Best diesel engine for land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 1033090
Here are some stats for anyone thinking of doing a Cummins swap. This is from before and after my conversion. Almost identical miles driven now.

To be honest the real and only attractive improvement would be 400 miles per tank range. I don't drive it enough to realize the ROI from fuel savings in 20 years....or more. But that range extension is a game changer.

This is what I have sitting in my garage waiting to be transplanted into my cruiser.
20150802_135145.jpg
20150802_134841.jpg
20150802_152140.jpg

...especially the new 2.8l duramax coming out later this year...

Has anyone attempted this yet? I'm curious what the pros/cons would be and what the price point would be compared to a Vortec or a 1HDT. From my perspective(at least on paper), the performance, size, availability of parts, and pairing it with 3.7s and (if possible) an h55f it could be a damn good option for an overland rig... Just a thought.

Best 80 series Toyota TD engine .. no doubt .. 1HD-T ( or 1HD-FT ) that would be expensive but will worth each dollar ..

Another option it's the 12H-T another great choice .. but again expensive and can be adapted.
LOVE my 1HD-T!

FWIW, the non turbo 2H engine in my old 60-series was bulletproof. Not fast, but tremendous power, zero electrics to foul up, and super simple to work on.

Also the 1HD-T was actually cheaper to buy here in east Africa than the 12HT, plus being more reliable from what I gather.

Best diesel for a Land Cruiser?

KTA! [emoji12]

Considering certain aspects (climate, price of fuel, cost of reparations, simplicity, economy, reliability, etc) probably the best motor for the 80 is the 1HD-T or the 1HZ. That is specially true in countries like mine, where conditions for a car are extremely harsh sometimes! Opinions may differ in USA or Europe.

In my mind 1HD-FT is the best engine smooth and plenty of power but a little more expensive than the 1HD-T.
But 1HD-T is the most reliable and easy to maintain over the world because every mecanics know it (it equiped cars and boats).

The 1HZ-T would be a good option but it is a very rare engine sonlittle know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom