coolant and oil are just a suggestion, but gas, you gotta have gas to make her go. :steer:

Cluster is in. Blinkers work, hi-beam indicator works, seat belt light works, bit I pulled that bulb cause it doesn't go out. Oil pressure comes up, but gas gauge doesnt seem to move. May be a bad sender in the tank. Haven't ran it long enough to see if the temp guage comes up. Speedo seems to work fine.

I call that a win based on how big a meaa it was before.

0514171348.jpg

Cleaned the junk out of the bed today too. So just need to check trans, t-case and rear end and we should be ready to roll east.

It didnt have one in it before. The PO ghetto rigged a temp and voltage gauge on and had an oil pressure guage in there but it never worked. The temp was plumbed to a sensor in the block, but quit working a few months back.

The fuel guage moves ever so slightly when the key is turned on, but doesn't get above the E mark, so I feel like there is power getting there, so maybe just a bad wire at the tank. Haven't really ever chased it, I just always filled it up before every trip and kept a can with me.

I'm thinking I may run it up to the station tomorrow to stretch her legs a little and fill her up. Could just be hung up.

I unpinned and checked the tapped wires and then put some heat shrink on them and plugged them back into the connector before I put the cluster in. They just nicked the jackets on each, cores still looked solid.

On deck tomorrow is probably front brake lines, if I can get them loose, fluids, checking bearings out and gathering up the assorted "extras" that will be going with her to her new home.

Tomorrow is the day. Finally.
Should be to you no later than 12.
I am excited....if it was a 40 series I wouldn't sleep tonight.
Then 9 more days and I get move in my house.

Safe travels @Hugh Heifer we will be looking for you. Can't miss it, its sitting right in the front yard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom