Best spot to mount brake controller? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Widmer brewery is 20 minutes from my house. They have a nice pub across the street from their brewery that serves most of their beer... on tap.. :cool: Good sausage too. :eek:

:beer:

Looks like a fun place. That beer looks tasty! I don't think they would ship me a case:crybaby:

best location is where it's easy for you to hit it in a panic stop.

Crap, there goes the right knee....!

More info on the removable controller? Although I suspect it won't be too difficult to make my Prodigy removable between vehicles.

best location is where it's easy for you to hit it in a panic stop.

As soon as I dry fitted it there it was like a light bulb going off :idea: So much easier to reach than down by my knees. :cheers:

Crap, there goes the right knee....!

More info on the removable controller? Although I suspect it won't be too difficult to make my Prodigy removable between vehicles.

You buy one controller. In the box is two different kinds of mounts, the one I used (permenant) and a plastic "pocket mount" that it can slide in and out of.

You have to buy another pocket mount and wiring harness to install in the other tow rig.

When you want to tow with the other tow rig just slide the prodigy out of the sleeve, unplug the connector and it's ready to fit in the other rig.

Here is a link where you can buy the extra pigtail and extra pocket mount.

:cheers:

Nice install...

Alas I have a CB in the ashtray so I installed my controller just to the left of the console, above the skinny pedal about the location you show in your second picture only lower on the flat part of the panel. Despite what I thought originally I have NEVER hit it with my foot or leg, yet :)

Did you find the most challenging part of the entire installation was splicing into the brake switch wire? Very little room to manuever up there, short piece of wire, etc...What a total PITA and it was obvious Toyota did not design the FZJ80/LX450 with a trailer brake in mind as CDan has stated before...

On to phase 2 of trailer wiring fun. :D

I had to find a good spot to put the 7 pin adaptor. It is a Hoppy #47185. The only place I could find local that had it in stock was Walmart. It was somewhere around $28.00

PICT0001-22.jpg

PICT0002-14.jpg

It came with a mount that I couldn't find a good place to mount.
H22_48615-01.jpg

I didn't want to drill holes in the new receiver for the above mount, and mounting it under the bumper is not acceptable since it would get crushed when I take it offroad.

The only place left is in the bumper.

I figured since I wasn't going to use the factory pintle mount anymore, that would be an ideal location. I measured the hole & it measured 2 1/8", so I got a 2¼" hole saw.

Finding center.
PICT0003-15.jpg

Pre-drilling pilot hole
PICT0004-13.jpg

The bumper is 2 layers, but wasn't too big of a problem
PICT006.jpg

The last bit of metal was kind of a pain to cut out. The hole saw didn't want to stay strait, since it was at a slope.
PICT0007-10.jpg

Finally through!
PICT0008-11.jpg

Didn't even break the pilot bit! :bounce:
PICT0010-12.jpg

Dry fit to make sure it will work
PICT0009-11.jpg

All mounted up.
PICT0016-6.jpg

I will get better pics tomorrow if anybody wants to see the final product in better light and a wide angle shot so you can see the overall looks of it. It was around 8:00 pm when I got the last bolt tight, and was starting to get dark.

Last edited:
Nice install...

Alas I have a CB in the ashtray so I installed my controller just to the left of the console, above the skinny pedal about the location you show in your second picture only lower on the flat part of the panel. Despite what I thought originally I have NEVER hit it with my foot or leg, yet :)

Did you find the most challenging part of the entire installation was splicing into the brake switch wire? Very little room to manuever up there, short piece of wire, etc...What a total PITA and it was obvious Toyota did not design the FZJ80/LX450 with a trailer brake in mind as CDan has stated before...

I haven't wired/spliced anything yet. I wanted to get the 7 pin mounted first so I have something to wire to.

Now I'm all set and can start the wiring tomorrow. That reminds me, I still need to buy wire. :doh:

I haven't wired/spliced anything yet. I wanted to get the 7 pin mounted first so I have something to wire to.

Now I'm all set and can start the wiring tomorrow. That reminds me, I still need to buy wire. :doh:

Oh, well good luck then :D...If you aren't sure where the brake switch is the FSM shows it. If you don't have a FSM then follow the brake pedal "lever" up behind the dash and push on the brake and watch the "action" of the lever and you should see the switch way up in there. The wire you splice into is on the side of the switch facing the dash (which will probably be obvious). Just not much to work with. IIRC I actually popped the connect off the switch to get a fighting chance at it. IIRC as well taking off the lower trim piece didn't help to get to the wire.

I will also be interested to see, after you get everything wired up if you have parking/running lights on your trailer. I installed a brake controller and the Hoppy 7-pin adapter back in April. My LX already had a 4-pin connector that I plugged into the Hoppy. All my lights work except for the parking/running lights which means I cannot trailer at night. I've wondered if it is because my existing 4-pin plug has a ground wire on it but the 4-pin on the Hoppy adapter doesn't have a ground on the 4-pin part, just an overall ground wire (big white one with the ring terminal) :confused:

Hoppy says it shouldn't matter but...

P.S. You need to tell Widmer brewery to offer their beer out of state! Nothing better than a good Hefeweizen, especially if you're actually enjoying one in Germany with some Schnitzel :)

Oh, well good luck then :D...If you aren't sure where the brake switch is the FSM shows it. If you don't have a FSM then follow the brake pedal "lever" up behind the dash and push on the brake and watch the "action" of the lever and you should see the switch way up in there. The wire you splice into is on the side of the switch facing the dash (which will probably be obvious). Just not much to work with. IIRC I actually popped the connect off the switch to get a fighting chance at it. IIRC as well taking off the lower trim piece didn't help to get to the wire.

I will be consulting the FSM. Yooper sent me the 80 series wiring FSM a while back. (Thanks Yoop!)

I really hate wiring, that's one of the reasons I'm putting it off 'till the end.

I will also be interested to see, after you get everything wired up if you have parking/running lights on your trailer. I installed a brake controller and the Hoppy 7-pin adapter back in April. My LX already had a 4-pin connector that I plugged into the Hoppy. All my lights work except for the parking/running lights which means I cannot trailer at night. I've wondered if it is because my existing 4-pin plug has a ground wire on it but the 4-pin on the Hoppy adapter doesn't have a ground on the 4-pin part, just an overall ground wire (big white one with the ring terminal) :confused:

Hoppy says it shouldn't matter but...

I remember reading your post on that problem in the last few days. I've been lost in search for a while trying to find as much info as possible. There's not alot, thats why I figured I'd do the best write-up with pics that I could...for the next guy. :cheers:

I noticed the Hoppy had the ground blocked out where it connects on the pigtail. I will definately let you know if I have the same problem that you do.

P.S. You need to tell Widmer brewery to offer their beer out of state! Nothing better than a good Hefeweizen, especially if you're actually enjoying one in Germany with some Schnitzel :)

It is good. :flipoff2:

Never been to Germany, maybe some day. :D

Heres a coulple to make you drool. I was contracted to design and buile these brush guards for a local trailer company. Never done before. This unit is on the show circuit now. Will be in Vegas next week. Looks like it would fit yours. What do ya think?
e7c88be9.jpg

e7c88be1.jpg

Heres a coulple to make you drool. I was contracted to design and buile these brush guards for a local trailer company. Never done before. This unit is on the show circuit now. Will be in Vegas next week. Looks like it would fit yours. What do ya think?
e7c88be9.jpg

e7c88be1.jpg

That's sweet!

So you use the brush guard as a step to get on the ladder?

I like the looks of it. Gives me some ideas. :cheers:

Tell you what, I'll send you a case of Widmer, you send me a set of brush guards. :D

Nice mounting of the trailer plug. I didn't have the stones to cut the cross member so this is my solution.
The bolts go into the pintle hitch mounts.
It is mounted off center only so that the backup camera is dead center for backing up to a trailer.

Since this pic was taken I have repainted the block mounting bolts and the stock receiver .
Hitch02.JPG

Have a Prodigy too. Seems to work just fine.
I mounted it above the left knee.

I ran the wires from the battery etc and finished them off with spade connectors. 2 different sizes, 2 different directions. I mounted the opposites on the wires from the controller. So I can move the controller between the trucks simply by plugging it back into the spades. Not as clean as buying an extra Prodigy connector, but cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom