Best Tires Without Lift (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys - I need new tires and I don't want to get a lift right now - can you tell me (and post pics if you have them) of the tires you went with WITHOUT a lift?

looking for recommendations, thanks!

a.

31 by 10.5 if they make that size anymore.

60 or 62? 60's tend to sag a bit more in the rear. Cool cruisers recommends 30 x 9.5, and I would go with these because stock trucks look best without the tires filling up the wheel wells, IMO. BFG sells these, along with the 31's mentioned above.

If your rear is sagging a quick Add A Leaf in the rear packs will solve your sag. That would create enough clearance for 31's.

AAL's are cheap, they ran $60 years ago when I got them. Or you can add leafs from spare spring packs if you have them laying around.

I believe the OEM stock tire size is Ø29" from the factory?

From factory they're closer to 32" tall but heaps skinnier. 31x10.5x15 is most suitable unless you've got 16" rims.

I always felt 31x10.5x15 were the best fit, both for looks and gearing. If someone has a tire of the same diameter, but a bit skinnier, that would be cool too. Like a 235/85r15 (I doubt anybody makes that size). If your're not concerned about off road clearance or drive mostly around town, I would recommend 235/75r15 too.

My 62 is wearing 33x12.5x15 on stock suspension and stock wheels, FWIW. Works fine for me, but I would prefer to have the gearing a little tighter.

Honestly I'm rolling on some 33x10.50 15" BFG Mudd Terrain tires and they roll just fine not noticing any hookup issues or lags in power. Also the reason I have them is because they had brand new tread they are 2013 tires and i got them from a guy for $175 total a steal! If you consider the cost of 4 brand new ones with certs and labor added to be roughly around $900-$1000 from Discount Tire. lol

A brand new USA FJ60 drove off the dealer's lot with 225/75R15 tires (28"). Tiny by today's standards. That is Toyota's recommendation if you want to drive a FJ60 station wagon. I think the FJ62 stock tires were 235s (but not sure).

For the FJ60, a better choice (if you want the best stopping distances and acceleration) would be 235/75R15. You can get this size in All Terrain tires that can run higher psi and have more aggressive tread compared to 225's

If you want to drive off road in sand, 31" tires are recommended and they will fit without rubbing on the stock suspension. Gearing though will be a bit high on the FJ60 but OK.

You guys got ripped only having 28's from standard.
Pretty much all 1970's, 80's and early 90's Landcruisers in Australia came from factory with the equivalent of a 32" split rim as poverty pack then they go to 15" and 16" options from there with 31" and equivalent metric.

I love the idea of a tall narrow split rim tyres and I've run plenty of them on long hauls but they're not the most comfortable or capable off road tyre but they make up for that in reliability, predictability and ease of repair.

All in all the 31.5x10.5x15 story is your cheapest, most versatile long term option.

no we got screwed when they decided everyone else should have a 5spd and we should only have a spacer to make the transfer think it has a 5spd in front of it.

We also got screwed with the 3.70 gears, which zaps engine power with larger tires.

Without a lift, you can fit the same tires that you can with a lift.

33x10.5's on stock wheels generally don't rub. Perhaps only in the front with the wheel fully stuffed to the bumpstop and turned as far as it would go. And then only a little bit on the inner fender.

In my experience (and opinion), 31's are the most I could tolerate with stock gearing and the 2F. 33's w/4.11 gears are an exact match to US stock gears & tires.

From factory they're closer to 32" tall but heaps skinnier. 31x10.5x15 is most suitable unless you've got 16" rims.

Umm, 7,5 x 16 is closer to 30" to 31" on the vehicle 7.5 +7.5+16=31
Here in Africa 7.5 x16 can be found anywhere in tar and offroad tread, so they are good ones to go with.
The 235/85R16 make the best fit for a 60 or 62 though IMO. they sit at 31" to 31.5" when fitted and the extra width makes it look good. And they can be mixed with 7.5r16's in an emergency.
If these were available in the 80's, I'm sure Mr. T would have fitted them.

OK, so in USA speak, that's a 9.25 x 7.86 x16 which is close to 31.7" close to your 32 Criek, but closer to 31 fitted and rolling.

Last edited:
31 tires with stock engine and stock gears...is about it...any taller than that...power is significantly reduced on the bottom end.. Yes I ran 31's when my truck was stock. If you want to take a half hour to get to 50mph.....then proceed with larger tires (with no other changes).

For 33 inch tires I think 4.11 gearing is appropriate, for 35 inch tires...4.56 or 4.88...etc.

4:11s and 33's is fine as long as:
1. the truck has a 5spd like it should
or
2. the truck never see's pavement.

even with a tired 2f, 33's and 3:70s do just fine.

Always gotta drag out the dusty differential gear calculator when a tire thread comes up...

This chart's color band recommendation was not created with the 4K RPM red line of the 2F Land Cruiser engine in mind. But it does show a good relationship. Take note of the RPM differences of 28" tires (stock) compared to 31s and 33s.

I do not know what vehicle speed these RPM values were derived from, but from experience with driving 31" tires with 3:73 gears, it seems to be pretty accurate (a little bit tall, but OK. Good for the freeway, but not ideal in the hills or when poking around on dirt roads... but acceptable).

differential gear calculator.jpg

So what can you deduce from that chart if you don't know what speed it was calculated at?

That chart was done at 65 mph. mph*gear ratio*336 divided by tire size = rpm

Ok, so you start with your known power band or range of RPMs in which you want to operate, then from the chart you can determine what combinations of tires and gears will put you in that range I guess. Is that what a chart like that is primarily used for?

Or if you didnt know what your gears you had, you could determine what they were, now that we know what the MPH was when that chart was made, correct?

And by "Tire Size" I assume it means the actual diameter of the tire, mounted on the vehicle with the weight on it? I mean we all know, most 33s aren't actually 33" in diameter.

And to the OP, 31x9.50/15!
buckshot.jpg

Buckshot Bias Ply!

The chart is a guide. Rock crawlers and high [speed] freeway commuters have different needs and would therefore use the chart's recommendation accordingly. As we all know, there is no perfect size of tire (or gearing) that will be ideal for all situations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom