Beatdown FJ Cruiser rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.westtexasoffroad.com
Howdy folks, this will be my first build thread on here so if I break protocol or anything, please correct me.

I just picked up an abandoned FJC off of a ranch in west Texas. It's had an extremely hard life and the previous owner let me have it for next to nothing with a promise to give it a good life.

I've built several Toyota's for other people but this will be the first for myself. So feel free to give me some pointers. Criticism with be gladly accepted but please don't be an ass. That's why I'm here and not on pirate.

Like the title says this poor thing is beat down. He used it like a one ton truck on a ranch and bashed a lot of brush with it. It has very severe inner fender cracks that run all the way back to the firewall. This resulted in radiator, condenser and grill problems.

Long term goal with it is a high pinion king pin D60 with coil overs but still just a family rig to go to Katemcy or Moab.

Short term I'm going to have the front end fixed and put a 6 inch rough country lift on it so I can make the land cruiser round up.

Pictures to follow soon.

Here she is. Hood latch is ripped completely out so I have to have a ratchet strap to keep the hood off the windshield.

ForumRunner_20130208_165257.jpg
ForumRunner_20130208_165257.jpg

Sounds like a good project truck. I would reconsider the RC 6" lift and consider a 3" instead. Do some research on the 6" lift over on the blue room about them. Several guys ended up removing them and going with a 3" instead.

Looking forward to see what you do with it.

The RC is definitely a short term lift kit. It will get a 3 link and a Dana 60 but I really want to make the cruiser roundup next month and the lift isn't going to cost me much so...

If its short term lift why even bother with a RC? Why not a cheapie used OME or even get used Coilovers- either will end up being much easier to re sell down the road than a 6" kit to get that money back. Or just wheel it as is...it's not like that thing can't take some more abuse before ur rebuild. Looking forward to the end result. I love sas fjc's

Bobby normally I would agree with you but I'm into the 6 for almost nothing. Plus it's a motivator for me to fit 37 inch tires that I have. I know it's alot of wasted labor but again it will get me motivated too.

I did wheel it at the opening weekend of Katemcy and had a blast with it. I am used to doing the hard trails but still got a lot of places that no one thought I could get. I just have to have more clearance before I go back.

D60's front and rear? If you're in the RC for really cheap, I say go for it. Sell it and the good stock parts later on and make some of your money back.

Don't get fooled into thinking you'll fit 37's on the FJC and still be able to drive it.

If you want to throw money away, go with the RC 6" kit. Best advise has been provided above, a solid OME/Ironman/etc kit will allow 35's and still wheel the piss out of it. Drop bracket lift kits do not increase off-road ability in my not so humble opinion.

Yet, do as you wish in the short term. Study other's who have done a solid axle conversion on the FJC, know the issue with wheel sensors and ECU compliance, unless you don't mind driving with "xmas tree lights" on the dash or use tape/cut wires to eliminate them. Also, see Sol's reply to another thread below who had issues with his SAC.

I'd love to find a salvage as well, although I'd be looking at dropping a diesel into it before doing a SAC. Good luck...

Is the inner fender crack issue still a problem on the new FJ's?

Wow how does a truck get that beat up in only 69,000 miles. Is the guy so rich that he can afford to best the s*** out of the truck?

Zack

Coach, thanks for the warnings.

This is gonna make you really chuckle. The real tire I want under it after the sas is a 40. I just happen to have some 37s. But again the 6"was almost nothing. The only waste its labor.

Also I will work through the lights problem for the ones I want and hack the rest

Zack, my buddy at the dealership is checking to see it there are updates on the inner fender wells as we speak.

This little jewel goes to a local body shop tomorrow for those repairs.

Oh and the previous owner is a super nice guy but he needs to own a tank.
He loves to bash through the trees and brush while hunting. And ultimately that's what killed this cruiser.
It died on a ridge line so he just left it there and went and got a new TRD Tacoma.
So I'm trading some work on the taco to make it more bash proof for the cruiser.

Mtbcoach said:
Don't get fooled into thinking you'll fit 37's on the FJC and still be able to drive it.

If you want to throw money away, go with the RC 6" kit. Drop bracket lift kits do not increase off-road ability in my not so humble opinion.

Agreed on all accounts.

Go right to the SA, and expend all efforts allocated to the 6" lift to reconditioning/baselining the mechanical.

The nominal benefit of 37s when compared to the detractions on the driveline doesn't warrant the effort, and I'd bet cash money there'd be very little the 6" lift with 37 s would be capable of that a stock FJC with decent tires wouldn't.

I've spent an all out fortune on the FJC and can wheel with the best of them (FJCs) but it still doesn't crawl like an SA'd rig ( but I can hit even the roughest terrain at 60, no problem.......too bad that's typically only the crappy Oklahoma roads).

In retrospect, I contended the most bang for the buck in off road capability improvement is the TC and tires. Both of those on a stock FJC would be capable of keeping up with any of the overbuilt, mine included, long travel set up, and cost exponentially less.

Sounds like a good SAC project starter, but all kinds of hurdles to "do it right".

thelakerat said:
Dropped off at the body shop today for repair in the inner fenders and skirts.

Anyone ever had any luck getting Toyota to pick up the bill on this type of problem?

I don't think that a TSB was ever issued and if any modifications were done, it wasn't covered under any warranty.

A few have successfully battled for, I believe.

You'll wind up needing to cut the fenders with +37s, anyway, possibly extend the outer depending on D60 junkyard find axle width.

May be better to rebuild the inner completely, at the very least, reinforce.

Well I'll find out in the next day or so if they are going to fit the bill. If not I might me rebuilding so I can make them more open.

I test fit 37 on the ground and don't see a problem with those. My 40s on the other hand might be an issue

In a straight line at ride height, 37s will fit.

Turned, they're apt to run on body mount or inner fender seam rubber cover.

Stuffed, they'll rub everywhere, possibly the firewall, all considering IFS remains.

FjNewb here on Mud expensed a lot of effort to maximize wheel travel with 35" PBs, which are probably larger than 35", and inevitably opted for different tire, and the fender well work was extensive.

Maddog ran 40s on his.

image-4127708828.jpg

Think plnfixr was on 37s, both SAs, so is sbechtold.
image-4127708828.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom