Best Winch For FZJ80 With ARB Front Bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Iceaxe

I am my rig's nemesis.
Threads
Ok, let's hear it- what do you guys think? I've got a 2.5" TJM lift on the rig.

One that works when you need it.

Is it going to be for occasional use, or frequent use? I run a Warn M12000, but use it weekly for work around the farm. Also am in the woods by myself at least 4 days/month.

If it's something you'll use twice a year and travel with others, a Harbor Freight special will get the job done.

Ok, let's hear it- what do you guys think? I've got a 2.5" TJM lift on the rig.

I had a M8000 up front but quickly found out it is a little underpowered for a heavy vehicle like the 80..unless you want to be using a snatch block all the time. The M12000 is a beast but heavy and a bit overkill for my occasional usage. After doing some research, I settled on Warn's Endurance 12000. Better built than a VR, but not as beefy as the M12000 (lighter too). Kind of an in-between model. Others will suggest HF or similair winches, but I wouldnt trust one for occasional use. One winter in Reno with that brine s*** that they spray on the roads and any poorly sealed winch will be toast.

I just installed a m12000. May be overkill but I want it to be reliable and get me out when I need it.

The size will depend on your specific needs of course.
There is also the issue of fitting and max load rating. IIRC, last time I checked I saw that the Deluxe bumper was rated for a 10,000 lbs winch. They did not say 12,000 at the time. This is not a fitting matter, the M12000 physically fits fine, it's more whether the bumper mounting and fastening surfaces can handle the higher static pull. They didn't say explicitly that it was good for the 12,000.
Some winches may need spacers to fit.
And remember the issue of feet forward or not.
And the weight vs decreased lift issue.

When I was putting my set up together I called ARB (this was last year). They specifically told me that the Deluxe bumper is now designed for the m12000. Also, the m12000 is only supposed to be mounted feet forward. The good thing about that, is that it comes set up that way already out of the box, so you don't have to clock the clutch or anything. Simply bolts right in.

do you know when the change -if any- was made? Or is it just a new rating for the same ole bumper?
Yup, feet forward for the M12. Warn is pretty clear about that. And it makes perfect sense. Always amazed me that some folks would not do it that way.

Well the cats meow would be a Mile Marker Hydraulic. 100% duty cycle, two speed gearbox, used by military, blah blah .......

That's what I have... absolutely love it. 10,500lbs fits fine.

do you know when the change -if any- was made? Or is it just a new rating for the same ole bumper?
Yup, feet forward for the M12. Warn is pretty clear about that. And it makes perfect sense. Always amazed me that some folks would not do it that way.

I didn't ask when the change was made, but I do know that I didn't have to redrill any new holes for mounting, or the fairlead or anything, like many have had to. When I'm around a bunch of other bumpers at GSMTR I'll try to remember to check bumper thickness between old and new.

I didn't ask when the change was made, but I do know that I didn't have to redrill any new holes for mounting, or the fairlead or anything, like many have had to. When I'm around a bunch of other bumpers at GSMTR I'll try to remember to check bumper thickness between old and new.

well, the older ARBs rated for the Warn 10K would hold a M12000 just fine without any drilling or spacers of any kind AFAICT. I wondered if that rating was because the Warn 10,000 was it in that general class at the time.

Well, the ComeUp is a Taiwan winch and no doubt will be ok. It looks better made than your average Harbor Freight garbage, throw away winch. Maybe 20 years from now, we'll say it's great. It takes time to learn these things though, and from following thousands of winch threads over many years, plus personal experience with an M12000, 2 x 8274s, and an M8000, I'd have to say that Warn is the first choice and every other winch has something to prove.

The M12,000 is awesome though in an 80 bumper. I've had mine 10 years without issue. As it should be.

Great customer service from Warn too - sent me a new solenoid pack for an 8274 winch I bought used as a "warranty".

I too have been following various winches for years and have owned Warn winches in the past. No question they are good winches and my 8274-50 was my favorite up to this point. I know when people see that COMEUP is made in Taiwan the immediately think it's cheap. I can tell you that is NOT the case. These are high quality winches and are arguably sealed even better than the Warn winches as they are capable of being run fully submersed with no sign of water intrusion. They're using quality components as well. When you see one up close you can see that quality. Personally I'm not going to wait around for 20 years to see if they're great. I'm confident they are already there and are the only true competition for Warn in offroad winches. I'm talking about the premium level Warns not the entry level VR series. Those are clearly inferior to the COMEUPs from everything I can tell.

I was able to speak with the owner of COMEUP (in person) a few weeks ago and he knows he's the "new kid in town" and has an uphill climb to build his company's reputation to have a legitimate shot at being thought of as highly as Warn but he's doing it right with a high level of quality as well as service from what I have seen.

COMEUP is an official partner for the Rainforest challenge. I figure if these guys can trust them in these types of competition conditions, then they must be something pretty special.

COMEUP winches are also used on all the trucks that Arctic Trucks builds for polar expeditions. Pretty sure those guys aren't going to gamble on a winch that wouldn't work when they needed it.

Ice%20Truck.jpg

Comeup%2BWhite%2BHilux%2B2010.jpg

The problem for a company like ComeUp is that maybe they are the Toyota of the winch world and will in the end, reign supreme. The problem is, that that they could also be the Daewoo of the winch world, disappearing in 3 years never to be seen again. You don't know. Where as Warn, and to some extent, Superwinch Husky series are here and now, but proven over the last 40 years and still have spare parts available for the 3rd rebuild. Is ComeUp going to be here in 10, 20, 30, 40 years? Possible but doubtful. Looks like a good winch from the specs. I hope they find a niche.

They are in a tight spot though. More expensive than universal cheap chinese winches, and unproven over long periods of time. In 10 years, we'll know. Competition prevents complacency though, so good to see them in the mix.

COMEUP has been around since 1975. So I think they've proven they have some longevity. ;)

Adam, I don't want to argue with you, but do you know any ComeUp winch used and still in service from 1975? How about from 1990? 2000? And if you have a 1975 ComeUp can you get rebuild parts for it? There is maybe a year or two of experience with those here in the USA. And did ComeUp make winches in 1975 or were they making something else? I hope it's a good winch, but to make a confident recommendation with no experience other than a few glossy pictures and some assurances seems unwise.

Just for reference, I have a 1978 8274 that I'm still running. A 1990 8274 I'm still running(with a new solenoid pack), and a 2003 M12000 I'm still running. The point is; proof vs hope.

I think we are in agreement though, that the Warn VR series is just an attempt not to loose too much market share to UniversalCheapChineseWinches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom