Best spot to mount brake controller? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to mount the brake controller today, and was wondering where they are located for those of you who have them in your 80.

I bought the prodigy brake controller.

Here's where I was thinking:

The first place is 60º, the directions said not to go over 70º, so I'm good there.
PICT0001-21.jpg

Here's the second place. The way it would mount here gives it alot less of an angle, I don't know if that's better or not. I tested it while holding it there, and it doesn't seem like it would be in the way of my right leg while I was driving.
PICT0002-13.jpg

What say ye?

don't have one but i'd go right side if there is enough clearance. on the left side even if fairly high it will be vulnerable to leg swing every time you get in or out of the truck.

I mounted mine just to the right of the shifter on the center console. It's out of the way and I can get to it easily if I need to activate the trailer brakes by hand.

That area is a deformable structure, impact zone for your knees, legs in the event of a big accident. Think twice before mounting anything there, how would that handle feel embedded in your leg?:eek:

Here's a couple of pics-
Brake Controler 001-1.jpg
Brake Controler 002-1.jpg

With thanks to NorCal Cruiser, who got me thinking of alternate places to put it, I came up with the ashtray. We don't smoke, and since it's her rig for now, there are no plans for a c.b. in there.

First the dry fit.
PICT0007-9.jpg

It was a nice tight fit, but the bracket that came with it needed to be cut down so it would fit in the hole.

PICT0008-9.jpg

PICT0010-11.jpg

Time for a little break. :flipoff2:

PICT0015-6.jpg

I held the controller in the ashtray bracket where I wanted it so I could figure out where to drill the holes.
PICT0017-6.jpg

PICT0016-5.jpg

Another dry fit with the controller bolted to the bracket
PICT0018-4.jpg

Same, different angle
PICT0019-5.jpg

I pulled the dash back out to route the wires
PICT0020-5.jpg

PICT0022-6.jpg

The final install all buttoned up

PICT0023-5.jpg

Where it is located leaves me good access to the wire ends to attach to the brake switch, batt, etc..

PICT0024-5.jpg

Good Job!

My console is different on a 94, So if/when I do mine I think it will fit there (under the dash, above the console)

Now you just need to find a supercharger;)

While you had the dash open you should have wired some power for your Sirius unit and whatever else you have plugged into the lighter socket. You can use the same circuit - just cut the plug off the wire and hook it up to the supply wire on the lighter plug inside the dash, running it through a little slot or an air vent. It would save you from the nasty collection of wires sitting out all the time to get tangled in. The only thing I plug into the lighter socket any more is my cellphone charger, and I'm thinking of hard wiring that too, just leaving a little short wire sticking out through a slot in the dash panel...
teakettle.gif
:lol:

PICT0007-9.jpg

That's not too bad.. I would have no problem with it there, but my wife didn't like the location. :rolleyes:

It was quick and it works. I'd like to upgrade to a controller that is removable so I could keep it in the glove box and only pull it out when I tow.

While you had the dash open you should have wired some power for your Sirius unit and whatever else you have plugged into the lighter socket. You can use the same circuit - just cut the plug off the wire and hook it up to the supply wire on the lighter plug inside the dash, running it through a little slot or an air vent. It would save you from the nasty collection of wires sitting out all the time to get tangled in. The only thing I plug into the lighter socket any more is my cellphone charger, and I'm thinking of hard wiring that too, just leaving a little short wire sticking out through a slot in the dash panel...
teakettle.gif
:lol:

Brilliant idea!:idea:

I will break into it again tomorrow. (only 4 screws) and get to work on it!

It's funny, the ash tray was the place we kept the extra twist tied power cord for that Sirius unit. I think they give you like six feet of cord. :eek:

teakettle.gif
:flipoff2:

Good Job!

My console is different on a 94, So if/when I do mine I think it will fit there (under the dash, above the console)

Now you just need to find a supercharger;)

I told her that with the next tax return, if I can track one down, we will have one. :cheers:

It was quick and it works. I'd like to upgrade to a controller that is removable so I could keep it in the glove box and only pull it out when I tow.

The one I have does that. Comes with two mounting brackets. The permanent one (the one I used) and one that it slides in and locks in with tabs. You can also buy an extra wiring harness & wire another rig so you can take the controller out of one rig, put it in the other bracket, plug it in and go.

Kind of a cool idea & saves you from having to buy two controllers. ;)

Pics?

Sounds like a good spot and easier on the shins/knees
For sure on that! Having hung a bunch of CB radios, that under steering column spot will hurt shins, knees, and equipment!

I have the same controller. Its the best. I mounted mine under the dash on the left like you had shown. The only time I've hit it was with snow boots. Now, I would like to know more about that beer! I love german wheat!

I have the same controller. Its the best. I mounted mine under the dash on the left like you had shown. The only time I've hit it was with snow boots. Now, I would like to know more about that beer! I love german wheat!

I only wear snow boots maybe twice a year in her rig. We don't get snow here very often, only see it when we drive up to Spokane, WA to visit my sis.

I think it's much more accessible if you need to hit the trailer brakes where I put it, or where NorCal Cruiser put his. I don't know if I'll ever need to use the "override" though, since I've never pulled a trailer this big before.... I hope not!

The Widmer brewery is 20 minutes from my house. They have a nice pub across the street from their brewery that serves most of their beer... on tap.. :cool: Good sausage too. :eek:

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom