belt change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all thought I would chime in on this one.
Just finished putting the fan cluthc in the pig last night and thought I would add my two cents...
noted while changing the clutch on mine that the belt form the clutch to the alternator was a bit loose, went to adjust and all out of room on the alternator. so looks like new belts for me next week.
to the point, does anyone have a good write up for changing the belts on these. my rig is a 92 (3fe kicks ass!) thanks for all input.
Dave :beer:

Go OEM or Napa Gold (bates) at a min, though I do not think it seems to matter as much on the 3FE. I put NAPA gold (ribbed) on my '96 and they are not loud and seem to be good quality. I had Napa Gold on my old '88 and never had a prob, though they made a little more noise than perhaps OEM would make. OEM seem to be quality. When I got my '96, it still had original with 123k on them.

Replaced mine in Dec. Easier with two people, but can be done solo(w/patience and much #6). The only problems I had were:
1. Either take off the fan shroud, shrink your hands, or get a bit creative with the extensions and universals.
2. don't forget about the idler pulley under the A/C compressor.
3. The alternator was the most pain to adjust. I had to take the adjuster assembly apart, rotate the alt all the way up to get the belt off, even with the PS pump loose.

All in all, a :banana: and :beer: :beer: :beer: job. Oh make sure the stealer gives you the correct belts, non ribbed.

Hey all,
got the belts now I just need time to get them on. going to Moab this weekend, Washington to look for a house next weekend then dragging a trailer wiht all of my belongings to washington the weekend after that. Is this a solo less than two hour job? or do I need 3-4 hours to pull it off.
Dave :beer:

I'd say 2 solo,if you are really being patient, but no more than three with minor problems. Without help, you may have some trouble keeping the belts aligned withthe pulley/s on the bottom end. I used a yard stick to keep them in place while I routed the top end.

about 6x :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom