Best FJ80??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I tend to think my 91 is pretty great due to it being so similar to the earlier models mechanically (really easy to work on) and reliable, etc.

granted, it is moves like a pregnant yak.

granted, it stops like a curling stone.

granted, the brake master just "lost its grommets" and is waiting for me to fix it.

perhaps the best 80 is the one you own and love? 8)

>> perhaps the best 80 is the one you own and love? <<

This man has insight. :beer:
-B-

Who gets to sweep in front of it? :rolleyes:

I like the comment that the best one is the one in your driveway. I have a 91 and a 94 sitting out in the driveway. And then when my folks come there is their 97 in the drive too, which is the nicest of all of them. The best one to me most days is the one my wife didn't take in the morning. I'm usually stuck with the 91. But I love the howl of the 35s on the highway with the sunroof open on a cool fall morning. I'm a big fan of the 94 just because it has the newer AC that you can afford to fix and it doesn't have airbags. I admit it, I'm chicken of wheeling a rig with airbags. And the 97 leather is better than the earlier stuff. Besides 91s and 92s are really the only true 80s anyway. The rest of them are 81s etc...

You are all just jealous of the mighty 3fe!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In all seriousness the best one depends on what you plan to do with it. if you are building a dedicated off roader than one with the e lockers is the ticket. If you want a bigger veh that can do some moderate trail rides then pretty much anything will do. If you plan to tow more than 1000 lbs ever stick to the 93 and up. I dont really tow anything on a regular basis and the 92 was in the best condition I could find after I killed my 91. Do I wish I had bought that 93 with more miles and birfs that were about to explode...... no. but Do I wish I had found a 94 with e lockers and 70k miles for less than my 92 hell yes but in Utah those dont exist.
God I am rambling away tonight.
basic is decide where you want to taek the rig and buy around that. just dont go through those woosy 1fzes as quick as junk or we will have to make fun of you.
Dave

might as well ask which series cruiser is best. going to get all sorts of answers.
though i wouldnt buy another 91-92 unless it was dirt cheap and too good to pass up :D
go with 93 and up and find one with lockers.

not that im unhappy with mine, just if i ever get another 80 it will be one with the 1fze and lockers.

just as long as i dont have to sell the 40, 60 or 80 to buy it :D

[quote author=Phaedrus link=board=2;threadid=5425;start=msg44010#msg44010 date=1064294155]
You are all just jealous of the mighty 3fe!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Holy crap. I was laughing so hard that I fell off my frickin chair and busted my head into the couch and almost spilled my diet coke.

3fe. heehee :flipoff2:

Photo_Cruiser or anyone else that can answer:

Where do you find a '97 WITHOUT leather??

Man..I searched the country.....I'm in Cali, and found it in Virgina and had it shipped out to me. Maybe C-Dan can chime in on this, but the PO who bought it, told me he 'ordered' it that way and had to wait 8 months to get it. '97 with cloth, with lockers, no roof rack, no running boards, no security alarm stuff....It is pretty much as bare bones as a '97 could be. He was either trying to be cheap, (although the lockers were a little extra $$) or he was really smart.

Anyhow..good luck...I have yet to see another 95 or newer with cloth. All the ones I see with leather, the leather is lookin not so good. But I hear it got better post '95. :D

Man I do love my cruiser, and as Cary says...if I could just get the farking thing back from my wife :beer:

She lets me wheel it though...it really is my rig..but don't tell her that :flipoff2:

I own those sierra pinstripes :D :D

Can someone post where in the VIN # you can tell if came with the lockers or not.

That information is not contained within the vin. A dealer can "run" the vin and determine how the vehicle was equipped when it left the factory. The door tag has codes on the bottom "A/TM" refers to axle and transmission an axle code of K294 is electric lockers, K292 is open diffs. If the tag is missing, the vehicle has most likely been wrecked or stolen/recovered.

Yeah..That's what I would do, cover the leather...the 97 cruiser I found was a frickin fluke...Guy posted it on ebay with no pics and a lousy description....all it said was lockers, cloth, no fancy stuff 20k...I flew out to Virgina..checked it out and bought it.... then shipped it home. that was in june of 2002, a 97 with only 40k on it...guy didn't even use it. I had to excercise the lockers a bit....idiot had some piss ass low profile pirelli scorpions on it...Poor Cruiser...all that capability and decked out as a road car. It's a different rig now..Lifted..Locked..Slee'd man it's a freekin' great ride

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom