Barefoot Expedition Trailer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is my attempt to document my expedition trailer build. At this point I feel that the trailer is most of the way through fabrication, but nowhere near finished.

First, I must give credit where it is due... I found this thread
https://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-te...expedition-style-trailer-build-up-thread.html
while searching for information on RTT's and It should be very obvious that I am impressed with and borrow heavily from REZARF's design.

Frame
Most of the frame is 1/8" wall 2"x4" tubing.
The tonge is effectively an extendable receiver which will allow for the use of a Max AT hitch.
DSC01958.jpg
IMG_0387.jpg
IMG_0390.jpg

Suspension
I am using the springs/hangers from an early 90s 2wd toyota pickup.

Axle
The axle is from ABC...
-3500 lb w/ electric brakes
-2" spacers used to allow the use of matching wheels

note the bags of concrete for balast to double check spring hanger locations
DSC01972.jpg
IMG_0520.jpg

Body
REZARF's method of body construction (thin tubes and sheetmetal) works for me, so I "borrowed" it.
I laid out my plan on graph paper first and then re-did it at 1:1 scale on poster board. Then it was a matter of cutting the tubes and piecing it together.
the sides are 16ga that I had bent at a local steel vendor. The floor is 14ga.
DSC01979.jpg
DSC01980.jpg
DSC01977.jpg

Last edited:
random parts notes...
The hinges are welded to the tailgate and lid, then bolted to the tub.
The tailights are standard m-series LEDs that work on 12v & 24v systems.
The Gas springs are 250lb units from mcmaster.
The entire center section of the trailer will slide out like a drawer. I found a used bedslide on CL and shortened it to fit. It will eventually be decked with marine ply.

This is my first attempt at fabrication so this has been a slow process, but I am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.
I welcome any questions/ comments you may have.
DSC01999.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice work. :clap:

I have an idea, which I thought of with REZARF's design and yours. Why not hinge the rear tailgate at the top? With a good set of gas shocks, it would actually be a great way to A. not break taillights re: rezarf. But would also be a cover and a source for lights supposing one was to put a camp stove and other stuff that otherwise does see use in the dark?
But I am truly impressed, for a first timer at fab you are very skilled. Look forward to you build.
Great taillights, post where you got those for sure.
Also really innovative and great frame design.
J

Nice work!! Quick question since it's still early in your build...what did you use as a brake to bend the side panels?

They are corner or framing vices. Not sure of the brand but this gives you a good idea. Awesome tools. If you're patient and have a welder you can fab your own using angle iron and various sizes of Vice Grips. I don't recommend the ones Harbor Freight offers, didn't have any luck with them being square at all.

Strong Hand© Tools

I'll find the article that showed how to build the corner vises and add it.

Last edited:
IBCRUSN,

Post #4

Body
the sides are 16ga that I had bent at a local steel vendor. The floor is 14ga.

those are some nice side panels.

Just curious, how much do you think you have invested into it?

Dam...devil is in the details.

I haven't had much luck finding the link I had on how to fab the corner jigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom