Best HVLP spray gun for the money? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I am looking to paint my cruiser. I am going to buy an hvlp gun and am looking for the best gun for my money. This will be my first paint job so the easier to use the better. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Mark:beer:

FineX FX1000 or 3000.

I've been using the previous generation FX100 for four years, and recently upgraded. I own an Aerospace Engineering company, and one of the things we do is manufacture high-end display models and mock-ups, up to about 6 feet in span. No orange peel (although this is mostly on the user, point being, it's easy on this gun) easy to use, easy to control paint flow and air flow, and good pattern control. I just paid 120 for a new FX1000, and it is a great gun. I haven't used the 3000 yet, but I have used the 300, which is the previous generation. I actually just shot primer and color with the 1000 today.

IMOP, I like to go slowly when I paint, so the flow rate on the 1000 is just fine. The 3000 is a bigger gun and has a bigger paint capacity. It is probably great for guys that are really good, but I've had problem keeping orange peel under control on that because because it's just so big. That, and since the 1000 is smaller, it's easier to control and more comfortable for painting for long times.

Sorry for the dissertation, hope it helps.

Whats the price on the Sata? Where do you get these guns. I was looking at the professional series from dare I say... Harbor freight. It was 39.99. Please don't think less of me about harbor freight it just that I have gone to the dark side and once there its almost impossible to go back!! hehehe:beer: Mark

We haven't had good luck with Harbor Freight. We started with some of them, but they clog and splatter. I wouldn't trust my car to them. I know the FineX and sounds like Sata are worth double the price or so. I bought the last gun from an ebay store.

There are alot of good options

I use a Devilbiss Finishline I bought from WWGrainger
Gravity feed Hvlp.

I have always enjoyed the devilbiss products going back to
my first JGA (conventional cup gun)

Devilbiss, Binks, Sharp, Sata all good guns

Sharpe guns are a little bulky but are good performers.
and used to be pretty good bang for the buck.

There are lots of copies of the above guns that can be had for
cheap. They work ok. I used to tell peeps that brought em in
for repair or bought parts (no guarantees the real replacement
parts will work)
that being said, I have cleaned and repack and repaired 100's
of the Binks #7 guns without a hitch

The users of the cheap knockoffs that I have delt with were
pleased as punch with the performance.

Ymmv good luck.

I vote one of the big 4 binks devilbiss sharpe sata.

Another route would be to buy a cheap knock off like you
are looking at with the understanding it isnt much.
tell y ourself it gonna be a primer gun. If it turns out to well on
finish coat.. whoopee no money wasted either way.

I use 3M....they are pricey but awesome. Also, I would not discredit the harbor freight guns. I have one and I keep it ABSOLUTELY CLEAN. It sprays nice, does not clog, and if maintained does a good job. Problem is people think because they are 50 bucks.....they can be treated like 50 bucks. I treat mine just like my 400.00 3M guns and it does fine.

Most good guns that are a 1.3-1.5mm tip and are of decent construction will spray fine.

See ya,

Dallas

I'm no pro, but I've had good luck with this porter cable gun Porter Cable PSH1 Spray Gun at Tools Plus. Especially for under $100. You I use a pressure valve at the gun and a dryer and got decent results. I like it better than a more expensive binks that my dad uses at his shop. (he's got a metal fab shop, not a body shop, so he's no expert either).

It would depend on how much you are going to use it I would say. If you are going to paint your rig and be done with it A cheep gun will do you fine. I did body work for about 6 years at a collision shop before joining the military and Sata does make some of the best guns around, Devilbiss also makes a great gun and might be a little more affordable. I bought a Sata a couple years ago and its a great gun. I got it online and paid between 400-500 for it but as long as you clean it good after every use it will spray as good 15 years from now as it does when you buy it. The last Sata I had for 11 years and only bought a new one because the technology had increased alot in spray guns.

I just bought this one HVLP TECHLINE Spray Gun I have not used it yet, but from the research I have done this is one of the best low priced guns you can buy.
Also you do not want to get a seperate gun for shooting primer.

this is a great thread. one question. what do the various tip sizes mean? I am seeing guns for sale with a big tip size range. I would be looking to put down primer, base and finish coats on a lot of finicky motorcycle parts.

e.g., this looks good for price but 1.5 to 1.8 tip is totally different from others

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Proper tip sizes vary by the product you are spraying. Get a Product Data Sheet for the brand of paints, primers and clears you will be using. It will give you tip sizes, air pressures, tack times, everything you need to know for that particular product.

thanks. i don't know what paint i will use yet but it seems that between .8 and 1.4 is top coat, and primer around 1.8.

any views on gravity feed vs. siphon?

thanks. i don't know what paint i will use yet but it seems that between .8 and 1.4 is top coat, and primer around 1.8.

any views on gravity feed vs. siphon?
I have both....and both cost under 20 bucks. I cannot tell no difference....maybe because its cheap? I love the paint pots....now those are awesome and not that $$$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom