Best way (easiest) to remove freeze plugs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thecrazygreek

A.K.A. TheCraftyGreek
Threads
Just need to know how it's done... yes I searched...

Thanks

:cheers:

get a hammer and a screwdriver and hit it off center to turn is sideways, then just pull it out with some pliers

Get a dend puller, screw it into the plug and bang it out. Don't have one then the screw driver/prybar/hammer method works great. The freezing water also works but don't go there or you will be posting here looking for info on someone to weld your block.

Get a dend puller, screw it into the plug and bang it out. Don't have one then the screw driver/prybar/hammer method works great. The freezing water also works but don't go there or you will be posting here looking for info on someone to weld your block.

Yep... Slide hammer should work

Aren't the purpose of freeze plugs to prevent a cracked block in case of freezing temperatures? Or do they not work right? You can tell I'm from California, never had to worry about freezing temperature (until last week)

Yes in a perfect world, I have only had one pop in 30 years of vehicle ownership. The idea being that as antifreeze freezes, figure that out, it will expand and push out the freeze plug. Now that being said if the plug goes and all the slush follows no prob. but if there is sufficient liquid left and it all freezes and expands it could take the path of least resistance. If that is a thin wall of your block, so be it. My thoughts, could be wrong.

Aren't the purpose of freeze plugs to prevent a cracked block in case of freezing temperatures? Or do they not work right?
No, the core plugs are in the casting to allow breaking up and removing the sand cores for the casting mold.

They have the happy benefit of allowing frozen water to expand and push out the plugs (sometimes). But that does not always work. Depending on the shape of the water jacket, there can be pockets of water that do not have easy access to a plug, or a large enough plug. Then the expanding ice will just crack the block or head through a core plug opening (a natural weak spot).:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom