1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery drain

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by nats-fj40, Jan 1, 2003.

1. nats-fj40

nats-fj40

I hear that the most common reason for battery drain is the regulator? I've done most the rewiring on my cruiser, don't blow fuses, can't find a short or nuthin' but my batt will be dead if I leave it connected for a couple days of not running it. (red to Optima) Is there an easy home brew test for this? btw it's converted to a one wire chevy alt. internal reg.

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Put a test light between the negative terminal and the disconnected negative cable. If there is a drain, it will light the lamp. Disconnect things until the light turns off. Be sure to disconnect the underhood lamp first, if you have one.

3. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Probably obvious, but maybe not.
    Pull fuses to eliminate systems that are fused.

4. fresno-lc

fresno-lc

make sure the alternator is hookes up to the side of the fuse block that is only on when the key is on i had mine huked up to the rong side for about a month and if i didnt disconect my batery every time i got out of my car then i would need a jump :'( high school kids are brutal if u need a jump evry day and ity gives them the rong inpresion about land cruisers and its realy just cause it was wired rong.

5. dargreg

dargreg

Media:
    I Had to put a relay in the 2nd and 3rd plug in on the alt. to stop the drain relays are excited by ign curcuit. they are the 2 relays on the right, the left one is the glow relay.Oh alt is an ordinary single post chev with plug in.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009