Baofeng help for a jump start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ccasteel

SILVER Star
Threads
I bought the Baofeng off Amazon with intentions to take the class for my license. I haven't gotten around to the class but want to take the radio on a backpacking trip in case of emergency. Are there any tips, tricks or advice that you can help me with. I tried searching here and youtube. I mostly ended up finding reviews of the radio. I may have missed it in all the small type, but I didn't find the manual particularly helpful.

1. How do I find what channel I should tune it to?

2. How do I tune it to that channel?

I'm sure the class will help, but that will have to wait until after this upcoming trip. Thanks for any help.

channel tuning is easy, just punch the 6 digits into the pad and it will switch over. However, if your step up/down is not adjusted properly you may not be able to get the channel you want. There is a pretty good youtube video out there that covers the operation. Finding channels will be as simple as google search the area you are heading to along with HAM frequency or emergency HAM. That radio won't get out very far though.

Thanks half k. I have been travelling so much lately I haven't really had time to play with it. i found some channels in Colorado that may work for me. I realize its reach is limited, but we are not going deep in the back country. They will be day trips that hopefully with keep us within reach of someone. We will be on regularly traveled trails and I wasn't ready to invest in a spot.

Thanks half k. I have been travelling so much lately I haven't really had time to play with it. i found some channels in Colorado that may work for me. I realize its reach is limited, but we are not going deep in the back country. They will be day trips that hopefully with keep us within reach of someone. We will be on regularly traveled trails and I wasn't ready to invest in a spot.

What channels did you find ? I am heading out there on Sunday and haven't looked up any of the local HAM frequencies.

Edit: just found this, might be helpful HAM radio information thread

No wifi in Chicago O'Hare for the laptop and my phone is struggling to reach the site. But, this link is in my history. I'm pretty sure it's where I found some frequencies near Salida, co. I was going to look it up again when I'm back in town.

https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/index.php?state_id=08

Hopefully this will work. Where are you headed in Colorado? We are going to be in the Salida area starting Saturday for a few days.

We made these plans with friends before I realized it was the weekend of tac event at flat nasty. Rosey was super disappointed when i told her.

Where are you headed in Colorado? We are going to be in the Salida area starting Saturday for a few days.

We made these plans with friends before I realized it was the weekend of tac event at flat nasty. Rosey was super disappointed when i told her.

I will be North of you just past Buena Vista starting Sunday. I think we are going to run several of the trails between there and Salida.

There's one that runs East from Salida. You catch it on the back side of S mountain. Takes you through a ghost town called turret, and then on to green mountain which is covered in Aspen. It's not particularly challenging, but it should be beautiful this time of year.

Have fun. I'm there with a buddy and a couple of our kids. At least one evening we'll eat at a local micro brewery in Salida called Amica's. If it works out maybe we could get together for a meal.

Rob, Rosey told me we can't miss any more. So I'll see how it looks to go to Tuttle. She can't miss any more school. Landcruiser is down for the time being. So we'll be in our new to me lx470.

Download "chirp" software for free on your laptop and then you can type in channels you want into your laptop file and download onto the Baofeng. Makes it way easier. You can load all NOAA, plus the popular local frequencies locals clubs use. And also set your offsets that way.
Antenna loaner is a nice offer, take it! It will help lots on reception side anyway. And let Rosie skip school for good trips! KE0-CYS

You can use the FRS bands without a HAM license. There are other bands you can use in addition. If you really got into a situation, it would be best to understand the local emergency bands - - its not legal to use them, but if you are in a dire situation, it would be good to have them on your radio given you can't use HAM 2m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom