Behr paint vs Kelly Moore or Sherwin Williams

Discussion in 'Workshop and Home Improvement' started by Cube Dweller, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

Going to paint our 2000 sq ft house (inside) starting Saturday and need some advice.

I have a bias towards using KM or SW paint under the perception that both are better quality paints than what you can buy at the box store, but it's not based on any data, just perception. Through work I can get our corporate discount at KM, which gets interior flat down to around $28/gallon. Looking through the latest Home Depot circular, their equivalent is on sale for $20/gallon.

So, is there really a difference? Is it worth the premium?
  2. AJP

AJP

I have been looking at Benjamin Moore "Aura" in matt for a similar size place. Low VOC and apparently anti mildew etc ...who knows but it seems well regarded although I have not used it. I have used Farrow and Ball - and it is excellent - applies well and covers quickly - colours look good. fwiw.
  3. -Spike-

-Spike-

Dunn Edwards is the stuff to use, although you'll pay through the nose for it. We call it 'Pudding paint' in reference to its consistency. It covers and wears better than anything else I've ever used, and pretty much every professional painter I've talked to that has used it says the same thing.

-Spike
  4. Weedhopper

Weedhopper

Behr is half water.

I did some painting with Behr. The next time I was too lazy to drive all the way to Home Creepo so I stopped at the new SW store.

Night and day quality difference. It costs more initally but I bet it comes out pretty even at the end. Plus you deal with someone who knows something about paint.
  5. RavenTai

RavenTai

used to uses behr paint in th 90's it peeled off the walls in a few years, grandpa used SWP and I have recently started using it also, costs more but much better coverage.
  6. EdsCruisin

EdsCruisin

Behr paints have been receiving top credits by consumer reports for some reason I can't figure. We used it because of that and the price, but every time it dripped and slumped on the walls. Best ceiling paint I've used is Glidden and SW has always been good IMHO. There are better paints too, but you will pay dearly. Low- or no-VOC is smarter, but not widely available. SW does have it. Good luck.
  7. titanpat57

titanpat57 SILVER Star

Man..tough question with alot of different answers..I'll throw in!

I had a construction business for 22 years prior to coming to the college where I work now..so that being said, I've always used Ben Moore paints..and never, ever been disappointed. We use all Ben Moore products here with the exception of some specialized coatings by Endura (we use it in a HVLP) to spray rubber coated steel mesh furniture.

My hands down favorite pound for pound is the contractor "Superhide" line. Comes in 5's or gallons, in flat eggshell or semi gloss. I use it in all the dorm rooms and what a beating it takes.
    For your trims.whether it's oil or latex, use the best. Satin Impervo(oil base) or Aqua-Glo (latex) will go on smooth and lay out nice and flat. Always make sure the finish you using over is existing are compatables (ie. you can always tell if it's latex by putting a little alchohol , no, not beer, on a rag and do a test spot...if it's a latex it'll come off on the rag.

As with any paint job it's all about prep...fill and sand smooth, clean up all dust, use the best paint brushes and rollers, etc. Your local Ben Moore store can set you up with materials used by professionals...don't scrimp, there is no magic bullet. Also insist that if your doing a paint job that size that he gives you a contractor discount (at least 15-20% off the ENTIRE sale)..if he won't, say thank you and walk out and go the next store..my bet is no fool is going to let a sale walk out the door in struggleing economy.

SW also makes some great coatings, but wouldn't be my first choice.

Best of luck, Pat:beer:
  8. Thornton

Thornton SILVER Star

Find a Duron paint store. They had what they called Vinyl Plastic Flat. Went on in one coat and wore like iron. Behr sucks !
  9. ptmacp

ptmacp

For what it's worth, I used Behr 5 years ago to repaint my house. It claimed to have an anti-mildew function but it wasn't 2 years before the mildew returned. And it's peeling off of the trim. I'll spend the $ on something better next time, which could be pretty soon.
  10. Michael Hanson

Michael Hanson

Never had a problem with Sherwin Williams super paint.mike
  11. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

Ending up going with a combination of Kelly Moore and Sherwin Williams. Both have great counter help, I guess I'll know in a few years about the durability.

12. EricG

EricG SILVER Star

To late I guess, but my uncle has been a painting contractor for decades. He swears by Sherwin Williams.
  13. ttahara

ttahara

Shoot i was too late I was going to put my 2cents in about using Pittsburgh..
  14. fsusteve

fsusteve

This is weird, I've always had good luck with Behr. I wonder if they've recently changed their paint.
  15. -Spike-

-Spike-

I always thought Behr was decent, until I tried good paint.

-Spike
  16. IBCRUSN

IBCRUSN

SW or Beni Moore anything else commonly available and you'll be disappointed. Was a painter years ago and worked for SW for a few years as well, both have a great product.
  17. cruiser88

cruiser88

I used SW at the Greenbrier for years with never any trouble