Best 18" Tire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And the GY MT/R Kevlar tires had gotten rave reviews from all-points users especially on snow and ice where the prior MT/R sucked to put it plainly :).

Are the new MT/Rs that much better in snow and ice? It's almost time to replace the MT/Rs on the 4Runner and I get lots of snow and ice.

Are the new MT/Rs that much better in snow and ice? It's almost time to replace the MT/Rs on the 4Runner and I get lots of snow and ice.

Night/day difference. The MT/R Kevlar version is vastly superior on ice, firm packed snow and most snow/ice conditions one sees while driving typical roads. My experience on snow and ice mirrors users testimonies I read before committing to this tire 18-months ago. This performance perimeter along with they make "my" size was high on the list for deciding factors.

But you won't get the kind of mileage you get/got with the prior MT/R version. I'm probably looking at around 25k miles for these whereas the former were 35k miles due to the prior's apparent harder rubber compound. But no compare on performance on and off-trail.

Did you get your lift on OregonLC? Did it cure the rub? Did you take any pics?

Yes, yes, and yes!

IMG00293-20101224-1501.jpg

IMG00294-20101224-1503.jpg

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/91953-100-series-picture-thread-95.html#post6195315

Running boards:)

ok, ok, ok.... I'm gettin' in from both you and loudy tonight!

so hear's the deal... momma's got one on the way so we need the step and a little cash-poor at the moment due to starting a business (among other things), so it's gonna have to wait a bit longer.

looking forward to seeing what MetalTech comes up with for their sliders. they're very close to me and I'd like to support a local vendor if they come up with a good product (no knock on the other guys!). they have an open house on Feb 26th, so I hope to see something then.

so wait, it's ok for you to keep the running boards on your lifted truck, but i have to take them off my stock one?

For the record, I still like my 18" Toyos, both the AT & the MT.

so wait, it's ok for you to keep the running boards on your lifted truck, but i have to take them off my stock one?

For the record, I still like my 18" Toyos, both the AT & the MT.

When did I ever give you grief about your boards? :confused:

And... the lifted truck actually needs the step! But geeze boys! It's not like I don't want to change them out! Since neither of you have experienced the wrath of a unhappy :princess: in her 3rd trimester you'll need to cut your boy a little slack on the whole board delima, eh? :bang:

Looks great. I just found a set of Tundra take offs for $150. How much did you raise the front to get rid of the rub? I didn't see you mention spacers anywhere. Due to the them being small 35's and narrow?

Looks great. I just found a set of Tundra take offs for $150. How much did you raise the front to get rid of the rub? I didn't see you mention spacers anywhere. Due to the them being small 35's and narrow?

It has the OME 866 springs + t-bars, so it's roughly a 2.5" lift with no weight on it. Even without the lift, the rubbing wasn't significant enough to cause any concern.

No lift

305/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers.

I am going to tweak the front torsion bar a bit to level it out.

No rubbing at all.

Another TG fan! Nice!

Another TG fan! Nice!

When I built my last 100, they offered a 33 x 13.50 x 18....old school sizing like that.

I just put a tape on them and they are 32" tall and 12" wide.

1170178240_ehAZi-L.jpg

When I built my last 100, they offered a 33 x 13.50 x 18....old school sizing like that.

I just put a tape on them and they are 32" tall and 12" wide.

Those look great on an unlifted cruiser! IIRC, my 295/70/18's measure just under 34 loaded.

this thread was a good read for me and re-inforced what i'm going to go with:
295x70x18 Nitto Trail Grapplers.

I have found a place in Sydney (Oz) that will ship to my door and per tyre it's at $370 (AUD) but i'll have to get another quote closer to when i am ready.

Also, i found a place in the USA (Summit Racing) that will ship the Pro Comp rims i want. They're quoting $USD175.95 + shipping to Oz for one rim, and that's not factoring in the current Oz dollar at $1.07 USD !!

My quote at a local dealer here in Oz for one rim was $AUD450 !!

This is the link to the rim at Summit. I'm pretty sure this is the right one with the 5x150 stud pattern.

Search Results for PCW-7047-8955 - SummitRacing.com
cheers
peter

Peter, those wheels will net you near 4" wider track width compared to stock...is that what you want?

Peter, those wheels will net you near 4" wider track width compared to stock...is that what you want?

I believe stock size is 265 series width (pls correct me if I'm wrong, I only know the 275 width bias in the pre-03 models)

That being said, a 295 series should run about 3cm wider per tire; about 1/2 of that protruding wider per side, equaling a total of 3cm (or just over 1 inch) in total width increase. I'm not sure if I'm missing something when you're saying he'd be 4" wider...

EDIT: Corrected, the stock size is 275/60/18 meaning there's even less of a difference, a total of about 2cm in width (less than 1" total track increase)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom