Best General Use tire for 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, I'm currently shopping for a used 200 to build a bit. It'll be a daily driver/road tripper with 90%+ onroad. I've had trucks with mud tires in the past, but it's been a long while and at the time, I don't think road noise or comfort was a concern anyway.

My question is what tire best fits the balance between onroad, comfortable, quiet travel, and enough offroad prowess to do Black Bear, Imogene, stuff like that. Are the KO2/KM2's a rough/loud ride? Are tires like Geolanders or Dueler Alenza's too much of a road tire (besides not looking nearly as cool)?

Would love some input. I'm trying to cost out my upgrades. Bonus if you suggest a matching wheel. Thanks!

Really depends on you. In one sentence you say you are doing 90% road but then you are looking at KO2/KM2? Those are kinda conflicting statements.

Personally, not a big fan of BFG simply because EVERYONE and their mother runs them. I have always heard mixed reviews but ultimately they are a tried and true.
Yokohama Geolanders STAY AWAY... Wife and I had a set of the road tires and they did not last 30k miles (rated at 55k) and that was with regular rotations on a 2008 Toyota Highlander. At work we have the more aggressive ATS on our company Rav4 and they are louder than my Cooper S/T Maxx on my FJ60.
Don't know about the Dueler Alenza though I normally see them running on pure street trucks.

Currently we run Coopers on our 11 4Runner SR5 and my 85 FJ60. On the 4Runner we put the HTP which is a highway/all-season tire as that vehicle is the garage princess and will maybe see offroad (we are talking dirt road and the very VERY occasional fire road) maybe a handful of times a year. They are quiet, get good fuel economy and have done very well in the snow for us. We bought from Discount and are religious about rotating and balancing without any issues. Wife travels a lot for work so wanted something that had a long life, was quiet and had good traction for snow/rain, general wet driving. We have had them for about 6 months now and zero issues.
On my FJ60 I am running 31x10.5x15 S/T Maxx which is what Cooper considers their extreme terrain tire (a step up from a traditional AT). I have been running them for about 2yrs now (will be in November) and they have done nothing but impress. Road noise and manners are EXCELLENT for a knobby tire. I have almost no MT tire hum at highway speed, with about 10k miles on them I am just now starting to have it develop in turns but that is it. Off-road they have not let me down in any situation. I have taken them 4wheeling with my club as well as the few offroad camping/fishing trips. This truck is my dirt dog, mountain biking, camping, hauling whatever rig so it sees quite a bit of use for random stuff like that. They have been run at street pressures offroad and been aired down to about 15psi and never missed a beat. I have had them in semi deep snow (bout 1.5' to 2') and they have done great in 4wd, in 2wd I do get a bit of squirm but nothing that wasn't easily correctable. To this day they still look almost brand new.

With that being said, there are LOTS of options out there so you will need to make a decision based on your budget, preferences, driving style and area, etc. That is your best way to look at it. Know what you plan to do with the truck and then go from there. Hell if you really are only going to use it offroad for very mild stuff maybe 1wk out of the year then you can get away with something more street oriented like the Cooper ATP, Michelin AT, or even something like a M+S tire. Actually you could probably by a SEPARATE set of cheapo steel rims and put some cheapo MT tires on them for those few times where you really feel you would need it (quick run to the store for a swap out would cost you maybe $50 or do yourself) and then you can have a dedicated DD set.

KM2 is not a tire you want to run on the road all the time if you are looking for a quiet ride. They perform amamzing off road. The KO2's have been having some cracking problems. Not sure if that's been fixed yet. KO2's are an A/T, KM2's are a M/T

Thanks for the insightful responses. I mentioned the K02 mostly because they're popular not necessarily because they're what I want.

I can't really do the cheapo swap option because I'll likely be driving 1000 miles and back to Colorado to use them. Hard to transport. We have some off road trails around austin that are mostly rock and gravel. We have Sandy beaches that we'll see about twice a year as well.

I'd say budget is probably under 250 a tire but that's flexible based on longevity.

My preference would be for a great all terrain tire that's comfortable and quiet enough to drive on wet/dry roads day in day out and still be good enough for the off road trails around Ouray. Ideally they would last 50k miles or more.

Bonus if they also look cool. I'd love to run some big badass mt but I'm trying to be realistic. Im a working fami

Hit post too soon... was saying I'm a working family man so most of our time is inevitably going to be routine daily driving. I wish I was off road more! But no use pretending. Might as well be comfortable

I'll second the coopers, I've been having excellent results from the st maxx on my tundra. Just put them on my fj60 as well. The at3's are a little less aggressive, my mother in law uses them and has had nothing bad to say about them on her suburban.

The maxx's are fairly quite, I notice a slight hum on the highway. But any of the more aggressive all terrain's will make some noise. You won't notice it over the radio at a normal volume though.

Need to double check the mileage on them but really I only have a slight hum in my 60 when taking on/off ramps with corners. Other than that I really don't notice any hum from them like would be expected.

If you are still looking for something that is going to be a good AT (not XT like the S/T Maxx) then I would say go with the ATP or AT3 from Cooper... MOST Discount Tires will price match their DTD and eBay sites.. I was able to get my 31s for about $20 cheaper a tire by pricematching the eBay store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom