Best diesel engine for land cruiser (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MAUBE is not answer We need someone with experience
There is no need for crazy power longest the engine can move the whole weight of the total body

"MAUBE" is not only not an answer, it is not a word!:flipoff2: But seriously, you are right. It would be great to hear from someone who has DONE this swap. But even then, power level is something that is subjective, and what is good enough for one person in one environment might not be enough for someone else.

I asked the same question on LCOOL. So far the few responses say maybe not enough power for the 80. I have driven a built 60 with stock gears and 35s with a turbocharged 3B and 5 speed. I found it to be more than ok power wise. Does anyone know the difference in weight for an 80 and a 60? Anyone with any experience swapping a 3B into an 80? Would the whole drive train including tranny and t-case be adaptable easily?

Edit: Just found curb weights... 80= 4600+/- and 60= 4250+/- Based on that, the turbocharged 3B should not be all that bad. I need to crawl under my 80 and somebodies BJ60 with a tape measure to check things out. I will do so at the first opportunity!

Just for note, even my slightly built 80 is at 5600# unloaded. #'s add up with armor, tyres, etc. Just .02.

80 frame

I believe the early 80s(91-92) share the same frame spacing in the front so a 3b would be an easy fit. Don't know about freeway speeds without a five speed.

I believe the early 80s(91-92) share the same frame spacing in the front so a 3b would be an easy fit. Don't know about freeway speeds without a five speed.

Is the frame wider or narrower in the later 80s? I would buy a complete BJ60 with H55F 5 spd if I were to dive into this. The ATX turbo specs show only around 130 horse power so that may be an issue. I am used to the old non turbo 60, which is NOT quick. I wonder if one turns the ip up a bit if that can be increased.

030.jpg

factory turbo 1hz

new to me but i love it would be a great swap

3b is way to small for an 80 my old forty had one and it was underpowered wouls be s***house with the weight of an 80 to cart around

That's a 1HD-T in the picture (not a 1hz)

1HZ is multi valve, was not factory turbo. The 1HZ variety with turbo was called 1hd-fte

030.jpg

factory turbo 1hz

new to me but i love it would be a great swap

3b is way to small for an 80 my old forty had one and it was underpowered wouls be s***house with the weight of an 80 to cart around

I have driven them all. 1HZ, 1HZ with after market tubo, 1HD-T. I even had a 1hdft V.X ltd 80 ser, all slow and just as thirsty as a 4.5 EFI. I would go with the 1hdft if I had to go with diesel. But first option 4,5 EFI.

IMOP the only valid reazon to make a diesel swap comming from a euivalent gasser ( from 1FZ-FE to 1HD-T ) it's coz you love diesels ..

I got 1HZ in mine....id say definately underpowered for the weight of the vehicle especially if you you start adding things on it like metal bumpers, gear, big tires and such. However, from my research very long lasting, reliable and better one made by toyota engine and still does the job even though its slow. Can also be very easily fitted a turbocharger kit from Australia for $3600 which will increase hp and torque by 50% each and will put it above 1HD-T. Also the 1HD-T and 1HZ share the same block so you can buy 1HZ and source the head and turbo from 1HD-T and off you go. Please correct me if im wrong on any of the above

This kind of debate is all about what you do with the car. If I drove to the airport once or twice a week I would like a 4.5 gasoline and you can really put your foot down. However, if like me you:

Do the airport run, DD around town, drive up and down river beds for much of the time between towns, range is great if you do the expedtion thing, and finally have you ever driven a diesel under water? Oh yes now you will not see a gasser doing that to often!

regards

Dave

so if in my case, I have a lx450 the only thing i have to change is the motor or anything else!

If in the States:

Cummins 6BT's are HEAVY!
Cummins 6AT would be a nice match but are rare.

So besides a 4BT ISB with balance shaft assembly my vote would be for a Mercedes 5cyl turbodiesel...
(4x4 Labs has a bellhousing adapter!!!)

I like diesels for their longevity and fuel economy/better range. Fact that they sound/vibrate/smell like a 10-wheeler is a great bonus :D

For a good drive on an 80, at least 400nm in the low rpm is needed. Mechanical IP...;)

good enough for me :cool:
1HD-FT.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom