Best gift ever? Yep. (an '84 FJ-60 for us) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So thats where that 10.5 BFG AT ended up. Very nice score on the 60.

Oh and graphite 60 rims the only way to go. :cheers:

Sweet find. Let me know any time you wanna hit up Yankee Hill or Kingston Peak (or anything near Idaho Springs/Central City)

So thats where that 10.5 BFG AT ended up. Very nice score on the 60.

Oh and graphite 60 rims the only way to go. :cheers:

Bingo. You knew I had a plan, right? Besides, I was happy to the the 9.50 get back to a 40.

Shotgun: I see what rear bumper you've got, I might need to meet up just to check that out. I get to the Boulder area relatively regularly (my Grandmother lives on Sugarloaf), so it's not exactly out of my way...

Good luck with the house, I think it's pretty cool you two are trying to do it on your own!

Thanks Chuck. We've been earnestly saving for roughly a year, and we've got cash right now to buy any number of 5 acre claims up here. Of course, we're looking for more than that (current favorite is 16 acres--roughly twice the price), but land should be purchased sometime in 2011, then we get to save to build...

A raise would be really, really nice right about now ;).

KXP7: nope, I grew up in the mountains of NM, but my wife and I have settled on the mountains of Colorado.

Dan

Shotgun: I see what rear bumper you've got, I might need to meet up just to check that out. I get to the Boulder area relatively regularly (my Grandmother lives on Sugarloaf), so it's not exactly out of my way...
Dan

For sure. Just drop me a line and I'd be more than happy to converse with a fellow cruiserhead

Hey congrats to you and Kate! Now what would be really cool is if both of you got raises and upgrades!

;)

Can't wait to wrench on a similar vehicle together!

:lol:

Me neither. We could even race to see who can do the knuckle job faster or something. ;)

Yeah, I'm "close" to upgrade, but it's realistically years and years away with the SLI. So what we need is a new contract. Being the lowest paid person on earth in your position gets old quickly (OK, there is one way to be paid less than me on this equipment--be junior to me).

On the plus side, if we can hold out for 100% retro pay then I'll be getting a MASSIVE check (like build-a-house kind of check).

Dan

Front Range Cruiser Freaks?

I'd be interested in checking out some more front range trails next summer. Living in Boulder Canyon.

Great story, nice truck and congrats on getting married! I want a 60!!! :crybaby:

These are just cell phone pics, and hopefully I'll have better ones later today or tomorrow, but....

The new tires finally came in (and my evil overlords of bosses let me off to go get them).

BFG AT TA/KOs, 33x10.50R15 on stock 60 series wheels (painted graphite).
tires 2.jpg

tires 1.jpg

tires 3.jpg

Not only do I think it looks a lot better with skinnier tires on it, but my goodness did it handle badly with 33x12.50s on the stock wheels. I thought I would have to replace the TREs and whatnot, but it turns out that with the new tires it handles PERFECTLY. Seriously, it drives just as straight as my '91 little truck, and maybe even a little less shimmy in the wheel.

Moral of the story? Don't have silly wide tires on skinny wheels--it drives REALLY badly.

Dan
tires 1.jpg
tires 2.jpg
tires 3.jpg

I found that out years back with my 85pu, that fat tires on stock rims is a no no.

I'm now running 9.5 wide on 8" rims, works really well.

Dan, it's so funny that we both got the same color 60's at right about the same time.

There has to be some serendipity in that!

Safe flying bro.

Dan, it's so funny that we both got the same color 60's at right about the same time.

There has to be some serendipity in that!

Safe flying bro.

Agreed. You'll probably jinx it by painting yours red, and I'll probably jinx it when I (re)paint this one tan. C'est la vie....

I won't know for a couple more days, but how's the last week of January/1st week of February look for a 60 party? I'm thinking of driving it down on the 26th/27th.... depends on how my February schedule turns out, but this axle needs rebuilding.

I just drove the 4runner back from California, and as many holes and stuff as it has, I was pretty impressed with the front axle job we did on it. Still drives perfectly straight, no shimmies, even in 4WD at highway speeds....

Dan

Couple updates:

1) My wife has given the 60 a name. Guzzler. It's funny because it's true. Aside from the mileage (lowest has been 12.4, highest 15.9), this thing is pretty sweet. Definitely like cruising on the highways with it, plenty comfy for me.

2) I'm doing the front axle job tomorrow. It'll be my style of bling, that is to say new hardware and powdercoated knuckles and stuff...

3) I bought new front doors for it, who knows how long it'll take for me to install them. They are blue, so we may end up with a repaint at the same time... But they are pristine doors from an FJ-62, because I wanted the power windows for the front, and now I'll have them.

4) Bad Mojo was up, and we drove it up onto a dirt pile. What was really cool is that the OME flexed much better than I would have expected. Didn't hit any bump stops, but did get a wheel off the ground.
60 1.jpg

Dan
60 1.jpg

Nice. I did some snow wheeling on CU Campus last night haha. Basically just drove up the piles of snow in the parking lot at 10pm......not sure what all them cool kids were looking at, it's normal to drive up piles of snow right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom