Best diesel engine for land cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did not get the engine or the body , but I like to get the engine before the body , so what is the best diesel engine to put in land cruiser , I m going to get 1993-1997 body
I m not crazy about power for towing all I m looking for engine you can trust I know all Toyota engines r good but what to put in land cruiser and not worry to much

And if someone can tell me what is the most common problem with recommended engine

If you can find one, the one that came in the 80 is the clear choice since it came with it.

cummins 6bt, fit like a dream, bullet proof, and tons of power

Depends.

Depending on if it is a DIY swap or you pay someone, you will need some fab skillz to DIY.

Cummins 4B: loud, rattly, mechanical diesel, so no computer crap and a pretty rock solid motor. Requires a 4" lift to fit it cuz it's friggin tall, can fit a few different trannies, decent power, decent on the highway with a manual or OD tranny. Easy to source parts for. Plenty of 80 swaps have been done, so plenty of tech put there. Check out 4btswaps.com

Cummins 6B: cheaper than the 4B, quieter, longer block so space in the engine compartment can run out easy, but a really solid motor. Some of the same trannies will fit. Also, easy to source parts for, there are a quite s few of 6B swaps out there, so some tech also to paw thru.

Toyota diesels: spendy, harder to source certain parts for them but damn fine motors. Great if you can get one mated with the tranny already, better if you can get the whole front clip to have all the bits and pieces. Cool to have the Yota motor in the cruiser.

Izizu, Mercedes, etc...: Less common, but there are some good options out there.

edit:

check here: http://www.proffittscruisers.com/engine-conversions-/diesel-engine-conversions.html

and here: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

Last edited:
Best 80 series Toyota TD engine .. no doubt .. 1HD-T ( or 1HD-FT ) that would be expensive but will worth each dollar ..

Another option it's the 12H-T another great choice .. but again expensive and can be adapted.

I will get whole front clip and I will do all work I m interested only in Toyota engine

I will get whole front clip and I will do all work I m interested only in Toyota engine
Parts also not a problem, for now I m doing some research and I will pick only one engine so more info I get that is better
:clap:

Yeah if you are going Yota, the 1HD-T would be the way to go, the 1HZ (maybe turboed) would be my second choice before the 12HT. Those 2 will be a little easier to source in the Estadio Unidos or Canada and they are still current production motors, so the parts train might be a little longer:meh:

1HD-T anore not longer an production engine .. 1HZ is .. and 12H-T well all we know that was such a great engine and that's why was very short production.

1HD-T anore not longer an production engine .. 1HZ is .. and 12H-T well all we know that was such a great engine and that's why was very short production.

What are they putting in the brand new 80's coming out of Venezuala? (is that spelt right?:hmm:)

regards

Dave

What are they putting in the brand new 80's coming out of Venezuala? (is that spelt right?:hmm:)

regards

Dave

Well 80 are no longer available as brand new Cruiser out from the dealer in Venezuela ( creo que era el último lugar del planeta donde salían nuevas ) the last year thought was 2008 ..

Another important point it's in Venezuela they are full gasser .. they never ( para que con gasolina gratis ) saw any Toyota diesel engine from their factory

It also depends on where you live and the air pollution laws. States that don't have stringent air quality mandates usually defer to the EPA. Toyota never had an EPA certified diesel in the US.

Post in the diesel section, some have had good luck with vehicle registration even in difficult state. In CA, we're SOL

:doh: That's right, they still make the 1HD-FTE, right?

Would be nice to get the 8, 1VD-FTV:grinpimp:

Not as far as I know .. the current engine in production it's the 1VD-FTV / 2VD-FTV and 1HZ ( for some countrys like here )

Well 80 are no longer available as brand new Cruiser out from the dealer in Venezuela ( creo que era el último lugar del planeta donde salían nuevas ) the last year thought was 2008 ..

Another important point it's in Venezuela they are full gasser .. they never ( para que con gasolina gratis ) saw any Toyota diesel engine from their factory

Thanks for the update,

Mucho gracias amigo

regards

Dave

I asked the same question on LCOOL. So far the few responses say maybe not enough power for the 80. I have driven a built 60 with stock gears and 35s with a turbocharged 3B and 5 speed. I found it to be more than ok power wise. Does anyone know the difference in weight for an 80 and a 60? Anyone with any experience swapping a 3B into an 80? Would the whole drive train including tranny and t-case be adaptable easily?

Edit: Just found curb weights... 80= 4600+/- and 60= 4250+/- Based on that, the turbocharged 3B should not be all that bad. I need to crawl under my 80 and somebodies BJ60 with a tape measure to check things out. I will do so at the first opportunity!

Last edited:
about a week ago, I saw this 40 that had a GM 6.2TD? which I believe they tweaked the engine a little bit, with GM transmission and transfer case, In other words, they used everything from a GM old military pickup or a Blazer and gt it transferred to the 40. The vehicle performed flawlessly and it looked pretty easy for a DY. On the noise department, it was pretty quiet, lots of insulation. I'm thinking that when my 3FE dies, this would be an option.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom