Best FJ80??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I'm new to the Land Crusier thing. But not to Toyota, I have a 96' 4Runner, lifted, 33s and factoy rear locker. But I have been looking into the 80s as an option for a replacement.

What I want to know from yall is, in your opinions what is the best year for th 80, I'm trying to stay away from the expensive 99- and on up. Also what years were the daul factory lockers offered, that would be my prime choice, since I'm spoiled on having at least the rear locked.

Thanks in advance for ANY input.

18Sep2003 (UTC -7)

Check out the webpage of Sle Off-Road. It shows you the small differences between the years. Personally, there is no "best year". They're all consistently good, as Toyota (i.e. Araco) quality is known for. It'll all boil down to what year and what mileage for what price you wanna pay for.

BTW, I see prices posted in www.cars.com seem good.

Factory Lockers to my knowlegde were available after 93, when they also upgraded the engine to a 4.5 liter. I just bought a 93, my choice would have been 95 and above because of the airbags, but that will come later. For an extensive description go to:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

and I've been to someone elses site that posts here once with an EXTENSIVE list of Everything that comes on the 80.

Mine is the best...

94's had all the good stuff.

Nice try Bud ! All the good stuff ... sheesh !

*hands on hips..* Myyy '97 80 came with the coveted and little know Mauve curtains with decorative fushia kanji 0 OEM 0300497-0001 . Only available in April '97 production models ... I could go onnn and onnn about the many virtues of said option , but the main thing here is that you got stuck with a model with the s***y tranny and NO curtains ... sucks to be you ! :flipoff2:

][][ Tyler ][][

Oh ya stump, Just for your info there is a little family feud going on around here about the trannies. One group who believe the bus A440 is better and those who figure the more sophisticated A343 is the ticket. Problem is neither seem to be prone to any problems. There are also those here who argue the merits of the airbags in the later cruisers. There is alot in the archives about this subject, so check that out. I personally don't think it matters as long as you get the best you can afford. That said, I still feel ripped off everytime I look and see I don't have those mauve curtains.:D
Cheers,
Sean

>> personally don't think it matters as long as you get the best you can afford. <<

I agree with Sean 100% as long as you can afford a '97.

:D

-B-

(aka the resident A343 tranny bigot)

I'll swing at this pitch.

The best 80 is the one that is sitting in your driveway. All you need to do is decide the parameters.

Airbags, yes or no.
Engine, grunt or not.
Difflocks, yes or no.
What kind of refrigerant, R12 or R134.
Leather or cloth.
Real transmission or a 343 :flipoff2:
4 wheel disc brakes and FF rear axle, yes or no.
Cheap as possible or funds are not an issue.

These are most of the major bullet points. Once you answer those questions you will know what to look for.

D-

97 bud!

Lockers YES
Leather NO
Roofrack NO
Running boards NO
Lexus electrical heated everything/temp control/alarm crap NO
Lockers lockers lockers YES YES YES

1. one that is paid for
2. one with the f/r e-lockers option (93-97)
3. one where everything works and you bought with enough money left over for decent mods to suit your future use and to do all nec maintenance.
4. one which has either had a front birfield repack within 60k or is cheap enough so you can afford to do it soon ($1000 job)
5. one where you have checked the cooling system to make sure the rad is not blocked, and there are no signed of overheating around the head gasket (aka, crusties).
6. One where the oil has been changed regularly and there is no body damage or rust (check the tailgate for rust).

There is not enough difference between a 93 to a 97 to make the decision based on anything else but the individual mileage/condition/price of the truck. Mileage is personal preference. If properly maintained, the drivetrain seems to hold up to at least 250k.

Everything else is window dressing.

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=5425;start=msg42798#msg42798 date=1063942803]
Mine is the best...

94's had all the good stuff.
[/quote]

Dito for me

97's kickass :D

But, anything over a 93 is better then no 80 at all ;)

[quote author=fj40crusher link=board=2;threadid=5425;start=msg43169#msg43169 date=1064026277]
But, anything over a 93 is better then no 80 at all ;)[/quote]
LOL - cause 91-92 don't count as real 80's :flipoff2: :-X :flipoff2: :D :slap:

I like the old sheet metal better... :ban: :D

Of course, a 97 in the beautiful Aniversary Edition sahara gray color with lockers is the best. You guys and your cloth, leather is way easier to clean day to day and more comfy for my regal posterior. An alarm is good so I can keep said rig, electric seats? whay not? Seat heaters? I wish. See, I thought my little brother was going yuppie when he bought his '94 80, but then he toted my lazy air conditioned a$$ up this staircase in Moab that a couple of hot, dusty Jeep guys couldn't make. I believe the correct term is "Air Conditioned Gypsy"

NO TURKEYS! Give me all original and let ME f$&% it up myself!

Of course, I'm biased towards the last interation of vehicles, you know, the last year they were made. The year when everything had been perfected and tested. That means '97 for the 80, '89 for the Porsche 930, and I'll spare the wifey-poo from the last-best-year comparo!

Not to hi-jack the thread but....

'96 - the last year the of the Z before they made it FUGLY :flipoff2:
'98 - as a Porsche fan too, the last year of the REAL 911, 87-89 rocked too, hope to own one after the Z goes to heaven :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Since the thread is kinda quiet anyway...

Chuck, you're right about the Z, it went from killer to crap within a model year! I'd have gotten a 3.6 turbo but the 89 was the last of the MONSTER 3.3s with cheap (ok, relatively cheap) paths to 450+ HP...

Damn I love gasoline!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom