Best 18" Tire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
So here's yet another 18" tire debate. Pretty much have it narrowed down to either:

305/65R18 BFG T/A KO which is a 33.6" tire
-or-
295/70R18 Nitto Terra Grappler which is a 34.2" tire.

I like the MT's, but with a 75/25 highway/offroad mission I'm not sure I want the noise of a MT.

Leaning toward the TG for price looks and review, but a little concerned about the 34's on a yet-to-be-lifted truck.

Any other recommendations or thoughts?

Last edited:
If you are looking at the Nitto TG in 295/70/19 it is listed as 34.4. I don't know of anyone that has run that tire without a lift. I am running 275/70/18's (now lifted) but they worked fine prior to lifting.

Typically when you get into the 305 tires the width changes things a bit and the lift will not help. Some folks love them, others complain about the weight, reduced mileage, etc.

My personal preference between the two listed is the TG. I have had a couple of different sets and for an "all around" type tire they have served well.

I think you will be happy with Terra Grapplers if you want a quiet and great handling tire on highway with admirable capability offroad in everything but the stickiest mud or deepest snow. I ran the 295 on my FJC for almost two years and they wore like iron with half the tread left or more at 36k miles....and a 5 tire rotation every 4k miles.

The 305 will be big and a little wider than the 295 if not mistaken...the wider the tire the more noise it makes as well. I am not sure I would want mine any wider to be truthful...check for yourself.

I bought 285x65x18 Nitto Trail Grapplers....noisier than the Terra Grappler but less so than a Super Swamper or other aggressive tread pattern. It fills my fender well out fully and still looks good when I am in HIGH mode on AHC. Check out the fill in my build thread.

I almost went 295...but was worried about it rubbing too much with such aggressive tread and tearing up fenders...as not putting on regular lift until the AHC dies on me.

Pics below are of my tires with suspension in Normal mode on AHC...
(no lift)

Second pic is in HIGH mode of AHC...at Uwharrie...rear tire is stuffed a little due to weight transfer to that back corner on this section but front is about normal.
5126.jpg
4853037264_d8fa0b9142_b.jpg

I think you will be happy with Terra Grapplers if you want a quiet and great handling tire on highway with admirable capability offroad in everything but the stickiest mud or deepest snow. I ran the 295 on my FJC for almost two years and they wore like iron with half the tread left or more at 36k miles....and a 5 tire rotation every 4k miles.

The 305 will be big and a little wider than the 295 if not mistaken...the wider the tire the more noise it makes as well. I am not sure I would want mine any wider to be truthful...check for yourself.

I bought 285x65x18 Nitto Trail Grapplers....noisier than the Terra Grappler but less so than a Super Swamper or other aggressive tread pattern. It fills my fender well out fully and still looks good when I am in HIGH mode on AHC. Check out the fill in my build thread.

So how noisy are the Trails G's? They look great, but I'm concerned about the highway drone. A very similar option would be the Toyo MT's OPEN COUNTRY M/T | Toyo Tires They have a 33x12.5R18 which may be a good size too. Or a 275/70R18. A little skinny, perhaps?

Despite the great reviews of the Nitto TG, I just can't get past its sidewall design. Plus, I just love the classic look, style and design of the BFG AT—you know it's a BFG AT from 100 feet away. I had two sets of BFG AT's on my '96 4Runner and loved them.

I went with the 275/70-18 BFG AT. My only concern was that it wasn't RMA Severe Snow Traction rated. Here is the reply I got from BFG/Michelin:

"The BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO in size LT275/70R18 (part # 15465) does not meet the RMA Severe Snow Traction performance requirements given the tire has slight modifications due to original equipment specifications and the tire has not yet been tested. Unfortunately, we do not know when the testing will take place with the RMA."​
Reading between the plys, I read that as "It's pretty much the same tire, but because of a few differences they didn't rubber-stamp the rating. We're sure it's going to pass as soon as RMA gets off its arse."

BFG lists it as 33.2" x 11" on an 8" rim. It's measuring a little shorter than that in the garage, but we'll see once it's mounted and aired up. I picked up five (5) 275/70-18 BFG AT's from discounttires.com for $997.50 shipped! You'd be hard pressed to beat that price for a 33" all terrain, regardless of brand.

Thanks Peanut. Do you have any pics showing fender gap and width from the front/rear?

Not yet. I'm having my wheels refinished—they're bubbling/peeling/flaking—so the BFG AT's are still in the garage. I have a mock up picture here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/91953-100-series-picture-thread-124.html#post5999944

I have a 1.5" coil spring spacer in the rear, and I have cranked the front torsion bars to level. In the picture, I drove the 100 up a set of ramps to approximate the ride height post-BFG install—any other jacking method would introduce suspension compression or droop.

So how noisy are the Trails G's? They look great, but I'm concerned about the highway drone. A very similar option would be the Toyo MT's OPEN COUNTRY M/T | Toyo Tires They have a 33x12.5R18 which may be a good size too. Or a 275/70R18. A little skinny, perhaps?

There is some drone...but not the whaa whaa whaa whaa I am used to with other aggressive tires.

Turn on the radio to normal setting and I dont notice. At speeds below 10mph you can feel the lugs on tires as you slow down or leave a stop...but I love them. Very tough sidewalls and your choice of sidewall designs...depending on taste. :D

There's a used set of Toyo MT's in the classifieds—50% tread remaining approximately. I mention that because I'd be concerned about the Toyo MT's on-road handling as they wear. Loud has the Toyo AT's on his LX and loves them.

And the MTs on the other...which have definitely gotten louder after 20k miles.

Obviously the ATs will handle better but the MTs ain't bad either.

Ive heard good reviews of the dunlop hybrid tread design, i think its the radial rover max traction

If you are looking at the Nitto TG in 295/70/19 it is listed as 34.4. I don't know of anyone that has run that tire without a lift. I am running 275/70/18's (now lifted) but they worked fine prior to lifting.

Typically when you get into the 305 tires the width changes things a bit and the lift will not help. Some folks love them, others complain about the weight, reduced mileage, etc.

My personal preference between the two listed is the TG. I have had a couple of different sets and for an "all around" type tire they have served well.

I'm assuming all these tires (on most all these posts) have an "E" load rating? Can anyone speak as to how that affects the stiffness and ride on the truck?

I have a set of Michelin LTXs that are "D", and they are very smooth. I hate to sacrifice the road ride, but new tires are a must....

E's are definately stiff sidewalls and noticeably different than stock tires. Having said that, I don't think they ride that bad at all.

E's are very much stiffer than others....some hate that...I look at it as extra protection for my sidewalls. I would rather have a little stiffer and tougher sidewall and not worry about gashes and cuts on the trail leaving me stranded than a couple bumps on road.

It is a trade off..durability and toughness versus comfort and shock absorbing qualities. I want durability and toughness...within reason.

Then add front and rear bumpers...12k winch....skid plates....cargo drawers...recovery gear...camping gear...dual battery system and before you know it the rig rides like a Limo again. :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
E rated tires on a stock weight rig would be very stiff on the ride comfort scale. Now add 2,000+lbs of mods and gear along with a 300lb tongue weight then the ride quality on those E rated tires gets downright friendly :D

BTW: I love my Goodyear MT/R Kevlar's. In addition to every other on/off-road condition I've driven if you have to drive on snow/ice they provide fantastic grip considering they're an MT tread tire. And the truly bizarre thing about the GY MT/R Kevlars: They've gotten LESS noisy as they've worn!

Spresso -

Aren't those uni-directional? Do you do a five tire rotation? Just curious,

Thanks,

E's are very much stiffer than others....some hate that...I look at it as extra protection for my sidewalls.

E rated tires on a stock weight rig would be very stiff on the ride comfort scale.

Does anyone know of ANY AT tire for an 18" wheel that carries a 'D' rating? Do those not exist?

The only ones i can find look more like street tires...there has to be something out there, right?

Spresso -

Aren't those uni-directional? Do you do a five tire rotation? Just curious,

Thanks,

Yes they are uni-directional. I typically rotate front to back: No other reason I don't involve the spare other than pure laziness :D. The spare is a 1/2 worn MT/R Kevlar.

But right now I have two newer MT/R Kevlars up front and two 1/2 worn on the rear...long story but I had to get two new tires apart of our spring Utah trip...I destroyed one tire...not the tires fault at all though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom