Best diesel engine for land cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As a diesel conversion owner, I have to put my two cents in this. Like the others have said, a diesel conversion is not something to be taken lightly. In all honesty, it doesn't sound like you are prepared. Sorry for my bluntness, but it needed to be said.

It's not just about mechanical abilities, tools, help from friends, shop etc....you also have to ask yourself- do you have time for this. You have to factor in family obligations, childcare, work obligations, etc. According to my wife, "all I ever do is work on that damn truck". And there's nothing wrong with the diesel conversion aspect of it. It's just a 22 year old truck that requires attention.

My suggestion to you is to find one that has already been converted and buy it. Even if you need to have it shipped from across the country (That's what I did). Trust me, just owning a diesel conversion, you WILL learn.

As much as I hate to do it, I'm actually considering selling mine because of the aforementioned reasons.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that an AWD xfer case is junk, it's actually a very strong, reliable system. In snow and icy conditions nothing compares to the 80's AWD. I personally have part timed my case, but that was primarily to reduce wear on the front end and get rid of driveline vibrations from the lift. Having the full-time case this time of year would actually be preferable where I live.
yeah i know its a strong case, i was talking electronic AWD control systems in general on a cruiser, electronic transmission control, axles always spinning, front shaft always spinning... junk to me for the same reasons that u switched your case. I just leave the hubs locked in if I'm driving in snow, click the 4HI button when I need to.
Don't get me wrong if the HDJ was an auto AWD i'd live with it but I very much prefer the 5 speed.

Last edited:
I didn't know cruisers came with 3.7 e-lockers. Which model?
PM me price and details please :cheers: Wiring not completely necessary, I figured a way to wire the toy e-locker on my suzuki with a DPDT switch.
I was under the impression that all factory diesel 80's came with 3.7 gears.

I was under the impression that all factory diesel 80's came with 3.7 gears.

yikes u had me worried there for a sec., thought there was no hope for me finding higher gears. Just looked up my axle code which is K295 - 4.10:1, limited slip in the rear. So 3.7's would be about 10% higher. So 2500 rpm would now be 2250 rpm or so. Would be very welcome but probably not worth the work unless e-lockers were included in the swap.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424223807.067037.jpg

Here are some stats for anyone thinking of doing a Cummins swap. This is from before and after my conversion. Almost identical miles driven now.

JDM came with 4.10 diffs
Euro spec, most came with 3.70.
I am thinking of going with 3.70 in my BJ42 for the same reason. I never wheel it so while have a truck that screams at 100 k/h when i can do a gear swap with 33s and have a quiet(er) ride AND better fuel economy?

I find the 1hdt has so much torque that 1st gear in low range is like driving a tractor anyway. I don't think I'd compromise anything offroad with 3.7's.
My BJ73 has H55F which has slightly higher 5th gear and it feels about right on the highway for that engine.

View attachment 1033090
Here are some stats for anyone thinking of doing a Cummins swap. This is from before and after my conversion. Almost identical miles driven now.
I think one of the most important numbers on there is range. regardless of how much money is saved I also hate stopping for fuel, especially this time of year.

View attachment 1033090

Wow, after you do the math those numbers shock me a little. In a good way. Is the price of Diesel still above three dollars in your area? We are averaging about $2.50 a gallon in my area at the moment. It probably will not last long.

I find the 1hdt has so much torque that 1st gear in low range is like driving a tractor anyway. I don't think I'd compromise anything offroad with 3.7's.
My BJ73 has H55F which has slightly higher 5th gear and it feels about right on the highway for that engine.
the BJ42 has the H55 and the .85 OD has helped but still not good enough for my tastes.
the HDJ81 could easily accept the 3.7 off road as long as your keep the tire size reasonable. that is one HEAVY beast off road. deep mud or steep hills and you might be wishing you had the t/case gearing of the auto.

There's too many people to reply to all in one message so I am just going to address all here
I am from Kentucky actually, 12 inches of snow with drifts up to 2 feet. Rain and sleet expected Sat. All colleges, public schools, and most businesses were shut down for the week.
I appreciate all of the comments, being blunt is necessary I agree. Yes I do know that it would be daunting and would be tough and I cant rely on friends. That is something I probably didn't think through too much. Yea I had planned on buying one that was probably already done just to save me time, but I could learn from tuning it and adding/fixing other parts etc with one already done. I appreciate the expert comments.
Yes I am still mulling it over and no I will not lose interest in it, thanks.
Cost savings I know will never recoup cost of swap, bio diesel is what I plan to get into because cost of diesel swap, reliability, and length of time I plan on having vehicle will repay me 10x. Also have to include the "fun" value with camping, wheeling, etc

the BJ42 has the H55 and the .85 OD has helped but still not good enough for my tastes.
the HDJ81 could easily accept the 3.7 off road as long as your keep the tire size reasonable. that is one HEAVY beast off road. deep mud or steep hills and you might be wishing you had the t/case gearing of the auto.
Tust me I would never wish for an automatic offroad! :) But seriously this thing will be light trail only, this cruiser is far too rare for me to wreck. I have the suzuki based rig with dual t-cases, lockers on 38's when I get the itch.

Best Diesel engine for a land cruiser? This one should probably work, might need to upgrade your U joints however.

wartsila_sulzer_rta96_ships_diesel_engine_articulated_tractor_truck.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom